Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
sssttt

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by sssttt » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:00 am

kuzzia wrote:Do you have any idea of which motherboards can use Fan Xpert 2 the same way as your motherboard?
Sorry for the late reply, but my assumption is that FanXpert 2 works with every Asus motherboard, at least the Z77/H77 range. Possibly Z68/H67 too, but it's real easy to download and try for yourself. Downside is that AI Suite is very hard to uninstall and will require manually cleaning the registry to get rid off for good (there's like 30 entries left at least).

But thankfully you won't have to try FanXpert at all because Speedfan version 4.47 beta 4 is able to control fanspeeds on Asus Z77 motherboards, from 0% to 100% like it should be (except the cpu fanheader which can only use pwm for speed control and therefore is limited to the minimum rpm the pwm fan supports).

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:26 am

nizer wrote:
Bar81 wrote:The information regarding board support for Fan Xpert 2 is incorrect in that the Sabertooth Z77 is also supported.
The Asus Maximus Gene V also supports Fan Xpert 2 according to the manual's list of specifications.
Confirmed. I have the Gene V.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:41 am

sssttt wrote:
kuzzia wrote:Do you have any idea of which motherboards can use Fan Xpert 2 the same way as your motherboard?
Sorry for the late reply, but my assumption is that FanXpert 2 works with every Asus motherboard, at least the Z77/H77 range. Possibly Z68/H67 too, but it's real easy to download and try for yourself. Downside is that AI Suite is very hard to uninstall and will require manually cleaning the registry to get rid off for good (there's like 30 entries left at least).

But thankfully you won't have to try FanXpert at all because Speedfan version 4.47 beta 4 is able to control fanspeeds on Asus Z77 motherboards, from 0% to 100% like it should be (except the cpu fanheader which can only use pwm for speed control and therefore is limited to the minimum rpm the pwm fan supports).
Good thing if true. Only reason i bought the Gene V instead of a simple Z77 was for the fan control of fan xpert 2.

sssttt

Post by sssttt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:21 am

AckeDman wrote:Good thing if true. Only reason i bought the Gene V instead of a simple Z77 was for the fan control of fan xpert 2.
Well, it's definitely true for the P8Z77M-Pro. Except I had the issue I had to manually reload the fanprofile on every reboot. But I've read the same is true for boards that officially support FanXpert 2, or does it work correctly for you?

Anyway, I'm using Speedfan now and I think it's superior to FanXpert 2 in every way.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:01 pm

sssttt wrote:
AckeDman wrote:Good thing if true. Only reason i bought the Gene V instead of a simple Z77 was for the fan control of fan xpert 2.
Well, it's definitely true for the P8Z77M-Pro. Except I had the issue I had to manually reload the fanprofile on every reboot. But I've read the same is true for boards that officially support FanXpert 2, or does it work correctly for you?

Anyway, I'm using Speedfan now and I think it's superior to FanXpert 2 in every way.
Fan xpert2 is working for me. I have no issues with it really.

bsh

Post by bsh » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi,

after my msi motherboard died after less then a month, I switched to the Asus P8Z77-V deluxe, because its layout is similar, and because it can control 3-pin fans - I use Noctua ones exclusively.
The first really painful surprise was, the cpu fan header can only control 4pin fans, but the chassis fan headers should work with 3pin fans, as I read. So i connected the rear exhaust fan to the cpu header, as I wanted this to run at full speed (which it does), and connected the cpu fans to the chassis fan header #1. Other case fans are connected to the rest of the cha fan headers.
Here's my problem: for me the fan speed control does not work. The NF-P12 case fans run at around 950RPM, and the NF-P14FLX cpu fans run at around 750-800 RPM (and they only speed up to around 850 under full load on the cpu.)
It does not matter what fan setting I set in the bios (normal or silent), the speeds remains the same. In manual mode, only the fan duty cycle can be changed (which should be irrelevant for 3pin fans), and it can't be set to less than 60% anyway.
So I'm not sure what's going on. I can only think of this fan control only works via the fanxpert software (which i didn't install), and the bios alone can't do it. (Therefore it won't work under linux either.)
Could anyone please help? I'm very frustrated because I chose this board because of the supposedly awesome fan controls.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:02 am

Asus chassis fan headers seem to supply around 7V to 12V to 3 pin fans if the BIOS is set to the Silent profile. The reason for the minimum 7V is probably because starting voltage is a potential issue with 3 pin fans and 7V should be enough to guarantee that a 3 pin fan will start on power up or reboot. At 7V the NF-P12 should run at something like 800 rpm according to test data published by SPCR. However this is thermal control based on the CPU temperature and will be affected by both system and ambient temps. The 950rpm of the NF-P12 would approximate to around 8.5V which sounds feasible.

