Antec P160 Aluminum case Review

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:08 pm

engseng wrote:Now if only we can get Mike Chin to review Lian Li PC6077...
Yeh I'd be interested in a PC6077 review too. The "drive cage" design is really good for watercooling - unlike my BQE which has this stupid riveted drive cage in the way.

And no, I do'nt have a drill.

fool

Post by fool » Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:56 am

Yeah, I know there are lian li’s with firewire ports, and that in any event it wouldn’t be too difficult to add one, and that Beantech make a case that’s almost as understated and elegant as the PC60 that’s already got firewire, and that it really wouldn’t be that big a deal to hack out bigger ventilation holes wheresoever I saw fit,….

But, well, the thing is that the first time I saw a PC60 the two words that came to mind were “finally” and “Zippo” :D . Here, I thought, was a case with everything that’s needed and nothing that isn’t. And the PC61? “SME Model 10”. 8)

But then I saw the imperfections I mentioned before, and, for me, it went from being the apogee of the case builders art and therefore worth every one of the (especially at the time) very many pennies it cost to being an expensive case that, whilst undoubtedly handsome, was no less flawed, albeit in different ways, than a number of other, far cheaper, cases.

So I got a black compucase and enough change to pay for a bunch of stuff to make it shut up.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:41 pm

engseng wrote:I prefer to have the ports at the bottom of the case, so that the wires don't dangle in front of the case (or more specifically the CD-RW drive).
Personally I prefer them on top, so they're more easily accessible when the PC is on the floor. For things that are plugged in most of the time, I use the ports on the back of the case.
engseng wrote:Now if only we can get Mike Chin to review Lian Li PC6077...
Or Ralf. Wonder if SPCR has one already...
engseng wrote:I'm Malaysia's only Silent PC enthuasist.
I read a while back that Kuala Lumpur had installed water jets on the top of tall buildings, that can be used during emergencies and heat waves. Is that true? Has it ever been used to cool the city down? Always thought the idea of water cooling a city to be pretty, erm, cool :-)

Corpsious

Post by Corpsious » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:01 am

I want to purchase the P160, but I am afraid of the ports. I shall demonstrate (image rotated anticlockwise 90 degrees)

^
|
o>-<

ooo

I am running away from three vertical ports. I can't remember exactly what the port configuration is on my pc*, but I have a sinking suspicion that my ports (i.e. the ones on the motherboard) are 3 in a row horizontally and the ports (' holes) on the P160 are in a vertical row.

Can the board of holes be replaced? Am I merely being paranoid - are my ports really vertical too? If not, I am worried that I will not be able to use the audio in port (as the other two are duplicated on the front) and I want to be able to record stuff from a... thingy.

*I'm on holiday in America and this will be my last chance to get the case, before I fly back to my leedle hole in the South.

*Gulp*

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:18 am

Corpsious --

If you're talking about the back panel ports to access the motherboard, you should know that every motherboard I've seen in the last couple years came with its own faceplate for those ports. They pop in/out of a rectangular hole on the back of the case. Just about any case these days. Totally interchangeable.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:34 am

Corpsious wrote:I want to purchase the P160, but I am afraid of the ports. I shall demonstrate (image rotated anticlockwise 90 degrees)

^
|
o>-<

ooo

I am running away from three vertical ports. I can't remember exactly what the port configuration is on my pc*, but I have a sinking suspicion that my ports (i.e. the ones on the motherboard) are 3 in a row horizontally and the ports (' holes) on the P160 are in a vertical row.
You're talking about the I/O shield, right? Is it this?:

If that's it, MikeC's exactly right. Every motherboard made comes with it's onw I/O shield that snaps into place in the case. The case comes with it's own I/O shield which is in the "standard" ATX pattern. The motherboard manufacturers sometimes deviate from this standard though so they include their own proprietary shield in the box with the board. If you don't have one, you can usually get one from the manufacturer or from a third-party supplier. Do you remember if there's an I/O shield floating around in your mobo box? Maybe it's already installed in your current case, if that's where your board is residing now.

Corpsious

Post by Corpsious » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:58 am

Okay! Thanks, sorry about that, my hardware knowledge isn't up to scratch it seems ;D I shall indeed get it then. But then I must also figure out how to wire up the USB and IEEE1394 ports... I suppose I could fish out my 'mobo' manual. Could anyone suggest a beginner's guide, perhaps?

;D

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:17 pm

Corpsious wrote:But then I must also figure out how to wire up the USB and IEEE1394 ports... I suppose I could fish out my 'mobo' manual. Could anyone suggest a beginner's guide, perhaps?
You'd need to dig out your MB manual to figure out where the MB headers are, as well as which pin is what. Most motherboards label the header, but not the individual pins.

