Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520W PSU

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
edh

Re: Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520W PSU

Post by edh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:28 am

dhanson865 wrote:I'm going to guess it's for enabling onboard audio even if a discrete audio card is present. Presumably "disabled" would be to disable onboard audio if a discrete card is present during POST and "enabled" would allow you to have two sound devices active at the same time.
As this is a PSU related issue I would think it's more likely to be something to do with the +5VSB line which has already been mentioned. This option of 'audio always on' would I guess make the sound run off the +5VSB line. Why you would want the sound on when your computer is not on I don't know. When you disable this it will use the +5V line be used instead. Similarly the S4 and S5 state changes would do a similar thing. I personally disable anything that uses +5VSB now just to save 1W when the system is switched off.

Rubicant

Post by Rubicant » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:40 am

CA_Steve wrote:3rd time's the charm.

"As mentioned in the review, Seasonic reports that adjustments in the BIOS of some recent motherboards eliminates electronic noise completely with many earlier production samples. The settings are:

BIOS set up to ENABLE ErP/EuP (S4~S5)
BIOS set up to DISABLE Audio Always On"

I'd love to see some feedback from users that have these BIOS options in their mobo to see how well it works.
Shame that more isnt done to tame the whines while pc is actually on! The fact that people have to speculate what "DISABLE Audio Always On" means, is also kind of annoying. I dislike it when a company is vague or fail to mention what a firmware update (gigabyte!) resolves. I use onboard audio, so switching it off isnt a solution.

Lookn forward to more transparency regarding these solutions!

edh

Post by edh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 am

Rubicant wrote:I use onboard audio, so switching it off isnt a solution.
I'm pretty sure that's not what the BIOS option they are talking about does. You can still use your onboard audio if you disable this option but it will run off +5V rather than +5VSB so won't give you sound when the system is off AFAIK.

Seitori

Post by Seitori » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:54 am

Yesterday I got my new Seasonic P-520. And I have to say there are no noises at all. Being an owner of 3 seasonics (x-1050, ss-650HT and p-520) I had no problems with them. Only once I noticed squeak when I was overclocking and my system got BSOD, and it was only for several seconds while computer was rebooting. So I think that is a problem of MB's.

SilentISaid

Post by SilentISaid » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:45 am

I'm the 1% that is never happy with any product.

I bought a Super Flower Power 500W fanless and I'm HAPPY with it.

Not a whim, not a buzz, nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone is interested

http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products ... 79&lang=en

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:15 am

I bought the 460W Seasonic Platinum Fanless to replace my dead Antec Phantom 500 (7+ years usage). I'd have preferred the 400W but no one had it in stock and I needed a replacement ASAP. I also bought an Antec Solo II at the same time to replace my P180.

I haven't spent a lot of time with the Seasonic, but I've noticed a constant and high frequency (interval-wise as opposed to pitch) clicking/ticking sound. I noticed a faint high frequency whine too, but this was inaudible from a few inches away from the case. If this was inside my P180 I don't think the clicking would have been a problem, but with the Solo II it's right at the top of the case directly under an open grille and my case is under the desk.

I'd like to add that I was 100% happy with the Phantom. It didn't have any kind of whine and and a very, very faint buzz only detectable with my head right next to the PSU. I'd have continued using it for as long as I could if it hadn't died.

hikeskool

Post by hikeskool » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:48 am

Any updates on this, is anyone experiencing any kind of problems or have they all been resolved either with newer units sold by Seasonic or obtained via RMA? Any luck with BIOS settings?

Also, while the unit in the review is the "SS-520FL2" I have noticed an "SS-520FL" being sold as well. I assume the "SS-520FL2" is an improved revision. However, this review was done of the "SS-520FL2" model, which the reviewer did experience problems with, although later resolved. Can anyone comment on this? I would hate to be sold an older, unimproved unit that has just been sitting in a warehouse for a couple of years.

joh

Post by joh » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:47 am

hikeskool wrote:Any updates on this, is anyone experiencing any kind of problems or have they all been resolved either with newer units sold by Seasonic or obtained via RMA? Any luck with BIOS settings?
FWIW I recently bought a Platinum 660W and it also exhibits an annoying buzzing sound. Will return it via RMA today.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:57 am

joh wrote:
hikeskool wrote:FWIW I recently bought a Platinum 660W and it also exhibits an annoying buzzing sound. Will return it via RMA today.
IS his while powered up in your system? What components? How about if tricked on w/o a load?

