ASUS Maximus VI Impact: Enthusiast Mini-ITX Motherboard

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

ASUS Maximus VI Impact: Enthusiast Mini-ITX Motherboard

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:50 pm

CA_Steve

Re: ASUS Maximus VI Impact: Enthusiast Mini-ITX Motherboard

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Can you undervolt the CPU? Does it use the Adaptive method?

axee

Post by axee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Doesn't Fan Xpert analyze fans and set lower speed limit according to starting voltage (like with Z77 boards, for example)?

Topas

Post by Topas » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:10 pm

axee wrote:Doesn't Fan Xpert analyze fans and set lower speed limit according to starting voltage (like with Z77 boards, for example)?
It does. And if you don't run the analysis at all, the minimum fan speed is set at 10% by default.

Anyway, I don't really get the fan speed restrictions in UEFI. I am allowed to set the CPU frequency to 20000 MHz, change DRAM timing to utterly rubbish values and do gazillion other things that will render the computer totally dead, but I am not allowed to set the PWR controlled fan speed to 35%?

WTF?

20% is totally fine with most fans. And if I have good enough cooling, I could want 0% to say 45 Celsius.

Mankey

Post by Mankey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:34 pm

Lawrence - could you please check out my post - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66873

I'm very curious as to if you encountered the same sort of behavior I did when testing the Asus board.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:54 am

The high minimum RPM in all these ASus mobos is bizarre. In the z77 at least the CPU fan has a min of 20%, I had to connect case fans to the CPU header:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=66864

Their new Z87I-Deluxe Mini ITX has 3 PWM sys_fan headers that are useless at 60% min, they barely modulate, and their AI Suite "fan control" is just bling.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:51 pm

I wish Asus would allow (in all their recent boards, not just this one) lower fan speeds, and it should be allowable in the UEFI BIOS. I don't like add-on programs for fan speed.

I'm surprised they didn't go with all-solid capacitors for this board.

The Luggage

Post by The Luggage » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:31 am

Will a Scyte Big Shuriken rev B CPU heatsink fit on this Asus board?

I assumed it would, because the review says "Most Intel-based mini-ITX boards released in the past few years use a layout with the CPU socket very close to the PCI-E expansion slot, creating interference with larger CPU coolers. Today, there are quite a few models going against this trend, the Maximus VI included. Given the enthusiast nature of the Maximus series it's a no-brainer."

And Asus seems to suggest the Scythe as a heatsink : http://www.overclockers.com/wp-content/ ... act-50.png

But I've read claims that the heatsink does not fit because "The voltage daughtercard is too tall and interferes" : http://www.overclock.net/t/1417013/low- ... t_20947930

I'm thinking about building a "steam box" in one of the new Silverstone RVZ01 or ML07 cases and am looking for an mini ITX board and the best CPU cooler that will still fit in the case.

Thanks

Osamede

Post by Osamede » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:47 am

I have the Big Shuriken 2 Rev B on an Asus Mini-ITX P8Z77-I Deluxe with a similar layout and daughterboard. It does interfere but really minimally. Basically I turned it such that the underside fins on the heat sink barely touch the daughterboard in one corner. It is basically like a mililmeter above or something.

But yes it's a tight fit. If I had to do it again would not chose this combination - just I didnt realise it when I bought the components. These things with the daughterboards are not at all suited to the low profile heat sinks.