All USB headers on the MB I've come across are wired the same way (though I can't tell you what it is from memory) but there's always the possibility of deviations. You get a block of 2x5 pins on the motherboard that you need to plug the connector into. My Sonata came with individual connectors for each pin, which gives the maximum amount of flexibility, as well as maximum amount of PITA. Might be the same with the P160.

Don't know if there are standard motherboard headers for USB. Don't have a MB with on-board firewire yet. But again the manual will tell you.

Corpsious

Post by Corpsious » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:55 pm

Thanks for all the help :D

*Thinks*

Hmmmkay cool.

I've just realised that I can't get the p160 ;( I blew all my spending money on an mp3 player... So I'm left with $140. I'm thinking I get an Antec PlusView1000AMG (yep, I'm gonna sit thru a 16 hr flight with it on my lap, 'cause I don't trust the baggage people) and three more fans and u/c them all to 5v (if that's the correct term...)

Advice?

* Important * Is it worth getting a thing that splits up a 4 pin molex to 4 fan connectors? Fans use 3 pin connectors, right? How would they connect without a splitter? In the case that they (somehow) use a molex, would I have 5 molexes dangling out of my (bog-standard) psu to power the fans?

;D

Edit: 1000AMG :oops:
Edit #2: splitter :oops: :oops:
Edit #3: 'If' replaced by 'In the case that'
Edit #4: Spacing in Edit #3 fixed along with Joke At Bottom
This is like a version log ;D Soon I come out with HelpReq Version *Five*!! ;DDD

But really. I need help with this issue.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:13 am

They may not let you on the plane with that huge box...

BTW where are you flying off to? 16 hours pretty much places you anywhere in the world if you're flying from any point in U.S.

As for fan power, the 3 pin connectors plug into the motherboard headers. Usually you won't have enough headers for 3 extra fans in addition to the CPU though. You can get a molex to 3 pin adapter, a fan controller, get fans with 4 pin molex (they usually come with a pass-through connector, so you don't lose a molex).

Getting a controller is probably easiest. Getting the adapter is the cheapest. If you plug it into the MB you lose the ability to hardwire it to 5V unless you use a fanmate or have a motherboard that undervolts fans.

Marek

Post by Marek » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:27 am

Firstly i would like to congratulate you on an excellent review.

I baught this case without seeing this review and i have found this case to have a design flaw. (Now im looking for reviews and trying to pass on the information as a warning to other people who may be interested in buying it)

Overall im very happy with the case as a whole apart from the rear of the case where my AGP card screws into the case.
In the review i noticed that your motherboard has your AGP slot on the second slot down in the case, im not so lucky with my motherboard having the AGP slot at the very top which has caused me an issue with connecting the monitor cable.

My PC components are as follows:
P4 2.4 on P4PE with 2x512MB
Sapphire 9800Pro XT
WinFast TV2000 XP
Abit HotRod Pro Raid
Intel Network card

After making sure it was all installed correctly Mother board tray put back in properly
All the PCI slots lining up to the apropiate case slot
This shot is one showing my old case and the new one side by side (1600x1200) take note of all the connections of the mobo in the correct positions on the case face plate. Also note the area around the top AGP slot on both cases

Now it was time to connect all the cables to the back of the PC and fire it up..... after a few tries i found that i could not connect my monitor cable into my GFX card. Having installed the card in a central way to the slot so that the screw would secure the card well (Secured back ¦ Secured Inside) i found that the connection was way off

So to connect my monitor i had to loosen off the screw to allow the monitor to connect to the card

This renders the SVHS connection usesless as well as making the card not secured in the case very well

I dont know if im the only one affected with this since i was taking a slightly older motherboard and putting it into a new case, but really i think that they should have thought about thier design a bit more

Few Extra Images

I definitly think that i will take this case back

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:47 am

Marek wrote:Firstly i would like to congratulate you on an excellent review.

I baught this case without seeing this review and i have found this case to have a design flaw. (Now im looking for reviews and trying to pass on the information as a warning to other people who may be interested in buying it)
Dang. Looks like you tried everything. Only two suggestions that I could make are both fairly far fetched and you may have already tried one or both.

1) This pic shows the tray is well lined up but I found that there's a bunch of ways it can fit into those slots. In other words you can reposition it slightly. That may help but it doesn't look like it would.

2) Have you tried a different VGA cord to the card? It doesn't look like your current plastic connector body is any bigger than average, but maybe it is.

