Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Tower

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Tower

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:22 am

Just an update: got new hardware and got the Define Mini.

If anyone is wondering if the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 will touch the ModuVent on the side panel, that's a yes in my case. However only the top heatpipe ends touch, leaving marks some 2-3 mm deep, suggesting either the mobo or the vent cover is slanted (or maybe even the cooler, but I find that unlikely with Noctua's design). The vent cover material is also very soft, so there is only marginal stress on the cooler, if any at all.

It was a very nice case to build in, and I put the case on a desk due to deeming the floor a bad place for cases (falling objects and liquid tend to head down there, assisted by gravity), so the bottom filter issue was resolved too.

Recommended, especially considering how affordable this sturdy, silent and handy case is.

JJ

Post by JJ » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:Case: Define Mini.
Parts: Asus P8Z77-M PRO mATX, i5-3750K stock (using iGPU), G.Skill 8GB 1600/CL9 DDR3U, Xonar XD, WD AAKS&EARS, m4 128 GB, RX-5300.
Cooling: NH-U12P SE2 push only, Fractal Design 2x120mm in + Noctua NF-P12 ex.
Extras: Eaton Protection Station 800VA UPS, Benq G2400W 24", Qpad MK-50, Razer Imperator, Buffalo LS-XHL NAS, Netgear WNR3500Lv2.
Das_Saunamies,

What do you think of the stock Fractal Design 120mm fans? Where did you place the extra Noctua NF-P12 fan? Are you using ASUS Fan Xpert to control the three case fans?

I'm considering a very similar build right now - P8Z77-M Pro, i5-3750k and Define Mini.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:03 pm

I went with the Noctua as the exhaust - least resistance, most use for airflow. Most exposed fan too, noise wise, so wanted the quietest of the bunch.

The stock fans are nice enough. Not silent, but certainly quiet at low RPM, like the SPCR review described them. Sleeved cables even, for neater looks and routing. One of mine now exhibits a little rattle, inaudible through the door, and another rig I helped with had a clicking fan, so sample variance may be an issue.

I use Fan Xpert+ and I'm quite satisfied with the results. It was remarkably easy to set up, so I doubt you would be disappointed, unless you want to run fans at less than 40% drive or turn them off - and in that case SpeedFan may be able to help now or in the future.

Would definitely recommend the build; cost-effective, quiet and frustration-free.

PS. The mobo just got a new BIOS update, so getting the shop to flash it for you might save you some time and heart palpitation.

JJ

Post by JJ » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks. So you have the two FD fans in the front and the Noctua in the back as exhaust. That's what I was planning - three fans in those positions. Remove the top drive cage for better airflow, then one SSD and one HDD in the bottom cage with a slow fan in front of them.

But I'm still debating getting three Scythe 1300 RPM PWM fans, for what I've been convinced is better fan control (in one of my other fan threads).

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:21 pm

JJ wrote:Thanks. So you have the two FD fans in the front and the Noctua in the back as exhaust. That's what I was planning. Remove the top drive cage for better airflow, then one SSD and one HDD in the bottom cage with a slow fan in front of them.

But I'm still debating getting three Scythe 1300 RPM PWM fans, for what I've been convinced is better fan control (in one of my other fan threads).
Happy to share experiences!

With 1 HDD that sounds fine. Due to the poor airflow of the FD design, I had to split my 2 HDDs up, otherwise they reached mid-40s (Celsius).

I've had Scythes, S-Flex, Kama and Slip Stream in various flavours, liked them all. Definitely better sounding than FD, very smooth was my overall impression. If you're not after absolute silence and pristine soundscape, I would try with the stock fans first though, since Scythes can be expensive. Diminishing returns and all that.