Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor

Post by MikeC » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:17 am

Cyäegha

Re: Samsung S27B970 WQHD LED Monitor

Post by Cyäegha » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:26 pm

A small correction: in the article, you write about "DVI Dual Link (DVI-D)", like if the "D" in DVI-D meant "Dual Link"; but DVI-D only means that it's digital, not that it supports dual link. To sum up :
- DVI-A: analog connection, compatible with VGA;
- DVI-D: digital connection;
- DVB-I: supports both DVI-A and DVI-D modes;
- DVI-D, and DVI-I in digital mode, can either be limited to single-link or support dual-link. Dual link support is sometimes referred to as "DVI-DL".

Also, it's worth noting that at least some of the cards you tested should support DVI-I rather than DVI-D (admittedly, DVI-I kind of includes DVI-D, and it's quite irrelevant anyway...) - the Radeon HD 6850 and 6870, for instance, should support it on at least one of their DVI ports.

edh

Post by edh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Not my kind of moniotr really. It has an external power brick which I don't like. If they're going to go to the trouble of making the base integral, why not build the power brick into it so it also works to stabilise the monitor with it's weight? As the base is an integral part of the monitor it also excludes use on an kind of VESA mount.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:35 pm

Purty.

Also, it's time to put that old Asus dog down. 88W. :D My 46" TV only uses 5W more.

piglover

Post by piglover » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Its a beautiful monitor, indeed. Lots of nice "extra" features in that base. Comes with a good warranty.

However...there are WQHD alternatives that are really worth looking into. While you do take some risks, the Yamakasi Catleap monitors that are widely available on eBay are (a) really darn good and (b) available for $300-400, depending on supplier and features.

I can certain understand paying a brand premium. But 350% premium? For the same money you can buy three of the Catleaps, use two every day, have a spare in the box in case one of the "off brands" dies, and still have $100 left in your pocket.

The Samsung doesn't seem like a good deal at all.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 pm

piglover wrote:Its a beautiful monitor, indeed. Lots of nice "extra" features in that base. Comes with a good warranty.

However...there are WQHD alternatives that are really worth looking into. While you do take some risks, the Yamakasi Catleap monitors that are widely available on eBay are (a) really darn good and (b) available for $300-400, depending on supplier and features.

I can certain understand paying a brand premium. But 350% premium? For the same money you can buy three of the Catleaps, use two every day, have a spare in the box in case one of the "off brands" dies, and still have $100 left in your pocket.

The Samsung doesn't seem like a good deal at all.
Hmmm... interesting. Scott at the Tech Report did a writeup in the summer -- http://techreport.com/review/23291/thos ... e-for-real After reading his review and scanning the various forum discussions on the web, I beg to differ that you can equate one of those 27" WQHD no-name IPS bargains for this Samsung. 3 of those does not equal one of these, not if you're looking for consistency, reliability, actually usable controls for the screen, more than a single DVI input, etc. Maybe if you get lucky, and add a calibration device, one of those could be made the same or even better for good color work, but you still don't have intl. warranty support, and the price will run up close to the $700 range (after the calibrator and a good stand). Note -- I already have a calibrator & corrective software, and an articulated desk-clamp stand, so it could be fun for me to try one.

Now if you just want to game at high resolution, that's another thing altogether.

Edit -- and we haven't even touched the issue of electronic noise.

piglover

Post by piglover » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:19 pm

That is a fair opinion. But its not the only one. People choose to pay extra and buy suburbans in Cadillac trim too - but that doesn't make it a better truck...and if your goal is to haul stuff they are pretty much equal. Yeah, the leather seats are nice, but how did they help you with the main function of the vehicle?

The two Catleaps on my desk compare very, very favorably with the 27" HP WQHD monitor on my desk at work. Finish and heft of the plastic case is not the same - but the quality of the actual monitor is hard to discern. I actually prefer the 'glossy' screen of the Catleap to the matte/non-glare display of the HP. And I personally think "multi input" is highly over-rated. Once you set it on your desk your not likely to use a separate input ever...most people don't spend their days swapping PCs in-and-out of their test lab - they just use it every day as a tool to do their work.

As for calibration, what's the big deal. Users who care about their work calibrate EVERY monitor.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:24 pm

yikes! if i was going to plop down that much cash on a monitor, id just go whole hog and buy an apple.

(BTW, does anyone know a good source for display panels with no added frills? like with only one input and no stand...)

piglover

Post by piglover » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 pm

xan_user wrote:yikes! if i was going to plop down that much cash on a monitor, id just go whole hog and buy an apple.

