It is currently Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Samsung M9T 2TB (2.5-inch) & Seagate SSHD 2TB
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:36 pm 
Offline
SPCR Reviewer

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:07 pm
Posts: 1059
Location: Vancouver
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Samsung_M9T_Seagate_SSHD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung M9T 2TB (2.5-inch) & Seagate SSHD 2TB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:18 am
Posts: 545
Location: London, UK
A 3.5" SSHD is a bit of a weird use case. I have the feeling that if a 3.5" drive fits, you can very likely fit a pure SSD for the OS and programs as well.

As for the Samsung drive, I was hoping that a small drive will finally beat the WD20EARS. Shame ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung M9T 2TB (2.5-inch) & Seagate SSHD 2TB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 2142
Location: Guatemala
Thanks for the review lawrance, i personally really like my 2x M9T, for me they are unoticeble on my PS4 and my enclosure.

_________________
GameMiv2 >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 | Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | 2x ASUS GTX970 STRIX | ACER B326HK 32'' 4K IPS | Samsung 840pro 512GB | WD RED 3TB | Silverstone FT05 + 2x Silverstone AP182 | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung M9T 2TB (2.5-inch) & Seagate SSHD 2TB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:58 pm 
Online
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Posts: 2018
Location: Northern California.
thanks for the review!
I love my (older) SSHD's.
I think hybrid drives have a decent niche to fill consumer computers/electronics. -FTR, my main PC is SSD, with a HDD. my HTPC and family PC have hybrid drives.

_________________
Help SPCR keep the lights on, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung M9T 2TB (2.5-inch) & Seagate SSHD 2TB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:47 am
Posts: 441
Location: Bratislava, Slovak Republic
I personally found the M9T 2TB very loud when it was not in standby mode, but then it was the only item producing noise in the whole house (300RPM Noctuas make no noise, 980 Strix makes no noise in idle either...).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung M9T 2TB (2.5-inch) & Seagate SSHD 2TB
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:01 am 
Online
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Posts: 2018
Location: Northern California.
faugusztin wrote:
I personally found the M9T 2TB very loud when it was not in standby mode, but then it was the only item producing noise in the whole house (300RPM Noctuas make no noise, 980 Strix makes no noise in idle either...).

shocking that a 7200 rpm drive would be louder than 2 components that basically make no noise.... :shock: [sarcasm]

_________________
Help SPCR keep the lights on, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung M9T 2TB (2.5-inch) & Seagate SSHD 2TB
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:33 am
Posts: 8
I wonder how many times would those 8GB be written per day/session... Is there any utility that can show write cycles/wearing level for the internal SSD? I suppose after those 3k/5k/whatever the cells would no longer be able to be written, and the sshd would became... hdd.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung M9T 2TB (2.5-inch) & Seagate SSHD 2TB
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:47 am
Posts: 441
Location: Bratislava, Slovak Republic
xan_user wrote:
faugusztin wrote:
I personally found the M9T 2TB very loud when it was not in standby mode, but then it was the only item producing noise in the whole house (300RPM Noctuas make no noise, 980 Strix makes no noise in idle either...).

shocking that a 7200 rpm drive would be louder than 2 components that basically make no noise.... :shock: [sarcasm]


5400RPM you mean, right ? M9T is 5400RPM 2.5" drive. Unfortunately i found it to be noisier than 3.5" WD Reds as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung M9T 2TB (2.5-inch) & Seagate SSHD 2TB
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:26 am 
Online
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Posts: 2018
Location: Northern California.
faugusztin wrote:
xan_user wrote:
faugusztin wrote:
I personally found the M9T 2TB very loud when it was not in standby mode, but then it was the only item producing noise in the whole house (300RPM Noctuas make no noise, 980 Strix makes no noise in idle either...).

shocking that a 7200 rpm drive would be louder than 2 components that basically make no noise.... :shock: [sarcasm]


5400RPM you mean, right ? M9T is 5400RPM 2.5" drive. Unfortunately i found it to be noisier than 3.5" WD Reds as well.

right, i had my drives mixed... :|

2.5 drives can be so thinned skinned and have such little mass in the housing, that i think some models can turn out louder than 3.5's.

_________________
Help SPCR keep the lights on, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung M9T 2TB (2.5-inch) & Seagate SSHD 2TB
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 3:58 am
Posts: 760
Location: Formosa
I've been using Seagate Laptop SSHD 500GB for two months. It took SSHD at least a week to learn what programs I'd frequently used.
After a painfully slow week, the SSHD finally managed to flex its muscles. Boot time / Firefox / Outlook etc showed pretty decent loading time boost.
For example, Firefox loading time was reduced from 12~20 secs to 6~10 secs. I bought it to upgrade my aging 4 years laptop, and it's a worthwhile investment based on my experience.

Btw, my desktop Intel 330 120GB SSD can launch Firefox within 3 secs. Well ..... you got the point.


* I've upgraded from WD 320GB Blue, 5400RPM to Seagate Laptop SSHD 500GB.
* I've used Trueimage to clone XP system between 2 HDDs.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group