I can't imagine Antec would screw up like that, and certainly people would have posted about this by now if it was a common problem. The top slot is the normal position for the AGP slot so most people are going to be doing the same thing that's not working for you.

Corpsious

Post by Corpsious » Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:00 am

This is the fan I intend to get two of, but seeing as I don't know
  • How many/what type of connectors this fan has and
  • Whether CompUSA has any molex splitters/molex to 3 pin adapters
I'm not sure whether I can get those fans ;( I certainly can't afford a fan controller. Do they come with power for multiple fans? The AMG has edit: space for 5 case fans so I'm gonna need many splitters. I think I'll use my 2 existing 80mms in the front of it and buy two of these (mentioned above.) I want to make sure I have the correct power stuff.

I want to make sure I have power for these as computer shops on South Africa don't cater very well to the PC modder. (How adding a case fan is a mod, I have no idea ;D) Could someone advise me where in NY I could get splitters? And tnx for the help, lenny.

(I keep referring to CompUSA because its the only shop I know the location of, so... ;D)

Edit: I assume molexes and 3 pins are the same all around the world... and that this case will fit my south african psu ;D not that it's that different, but... nm.

Another edit: Okay, I found out that that fan uses a 4 pin molex. So I need a Molex Y-splitter. Or two.

;D

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:18 am

Corpsious wrote:This is the fan I intend to get two of
Two Vantec Tornados at > 55 dBA each!?!? I'd say you are at the wrong forum :-)

Since those are high powered fans I would assume they come with 4 pin molex connectors with pass throughs, because drawing too much power from the motherboard fan connectors will burn them out.
Corpsious wrote:I certainly can't afford a fan controller. Do they come with power for multiple fans?
They can control anywhere from 3 to 6 fans. Cost range from $12. The Vantec controllers reportedly make a buzzing sound.

With the pass-through molex connectors you don't need any splitters. I'm not sure if I'm describing it clearly enough. But essentially the fan will come with two connectors. One end connects to the molex from the power supply. The other end connects to another device (another fan, a CDROM, hard disk, etc). It is, essentially a splitter with one end of the split going to the fan.
Corpsious wrote:Edit: I assume molexes and 3 pins are the same all around the world... and that this case will fit my south african psu ;D not that it's that different, but... nm.

Another edit: Okay, I found out that that fan uses a 4 pin molex. So I need a Molex Y-splitter. Or two.
I believe they are the same the world over. The only trouble I had with equipment in your country was with the AC plug :-)

See my comments above regarding the splitter. You shouldn't need one.

Edit: I found an image here. You don't need a splitter. That's generally true, I found, even with the cheapest fans, as long as they come wired for 4 pin molex.

Corpsious

Post by Corpsious » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:28 pm

Okay. Thanks lenny ;D NOW my concern is whether the power will reach to my two fans at the front of my case (I'll use the tornadoes at the back.) I don't even know what they are powered with! I guess I've just never looked.

Edit: Hmmm... perhaps an extender? Pity I don't know whether they use 3 pin to mobo or 4pin molex... *slaps himself*

Regarding the volume: Ummm... I'll mount them with silicone rubbery thingies and wedge some sort of soft material around the edge of the fan. I really need em because my IDLE case temp is 53 and cpu is around 62. ;(. Apart from that my (current at least) case is silent. But hey, I want a shiny new case ;D.

;D

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:29 pm

Corpsious wrote:Okay. Thanks lenny ;D NOW my concern is whether the power will reach to my two fans at the front of my case (I'll use the tornadoes at the back.) I don't even know what they are powered with! I guess I've just never looked.

Edit: Hmmm... perhaps an extender? Pity I don't know whether they use 3 pin to mobo or 4pin molex... *slaps himself*
I don't quite understand what you mean. Or perhaps my explanation wasn't clear.

The Vantec Tornados draws power from the 4 pin molex. It has another 4 pin molex that you can connect something else into.

Code: Select all

From PSU -----[molex][molex]+---------[molex][e.g. HDD]
                            |
                            +----Fan
The fan does have a 3 pin connector (with 1 wire connected) to provide RPM output for the motherboard. It does not draw power from this connector. You don't need to connect this if you don't want RPM sensing.

If you're concerned about length of the cable from power supply, get a 4 pin molex extension such as this one (without the UV, of course - I couldn't find a normal one on SVC at first glance).

Corpsious

Post by Corpsious » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:06 pm

You misunderstand me! ;D I understand that the molexes split* but I was concerned about whether my current two (slow and silent) fans' power cables would reach to... wherever they draw power from (mb or psu)

By extender I meant length extender. I would have to get 2 3 pin and 2 4 pin for my front fans, to be safe. I'm reasonably sure the two back 'nadoes will be able to reach the psu just above 'em.

