HDD Silencing: Sandwiches & Suspensions - 2002 reprise

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

HDD Silencing: Sandwiches & Suspensions - 2002 reprise

Post by MikeC » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:31 am

Last edited by MikeC on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Does anyone around here still use the DIY sandwiching method used in this article? It seems to be a very complicated way of doing things, and you'd want to suspend it as well, which can only add to the complexity.

lacroix1547

Re: HDD Silencing: Sandwiches & Suspensions - 2002 reprise

Post by lacroix1547 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:17 am

Didnt not found that round elastic in any hardware store.
However clothing elastic bands and are pretty much the same.
They can be found along most sewing stuff.
Your grand mother maybe the key to your hard drive vibration transmission problems.
I had rubberized supporting screw but even that was transmitting vibrations.
I am not sure I trust sandwiches when it comes to heat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eary

Re: HDD Silencing: Sandwiches & Suspensions - 2002 reprise

Post by eary » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:14 am

In a desktop case, I've suspended laptop hard drives between pairs of rubber bands in a way similar to the article's method of suspending full size hard drives with elastic bands. I cut the inner sides off a plastic 3 1/2 HD mount and put some tall bolts through the bottom of the mount to act as posts to hold the rubber bands. This works fairly well, but the problem is that the thick cables of my power supply have a considerable mass relative to the small laptop drives. It takes some fiddling to connect the cables and keep the drive suspended where I want it because the cables pull on it. Occasionally the laptop drives cause the case to hum. I think this is because the cables transmit vibrations from the drives.

Has anyone tried suspending laptop drives with the elastic bands? Any ideas for a design that would isolate vibrations from the cables and make them easy to connect and disconnect?

By the way, one source of elastic bands that resemble (in appearance) those in the article is elastic shoe laces. This probably isn't the cheapest source, but they are easy to find online. One brand is QuickLaces. I use them on my shoes but I haven't gotten around to trying them on hard drives.