It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile Cooler
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:00 pm 

What effect do the low noise adapters have? Noticeably quieter or just barely? Significant decline in cooling ability (CPU runs hotter)? I'm finally about to order this thing and trying to get a better understanding of whether or not I should use the adapters.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:12 am 

How does the push/pull orientation work? Does the 120mm fan push air down onto the heatsink while the 92mm fan pulls air up from the CPU to the heatsink?

I'm new to dual fan CPU coolers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:16 am 

Both fans pushes the air down towards the CPU. This configuration is often called push-pull, since the first fan pushes the air into the heatsink, and the second fan pulls air out of the heatsink.

If you use the fans like you describe you'll end up with a tug of war situation; the fans work against each other.

Push is usually more efficient in quiet systems than pull, which is good to know when using a single fan.
It never hurts to try different setups tho, especially if you have a PSU with a fan right above the heatsink.

In short: always make sure the airflow direction is the same for all fans.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:00 pm 

I just installed an NH-L12. Is it supposed to sit tight on the CPU when the screws are all the way down, or is it ok to be able to rotate the heatsink a few mm above the CPU? The later is what happens with my PC.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:22 am 

Immanuel wrote:
I just installed an NH-L12. Is it supposed to sit tight on the CPU when the screws are all the way down, or is it ok to be able to rotate the heatsink a few mm above the CPU? The later is what happens with my PC.

More often with some specific TIMs (such as the AS 5), and particularly when there's a tad of it in excess, you can *vey slightly* (1-2mm) rotate the heatsink base over the CPU heatspreader, either on the left or on the right (I mean, when the cooler screws are all the way down).

Anyway, you may easily double check your build by heating the CPU (Prime95 small FFT or IBT would work well, in case).