You could try using the Noctua LNA adapter between the motherboard chassis fan header and the fan, which provided the fan starts should allow a lower rpm range.

bsh

Post by bsh » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks. I did this with the msi board because of the lack of 3 pin fan support. But the real problem is, the asus board does not seem to control the fans at all. They run at a fixed speed all the time, with variations that are within the +/-10% rpm tolerance range of the fans. Or does this happen because all the fans are controlled by the cpu temperature, which stays rather low, and the board thinks, there's no need to ramp up anything?
Would I get better results (lower rpm's at idle and better fan speed "response" on demand/full load) if I'd invest quite a bit of money and replace all the fans with newer pwm fans from noctua? Or is it just a waste of money?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:34 am

bsh wrote:Would I get better results (lower rpm's at idle and better fan speed "response" on demand/full load) if I'd invest quite a bit of money and replace all the fans with newer pwm fans from noctua?
Yes you would get better results from using PWM fans. The Asus BIOS Silent profile for example holds PWM fans down to a minimal duty cycle (starting at 20%) until the CPU temperature hits around 40C. With the combination of the Silent profile and Noctua NF-F12 as a CPU cooler fan you would see idle speeds of around 350-400 rpm. The Noctua NF-P12 makes an excellent chassis fan. Ignore the chassis fan headers and run NF-P12 PWM fans as a PWM chain from the CPU fan headers. Your motherboard has two CPU fan headers that makes this easier. Noctua supply PWM Y cables and PWM extension cables with their fans so this can be done without the need to buy extra items which helps offset the cost of Noctua fans. Using NF-F12/NF-P12 PWM fans in combination with the Asus BIOS Silent profile would give you a system that would be extremely quiet at idle or under light to moderate system loads.

To give specific details the 3 pin Noctua NF-P12 delivers around 800 rpm at 7V and this is the lowest speed possible using the Asus chassis fan headers. Using the Asus Silent BIOS profile and the Noctua NF-F12 as a CPU cooler fan I can calibrate this fan using Fan Xpert which on my system delivers these figures (duty cycle/fan rpm):

20% 299
30% 390
40% 602
50% 767
60% 897

My current idle speed is 350 rpm with a CPU temperature of 31C and system temp of 34C. According to Fan Xpert the NF-F12 would not hit 800 rpm until around 55% duty cycle when the CPU temperature would have to be 52C. This is with a single NF-F12 as CPU cooling fan, intake and exhaust NF-P12 PWM fans all run as a chain from the CPU fan header and the Asus BIOS Silent profile. I run Fan Xpert under Windows only as a monitoring tool not for fan control.

Similar results could be obtained with any of the fans that can get down to 300 rpm under PWM control. This would include some Scythe SlipStream/GlideStream fans and the Be Quiet! 120mm PWM.

bsh

Post by bsh » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:23 am

*sigh*
Thanks. Looks like I have to take this step with PWM fans. :? Too bad they cost over 100€ here. (2x NF-A15 + 3x NF-P12 PWM) and only available at one webshop which I don't really trust. I'll wait a bit til they pop up in other stores as well. And to replace the front intake fan in my case I'll have to remove the hard drive cages and basically everything. Not a good case that is. But one must not change the fans every other day, lol.
Well, thanks. I'm still quite disappointed in asus fan xpert. :cry:

edit: I replaced all fans (including the 2 NF-P14FLX'es on the cpu cooler with NF-P12-PWM's. now the box is really much quieter and the bios fan control actually works now.

Max_s

Post by Max_s » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:35 am

hi,

Anyone tried to run Fan Xpert 2 on Asus P8Z77-M non-Pro motherboard?

Max_s

Post by Max_s » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:09 am

I'm glad to confirm that Xpert2 works also on Asus P8H77-M Pro board. It has 4 fan connectors: power-fan that does not have controlat all and runs at full speed, cpu-fan + two additional chassis fan connectors.

With cpu-fan header only 4-pin fans can be controlled and it is limited to the minimum fan speed (which is quite high and noisy for the fan delivered together with intel-cpu). - Can owners of other asus-motherboards confirm this please?

