Cooler Master Silencio 550 Quiet ATX Tower

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
amjedm

Re: Cooler Master Silencio 550 Quiet ATX Tower

Post by amjedm » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:57 am

kopilu wrote:45.2 cm total (including feet)
Many thanks.

I think the Coolermaster won't fit.

garryd

Re: Cooler Master Silencio 550 Quiet ATX Tower

Post by garryd » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:15 am

Became aware of this case yesterday through an advert on a page I was visiting, I like it very much as it's plain enough to go in the living room without looking too much like a computer, big enough to put a proper system into, and it's considerably more reasonably priced than the ultra high end media pc cases around that no-one stocks anyway.

I am disappointed at a few observations though and I'm sitting here wondering if I could modify the case to resolve any of them (I've never done it before and I'm not a metal worker so might not be sensible to even try):
> The hole in the motherboard tray isn't quite big enough to clear the CPU cooler mount on some boards.
> There should be more cable exit holes down the edge of the board (front panel side of the motherboard tray).
> Brush strips or flappy rubber bits should be fitted to all cable exits which would be neater than holes, though being matt black does help to hide them.
> I would prefer to remove the bottom drive cage and fit a smaller 2-drive unit front-to-back orientation so air blows through from a 2nd front fan.
> The PSU intake underneath should be larger with more metal removed so airflow is less restricted.
> Behind the PSU the case floor should have holes punched for additional air intake, filters fitted of course.
> The empty void at the top of the case should be filled with sound deadening foam.
> And the most obvious mistake the designers overlooked? The case should be 20mm wider to cater for enormous/passive heatsinks.

Personally I also wish the external connectors were optional with a blanking plate fitted if prefered other than the bare minimum - a single USB3 and headphone socket. If Cooler Master were to make a standard plate used across all their cases you could customise what, if any, additional connectors you add to meet your own needs: a card reader and microphone-in, firewire ports, more USB3 connectors (no point using USB2 connectors as USB2 devices will work in a USB3 connector and you don't limit the speed of faster USB3 devices).

For absolute silence I'm thinking of using a SSD for the OS and a quiet hard drive in an accoustic enclosure fitted to one of the optical drive bays, and ommiting the optical drive in favour of an external USB drive connected only when required as much of the time media can be streamed and discs replaced with mounted images running from the HD, though I'm yet to see if this can be done for BluRay. I'd also look at whether quieter more efficient case fans exist and investigate graphics card options which is a seperate thread in itself...

If anyone has modified one of these cases I'd like to see pictures and hear your story, or if anyone is capable and wants to help me modify mine I'd be really happy to hear from you...