joh

Post by joh » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:51 am

MikeC wrote:
joh wrote:FWIW I recently bought a Platinum 660W and it also exhibits an annoying buzzing sound. Will return it via RMA today.
IS his while powered up in your system? What components? How about if tricked on w/o a load?
It makes an annoying buzzing sound both when powered up in my system and when tricked on without any load.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:32 pm

joh wrote:
MikeC wrote:
joh wrote:FWIW I recently bought a Platinum 660W and it also exhibits an annoying buzzing sound. Will return it via RMA today.
It makes an annoying buzzing sound both when powered up in my system and when tricked on without any load.
RMA it.

joh

Post by joh » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Forgot to post an update on the RMA, but better late than never eyh?

Got a replacement PSU which did not exhibit any annoying sounds. It's very quiet and only audible when I listen very close (~20cm) to the unit.

whitefire990

Post by whitefire990 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:49 am

I just bought a Seasonic Platinum 400 power supply. I installed it in my PC which otherwise has no moving parts. The power supply is not silent at all, and clearly some of the electrical components are vibrating. Unlike other people here, I can hear mine from all the way across a room (25 feet away), even while watching TV. The sound is not constant. There is a baseline buzz, followed every few seconds by a much louder higher pitched clicking/scratching type of sound, almost similar to a spinning hard drive. When my PC boots it always stalls and says 'CPU Fan Error! Press F1 to resume.' This is because I have no fan. At that moment (low load?) the supply makes almost no noise (I have to put my head right next to it to hear anything). But as soon as Windows starts up and higher loads are drawn, it makes a lot of noise. I am tempted to return it but I'm a busy person and it already took me months just to find time to buy it and install it. Anyhow be warned. To be fair it is still a lot quieter than my old supply that had a fan.

On the other hand my Zalman FX-100 fanless CPU heat sink is a marvel of a product and one of the best purchases I ever made.

Eric

hikeskool

Post by hikeskool » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:20 am

whitefire990 wrote:I just bought a Seasonic Platinum 400 power supply. I installed it in my PC which otherwise has no moving parts. The power supply is not silent at all, and clearly some of the electrical components are vibrating. Unlike other people here, I can hear mine from all the way across a room (25 feet away), even while watching TV. The sound is not constant. There is a baseline buzz, followed every few seconds by a much louder higher pitched clicking/scratching type of sound, almost similar to a spinning hard drive. When my PC boots it always stalls and says 'CPU Fan Error! Press F1 to resume.' This is because I have no fan. At that moment (low load?) the supply makes almost no noise (I have to put my head right next to it to hear anything). But as soon as Windows starts up and higher loads are drawn, it makes a lot of noise. I am tempted to return it but I'm a busy person and it already took me months just to find time to buy it and install it. Anyhow be warned. To be fair it is still a lot quieter than my old supply that had a fan.

On the other hand my Zalman FX-100 fanless CPU heat sink is a marvel of a product and one of the best purchases I ever made.

Eric
Return it. Nothing quite sucks like disassembling a PC and waiting on an RMA but you'll never be happy if you don't.

I have been VERY happy with my Kingwin Lazer Platinum:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Kingwin_L ... um_LZP-550

I know they are tough to find but it's been great to use. I haven't noticed the fan kick on yet, even during gaming. I don't have the most powerful rig (Z97 board, stock-clocked Haswell refresh i5, Geforce 770, a few other goodies). No coil whine, and while my system isn't DEAD quiet, I can't hear the fan when I manually switch it on from two feet or so. It's a great unit. Maybe a bit pricey for 550 watts, but it's Platinum rated and I bought it to be quiet, not run an a ton of wattage.

I know there are other PSUs that employ this kind of "passive" fan technology (fan only kicks on when needed) but I can't authoritatively recommend one of them.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Mackan

Post by Mackan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:55 am

I have tried two samples of this PSU, and they both had coil whine. Tested with a separate PSU tester, as well in a computer. Tried various recommended BIOS settings. To no help. I own several other PSUs, such as SilverStone and Corsair, and they experience no coil whine. Corsair even has warranty against coil whine.

My conclusion: stay away from this PSU. It's a gamble. With 100% loss in my case. And if Seasonic says they have fixed coil whine, they lie. It's 2016 now. I don't know if I dare try their upcoming fanless Prime model, but in the end, it's the reseller that has to take the cost when I return the units, because I guess Seasonic sees no fault in them. I don't like that. Would be nice if Corsair decided to produce a fanless unit instead.