(BTW, does anyone know a good source for display panels with no added frills? like with only one input and no stand...)
Do you literally just want the panel? Or something like a normal monitor with a single Dual-link DVI input?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:00 am

piglover wrote:
xan_user wrote:yikes! if i was going to plop down that much cash on a monitor, id just go whole hog and buy an apple.

Do you literally just want the panel? Or something like a normal monitor with a single Dual-link DVI input?
just a nice display panel with a simple matte bezel, one hdmi (or dvi) port and vesa mount holes. i have a nice stand already.

sorry to be OT, but Cadillac/L.L. Bean/Gucci trim packages, multiple inputs and a new stand are completely useless to me. (and i bet its not just me....)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 am

piglover wrote:That is a fair opinion. But its not the only one. People choose to pay extra and buy suburbans in Cadillac trim too - but that doesn't make it a better truck...and if your goal is to haul stuff they are pretty much equal. Yeah, the leather seats are nice, but how did they help you with the main function of the vehicle?

The two Catleaps on my desk compare very, very favorably with the 27" HP WQHD monitor on my desk at work. Finish and heft of the plastic case is not the same - but the quality of the actual monitor is hard to discern. I actually prefer the 'glossy' screen of the Catleap to the matte/non-glare display of the HP. And I personally think "multi input" is highly over-rated. Once you set it on your desk your not likely to use a separate input ever...most people don't spend their days swapping PCs in-and-out of their test lab - they just use it every day as a tool to do their work.

As for calibration, what's the big deal. Users who care about their work calibrate EVERY monitor.
No need to take umbrage of my opin, as you say it is just one. You didn't say you had already made the choice you're advocating.

I can't see many folks buying this Samsung unless they do take photo or image work seriously (or have deep pockets and a love of style), and but if they do, things like a good functioning array of on-screen controls is hardly "trim", nor is a fully adjustable stand. I would like to see a lower price, for sure. The thing has no bad/dead pixels btw. Should have mentioned in the review.

Multi-input is important to me, as I've had two main computers at my desktop for years, and switching between them at source input on the monitor eliminates the inevitable losses (and wiring hassles) through a KVM. Running 2 monitors with two PCs is even more of a hassle -- but I did this for a while.

Lastly, since you have these monitors, what can you tell us about the sturdiness/usability of the stand, controls on it, and any electronic noise when brightness is reduced (if it can be -- see Scott Wasson's article -- he said only brightness & speaker volume was adjustable on his, and it took time for him to figure out how to work them. )
piglover wrote:yikes! if i was going to plop down that much cash on a monitor, id just go whole hog and buy an apple.
I, for one, can't stand Apple's tilt only stand in a $1000 monitor... or that's company's general style-focused, take advantage of the fools, monopolistic attitudes. I never buy Apple if I can help it. (Not that other brands are so much better, but few have that kind of power. Learning recently that Apple demands pricing so that they can double their money on any partner goods they sell in their stores didn't endear me.)

I'm not convinced that their 27" is actually better than others anyway, like the best Dells.... and why is it that none of the serious monitor reviews eve test Apple monitors? I'm taking about PRAD.de, TFT Central, even flatpanelshd.com. No Apple monitor reviews on any of those sites. Why not?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:52 am

MikeC wrote: ..and why is it that none of the serious monitor reviews eve test Apple monitors? I'm taking about PRAD.de, TFT Central, even flatpanelshd.com. No Apple monitor reviews on any of those sites. Why not?
Because Apple never sends them a free review sample? That'd be my guess.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:02 pm

It is still in the Samsung catalog, although no one other than an imaging pro would be interested, given its modest 20" size and 1680 x 1200 resolution, austere style, and dearth of connectivity.
1600 x 1200
On paper, DisplayPort to DisplayPort should allow WQHD screen resolution without fail. In reality it depends on which version of DP is implemented in the video card, and whether the latest spec cable is used.
That's not right. DP version and cable don't matter.
Standard DVI provides a maximum resolution of 1915 × 1436.
Single link DVI supports up to 1920 x 1200 (24 bit, 60 Hz), dual link DVI is required for more.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:06 pm

piglover wrote: However...there are WQHD alternatives that are really worth looking into. While you do take some risks, the Yamakasi Catleap monitors that are widely available on eBay are (a) really darn good and (b) available for $300-400, depending on supplier and features.
Cheaper (than Apple and Samsung) non-Korean monitors are available in USA as well.
Also, don't forget Dell U2713 and HP ZR2740w.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:51 am

Another monitor heavily influenced by the television market. I wish they'de make some solid monitors in this size in 16:10 again. It's a nice monitor but not sure why anyone would go for this instead of a 30" @ 2560x1600.