Cryorig R1 Ultimate & Universal CPU Coolers

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Cryorig R1 Ultimate & Universal CPU Coolers

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:18 am

Olle P

Re: Cryorig R1 Ultimate & Universal CPU Coolers

Post by Olle P » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:22 am

It's quite evident that a mismatch in fans is bad for the acoustics.
I'd like to see a sound/noise profile for the XT on its own though.

Since these fans are also sold separately it's nice to know if they're any good for use as case fans or substitute for other fans.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:59 pm

For me its disapointing, specially with all the hype its goin out on the web about this cooler. I was hopping performance close or better than silver arrow / genesis.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Abula wrote:For me its disapointing, specially with all the hype its goin out on the web about this cooler. I was hopping performance close or better than silver arrow / genesis.
Because of its variable fin spacing design, it seems designed to provide highest performance with high airflow. From their web site:
The individual tower stack is separated into two sections, the loose air intake and the high density exhaust section. By the laws of fluid dynamics, the increase in fin count in the exhaust section squeezes airflow and increases exhaust air speed. The increase of airflow speed in our Jet Fin Acceleration System™ allows heated air leave the tower faster.
and from a recent email exchange w/ them:
Due to fin gap design, they need the extra rpm to get air into the thinner gaps. And we also modeled the fans blade shape to fit this purpose as well.
Our comparison tables start at 20 dBA and go down from there, which means we're looking at way below their peak efficiency. Maybe have a look at performance differences at maximum airflow -- we haven't, but the data is there in our reviews.

Avalanche

Post by Avalanche » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:04 pm

The individual tower stack is separated into two sections, the loose air intake and the high density exhaust section. By the laws of fluid dynamics, the increase in fin count in the exhaust section squeezes airflow and increases exhaust air speed. The increase of airflow speed in our Jet Fin Acceleration System™ allows heated air leave the tower faster.
It sounds like they are explaining the heat sink as a nozzle, as though 100% of the air passing through the first fan and fin set also passes through the second fan/fin set. But if that were truly an advantage, we'd see coolers that were closed on the sides.

Mrc112

Post by Mrc112 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:42 am

Got the new pc with the Cryorig R1 Ultimate and according to asus suite 3, my fan can go as low as 328 rmp ?
Wouldn't this affect the results ? (don't know the performace yet on this speed, I'l planning on some OC'ing once I got everything installed)