BitFenix Phenom Mini-ITX Case

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

BitFenix Phenom Mini-ITX Case

Post by Lawrence Lee » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Xyvotha

Re: BitFenix Phenom Mini-ITX Case

Post by Xyvotha » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:39 pm

Looks like a very moddable case :)

NoizEnvader

Post by NoizEnvader » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Minor grammatical error on last page under "FINAL THOUGHTS" - "We highly recommend filling up the the more..." :wink:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:42 pm

NoizEnvader wrote:Minor grammatical error on last page under "FINAL THOUGHTS" - "We highly recommend filling up the the more..." :wink:
Corrected.

And yeah, it is very moddable. We didn't have time to try a bunch of things, but just adding a few more holes under the black mesh sides and/or cutting out the slot on the bottom of the bezel, using thin rubber padding in places around the drive cages, etc... The price is attractive.

Also, a smaller SFX drive (with adapter plate) could be a good option as well -- a NAS or server box doesn't need a full ATX PSU.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:55 pm

nice looking case.
guess my only complaint would be is if you use a pico you dont gain any room for bigger heat sinks or better airflow.

mkk

Post by mkk » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Always interesting to read a thorough case review.

BitFenix often have something interesting going with their designs, yet rarely get all the way to the finish line. Still this could work well with many lower power and not too storage packed builds, and the exterior is nice. I'd like to see the reaction from someone who fits a 230mm fan to the front of it. ;)

cordis

Post by cordis » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Great review, I have the BitFenix Prodigy, it seemed fair. The Phenom seems to be the same case as the Prodigy without the handles. Interesting. Anyway, I did put a 230mm fan in the front, it seems to be working ok, the hard drives don't get too hot. I have 4 3.5" drives in the box, a dvd drive, an i7 4770k with a prolimatech megahelms on it, but I did go with shorter power supply, the silverstone, I think it's a strider? Something like that, anyway, it's shorter than most so it fits well, and I got a short psu cable set to go with it. That keeps the cabling more manageable. I replaced the fans that came with the case with quiet ones, that helped keep the whole thing quiet, and I don't have a gpu card in the box. It's stayed very quiet and cool enough. All in all, the case is working for me.

jebbyc

Post by jebbyc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:03 pm

If you want to put a GPU in it, get the mATX version.

I have a modestly overclocked 780Ti and 4670k. With the inverted motherboard, the GPU sucks air in through the top and out the back. I have a 140mm AIO cooler on the CPU, with the rad mounted at the rear.