bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W Power Supply

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W Power Supply

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:49 am

tszyn wrote:The quietest PSU I have owned is the Corsair HX520W (bought it after reading the SPCR review). Very quiet fan and ZERO electrical noise.
OT, but I was very pleased with my HX520W too. It was the third PSU in the same build, as the previous Seasonic S12IIs had both buzzed audibly. I have since used Nexus almost exclusively when building (couple Values, several NX5000, now one RX5300), and none of them have buzzed, despite being Bronze certified and almost budget-priced.

The Whining Components thread could use these experiences, I'm sure. :wink:

Pbryanw

Post by Pbryanw » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:59 am

uhhhhahhhhohahhh wrote:Do you have any control over those fans or is their RPM linked to the internal PSU temperature?
No, unfortunately, the RPM seems regulated by the PSU temperature with no control over them, but the controllers seem to do a good job (the SPCR review has a good section on this). Before I was using 12 to 7V fan adaptors with the fans powered by molex connectors. Thinking about it, having the fans temperature controlled could also be a reason for my PC's decreased noise. The only problem I have now is that I notice the noise from my Samsung F4 HD, which I couldn't before.

tszyn

Post by tszyn » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:00 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:RFI interference and/or bad power factor noise getting back into the mains? The PSU for the Dell monitor may be causing a reaction in the computer PSU via one of those, quite possibly.
Thanks. From a quick look at Wikipedia, I understand that the Dell PSU might be distorting the sine wave shape of the voltage. Would a fancy surge protector with an EMI/RFI filter be of any help here or would it be a waste of money?

Tomasz

tszyn

Post by tszyn » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:33 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:I have since used Nexus almost exclusively when building (couple Values, several NX5000, now one RX5300), and none of them have buzzed, despite being Bronze certified and almost budget-priced.
I think you should replace "despite" with "due to" in your sentence :)
It looks like I'm not the only one who thinks high-efficiency PSUs are more noisy. Here's a quote from the Corsair "Product Guru":
Higher efficiency PSUs are more prone to buzz or hum due to their increased sensitivity to the input voltage from your wall outlet.
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.ph ... ostcount=5

And another quote in support of the above:
That could be right, that's what the Seasonic engineer in Taiwan told me, with high efficiency power supplies there is a mechanism that regulates the power quite strictly which causes buzzing noise. Cheaper less efficient power supplies are more lenient in power regulation so there is less buzzing noise.
I found both quotes in a very interesting thread at Australia's Whirlpool forum:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1731077

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:19 pm

tszyn wrote:I think you should replace "despite" with "due to" in your sentence :)
I think it was a comment on your speculation(s). I don't personally think high efficiency has resulted in increased noise, as I've heard many buzzing power sources and electronics before 80 Plus certification even made its first appearance. It is just, as Mike said, more obvious now.

The Corsair support person's statement is just common sense: sensitive electronics are sensitive. It's a matter of building them well enough, if we define well enough as being able to compensate for increased sensitivity while fulfilling high standards of efficiency. Nexus has done that consistently, in my limited experience, whereas Seasonics still pop up from time to time as buzzers, despite premium pricing.

As I have always had the good fortune of using grounded sockets and the same UPS, I can safely say those aspects of my "experiments" have been controlled, so it has been down to the PSUs to buzz or not to buzz.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:21 am

If you have other PSUs that do emit interferences, then the PC PSU is not to blame. There must not be any to begin with, regardless if you use a Monitor or a water boiler.

Often those interferences are amplified by old/non-standard or damaged cabling.

tszyn

Post by tszyn » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:29 am

Pappnaas wrote:If you have other PSUs that do emit interferences, then the PC PSU is not to blame. There must not be any to begin with, regardless if you use a Monitor or a water boiler.

Often those interferences are amplified by old/non-standard or damaged cabling.
Let me just note I never had a buzzing problem with two other PSUs in the same environment.