Two chassis headers allow to control the speeds with Xpert2 from 0 to 100% depending on the cpu temperature - also with 3-pin fans, which is quite nice, I think. Except for one thing - there is no possibility to control the two fans separately. Probably, same voltage is delivered to both 3-pin fans, and in my case at minimum above 0% one of the fans has 200 rpm (which is fine), but the other almost 400 rpm, which is a bit noisy. Again, please anyone can confirm that it is not possible to control the both fans separately on other asus-motherboards.

Unfortunately, also the latest speedfan could not control fan speeds. Although, I'm not so sure, if I've used correct options there, and will try to play around.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:55 am

@Max_s: that was the case of the ASUS boards since... well i think forever, my S775 boards were the same - CPU fan only 4-pin, all chasis fans controlled together (3 or 4-pin fans), PWR FAN always 12V.

Max_s

Post by Max_s » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:30 am

faugusztin wrote:@Max_s: that was the case of the ASUS boards since... well i think forever, my S775 boards were the same - CPU fan only 4-pin, all chasis fans controlled together (3 or 4-pin fans), PWR FAN always 12V.
Fine, thank you.

For me it would be also important to know if there is a possibility to control two 3-pin case fans separately or not.

thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi

Sorry to bump a 6 year old thread, but I am using the 6 year old motherboard in the title and have a big problem.

I have a P8z77-V-Lx2 and I have a new case (275Q) that comes with a fan hub.

My motherboard has a pair of 4 pin slots, one for CPU and one for chassis fans.

My problem is I have my CPU PWM fan plugged into CPU and my fan hub (PWM) plugged into chassis. Whether it is plugged into this or not, they operate at a loud fixed speed.

When I select SILENT in bios fan speed profile, it doesn't make them quieter.

When I use MANUAL, it won't allow me to select less than 60% cycle speed as the lowest cycle speed.

I have seen posts on this thread of people using 20% cycle speed so...

It is the latest bios version.

STUMPED here and my "silent" Corsair 275Q is very loud :/

CPU fan is a Noctua S12A and the other fans are, for now, the Corsair PWM's that came with the case. Will swap to A12x25 PWM's at some point.

Edit I am wondering if the chassis ones are DC...3 pin ones disguised as 4pin.

According to manual they are PWM (using CHA 2)

But according to this thread... viewtopic.php?t=66283 they could be FAKE 4 pins!

Fan xPert 2 doesn't work on win10.

So I setup speedfan and configured it... the cpu will go up and down as per the controls but the chassis 2 fan drops by about 5 units per 10%...ie 100% 1300 rpm 90% 1295 rpm 80% 1290 rpm....

THANK YOU

thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:59 pm

So I fixed that...buy unplugged the hub.

So now I just have the noctua in the middle of the D14...using zip ties no less xD

Trying to figure out how I can use the other fans though. I could use a Y-cable on the CPU PWM but running 3 fans off it (will be 5) might be a bit dodgy?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:36 pm

You could run the 3 fans off the CPU_OPT header. This mirrors the CPU settings so any PWM fan, or chain of PWM fans connected to this header will run at the same PWM duty cycle settings as the CPU. I would have expected the 275Q hub to work OK if it had taken its PWM duty cycle signal from CPU_OPT. The 60% thing is associated with the motherboard running the fans as 3-pin voltage rather than PWM.

thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:29 am

There is no CPU_OPT header on this motherboard. Just the 4 shown in the image above.

So I either buy a PWM Y splitter and run the hub and the cpu fan off it, or I buy a PWM exstention cable and run the cpu fan off the hub and the hub off the CPU PWM socket.

Either way it sucks because I wanted to run 4 chassis fans and 1 cpu fan and the chassis permanent 20% inaudible and the CPU fan variably.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:02 am

Yes you are correct about there being no CPU_OPT header. Normally it is where the CHA_FAN2 header is, right next to the CPU header.

I think you were right in saying that your 2 chassis fan headers may be from the Asus 'fake PWM fan header' era that only ended when the Z97 chipset was introduced. That is that they are 4 pin, may even be labelled as PWM in the manual but in fact only work as 3 pin. The minimum 60% duty cycle is the obvious sign of this. It is equivalent to around 7v and the intention of Asus was I think that any 3 pin fan would always start at 7v. You're probably stuck with the CPU header as the only genuine PWM one on the board. So the easiest option is probably to take a PWM cable from the CPU header to your 275Q hub and run all the fans, both chassis and CPU from there.

thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 am

Well I ordered a splitter earlier so going to try that for now.

Very annoying, and won't be fixed until I upgrade. But I don't NEED to upgrade so probably won't be fixed.

It will cost me £700 to upgrade to current gen of some kind and the only thing that would make it better than this is being able to give plex 2 cores permenently.