SPCR
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/

Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=68099
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Lawrence Lee [ Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Arctic_Ac ... rid_II-120

Author:  CA_Steve [ Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

Nice review. Too bad the cooler isn't more compatible with the variety of gfx cards.

Quote:
The pump is not controllable but even at full speed, it's one of the least offensive sounding models I've encountered, and the included fan has silky smooth acoustics.

Some more modding fun to consider. It's just a molex connector for the pump. Why not use a fanmate II or modding the pinout to see how low it can go/provide enough gpm for cooling?

Author:  xan_user [ Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

thanks for the nice review!

Author:  CA_Steve [ Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

CA_Steve wrote:
Nice review. Too bad the cooler isn't more compatible with the variety of gfx cards.


On second thought - this may not be a big deal if the user is planning ahead rather than doing a retrofit. Buy the cheapest reference design board (with a warranty that covers modding) and have at it.

Author:  nizer [ Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

Thank you very much Lawrence Lee for this great review - just what I have been hoping and waiting for here at SPCR. Now both the NZXT G10 and the Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 is tested.

I am pleassantly surprised by the performance of Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 :)

Author:  fufufu [ Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

I wonder why they chose to put the PCB in between the components and the heatsink. Especially with the abundance of Elpida vram chips (which as I understand are not as OCable as the Samsung and Hynix chips but also don't do as well as the other 2 at high temperatures) it seems counter intuitive to put it there. I'm not convinced the decrease in temperatures on the vram is not simply due to the lower core temperature.

Author:  CA_Steve [ Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

A significant portion of the heat in an IC package is conducted away from the IC through it's bond pads to the connected pins to the board/copper traces/power and ground planes. Increase the copper on the board (like Gigabyte did a while back) and lower the IC temps. Add thermal pads and a big honking heatsink on the backside and lower temps.

Author:  nagi [ Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

I have their air-only cooler on my R9 290X, and it also leaves the VRMs without any additional cooling. There is however a way to deal with this: take the original heatsink and a metal saw. That lowered my VRM temps to ~70 on load. I'm not sure about the "they can take a lot more" comment, do you have the specs for the ICs?

Author:  fufufu [ Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

CA_Steve wrote:
A significant portion of the heat in an IC package is conducted away from the IC through it's bond pads to the connected pins to the board/copper traces/power and ground planes. Increase the copper on the board (like Gigabyte did a while back) and lower the IC temps. Add thermal pads and a big honking heatsink on the backside and lower temps.


I see. Wouldn't having a much larger area of contact on the chip's surface be better than getting it from the pins? ie. I've seen a few thermal images of GPUs and the whole chip is highlighted in red no just the pins.

nagi wrote:
I have their air-only cooler on my R9 290X, and it also leaves the VRMs without any additional cooling. There is however a way to deal with this: take the original heatsink and a metal saw. That lowered my VRM temps to ~70 on load. I'm not sure about the "they can take a lot more" comment, do you have the specs for the ICs?


The cooler directs air downwards towards the chips though albeit a bit warm from the heatsink. With this setup there's no air being blown on them at all.

Author:  nagi [ Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

fufufu wrote:
nagi wrote:
I have their air-only cooler on my R9 290X, and it also leaves the VRMs without any additional cooling. There is however a way to deal with this: take the original heatsink and a metal saw. That lowered my VRM temps to ~70 on load. I'm not sure about the "they can take a lot more" comment, do you have the specs for the ICs?


The cooler directs air downwards towards the chips though albeit a bit warm from the heatsink. With this setup there's no air being blown on them at all.

Would that one fan over the GPU direct any sort of air towards the VRMs? And wouldn't those benefit more if they actually had a proper heatsink on them? Even if there is no air blown directly onto them, attaching a large heatsink would improve their cooling at least a bit.

Author:  CA_Steve [ Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

fufufu wrote:
I see. Wouldn't having a much larger area of contact on the chip's surface be better than getting it from the pins? ie. I've seen a few thermal images of GPUs and the whole chip is highlighted in red no just the pins.

But it's not the chip's surface...it's the plastic package that encapsulates the chip. Odds are the metal infrastructure of the bonding pad/bonding pins/package pins/motherboard pad is a better thermal conductor than the plastic of the package. Depends on many factors, like size of the IC, number of pins, type of package, etc. In the case of the VRMs, they might even have a metal slug underneath that connects to a mobo pad that goes to the ground plane to facilitate heat transfer. Think of the old style 3 pin voltage regulators. Bend that baby over and bolt it down to the ground plane.

Author:  fufufu [ Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

CA_Steve wrote:
fufufu wrote:
I see. Wouldn't having a much larger area of contact on the chip's surface be better than getting it from the pins? ie. I've seen a few thermal images of GPUs and the whole chip is highlighted in red no just the pins.

But it's not the chip's surface...it's the plastic package that encapsulates the chip. Odds are the metal infrastructure of the bonding pad/bonding pins/package pins/motherboard pad is a better thermal conductor than the plastic of the package. Depends on many factors, like size of the IC, number of pins, type of package, etc. In the case of the VRMs, they might even have a metal slug underneath that connects to a mobo pad that goes to the ground plane to facilitate heat transfer. Think of the old style 3 pin voltage regulators. Bend that baby over and bolt it down to the ground plane.


I guess that makes sense.

I'm really tempted to get this to silence my reference r9 290 but I wonder what the compatibility would be like for future cards? For example if I get a G10 bracket and a AIO that fits I can still use it for cpus or a new bracket in the future whereas this seems like a kit for one use only.

Author:  bertramfx [ Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 Liquid GPU Cooler

Incredible cooler! I achieve nice temperatures with a barely audible configuration:

Cooler: Accelero Hybrid II with Pump on 7V (veeeeeeeery close to inaudible)
Fan: Noctua NF-S12A

30min Furmark: 62 °C, Fan at 570 RPM

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/