*can I do it like so? Would the wattage be dramatically reduced? Is this viable?

*psu*-----*mx**mx*+---------*mx**mx*+-------*mx*sidewindowfan
+fan +fan\

Edit: those +fans should have lined up with the pluses above. I'm sure you know what I mean: can I split one 4 pin molex to 2 high powered and one reasonably powered fan/s?

Again, tnxtnxtnx for the help :)

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:51 am

I'm pretty sure it'll work even with the Tornados. At 2A current, 18 AWG wire in most PSU should be fine.

Corpsious

Post by Corpsious » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:47 am

Thanks ;D wish me luck at customs persuading a computer illiterate official that a case is not a PC and that I shouldn't have to pay exorbitant amounts of tax ;D

Wai! *flies away*

NapalmDeath

Nit picky on LED colors

Post by NapalmDeath » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:14 am

Nice review !

I'm a bit nit picky on the front bezel LEDs being blue and the temp read out being green. It would have been nice if they offered the ability to change the colors. (if it is available, and I missed it in the review, apologies).

Changing out the LEDs wouldnt seem too rough, but the temp read out might be a bit of a hassle.

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

P160: a second look

Post by loren_brothers » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:36 pm

I am sorry to drag up an old thread (on my 1st post none-the-less), but I did a topic search and this seems to be the place to post my 2 cents worth. :o

The P160 review was very in-depth and well done. But it was, of course, done before the case was available to the general public and on a promo case provided by Antec. Also most of the posts in this thread were made prior to the mid-December '03 retail release date, with the last post on the 2nd of January, '04. What I want to do here is to add some of my own 'review' of the P160 case. I had some problems and I want others to be aware of them too.

In mid-November I decided that I wanted to spend $140 on this fancy new P160 case from Antec, but when I went to order it I was told that due to "manufacturing defects" the case would not be available until mid-december. Okay, patience is a virtue. Right? So I put in my order and waited. On the big day I rushed down to pick up my new fancy case. But due to other problems I didn't get around to rebuild my system into it until 3 weeks later.

That is when the problems reared their ugly heads :twisted: . In general the P160 case was everything the review made it out to be! Except for the following:
  • The rear I/O shield was so poorly toleranced to the point of my having to do minor sheet metal work on it to get my MB in place on the tray.

The front bezel had several problems with it. The drive bay doors would not allow the drive trays to retract. Upon retraction the trays would get hung up on the tabs on the doors that they were supposed to glide over!

The thru-buttons on the bezel for the drives and the floppy were not aligned properly (or poorly designed), resulting in frequent incorrect/nonexistant operation.

The plastic/rubber fan attachments thingies tore in half while trying to install them, so I just replaced them with rubber O-rings between the case and the fan body.
It is my assumption (and that is all it is) that cases were shipped out with front bezels that were of pre-"manufacturing defects" design. This I decided I could live with, since I finally had my fancy new case. Until.....

...the supplied 120mm fan gasped, choked, and died a gruesome death after just 30-days use. As far as the fan goes the review was in remiss: the included fan was Antec's bottom of the line budget model designed to run @ 2000 RPM w/ a 45+ dB level. That is a funny thing to include in an expensive case that is supposed to be "quiet" design? Isn't it?

In all other respects the case is absolutely marvy! As far as the "humming" referred to in the review: it is my guess is that is just noise/vibration from the low-end fan, which is no longer available for purchase on their web site! Go figure?

And to be perfectly fair to Antec they were very good about it (once I got hold of a live person) and are currently shipping me a new front bezel and fan at no cost and no RMA hassles for me to deal with. Now I am going to see if the replacements function properly and if they sent me the same garbage-fan that was originally included? They do have a "PRO" 120mm fan, (2000 RPM/29 dB) that seems to be a better choice for use with this case.

I am fairly surprised that nobody has posted about these problems, but if somebody runs into them they should contact Antec, as they seem to be aware of these problems (surprise?) and are willing to bend over backwards to rectify them.

my assembly photos

Loren

Orion Creative Works

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: P160: a second look

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:34 am

loren_brothers - WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

Thanks for you comments of the P160. I'd like to reply to your concerns, using my review sample as a frame of reference.
loren_brothers wrote:The rear I/O shield was so poorly toleranced to the point of my having to do minor sheet metal work on it to get my MB in place on the tray.
The rear I/O shield that came with the case, and the Intel I/O shield that I used for my build both fit nicely into the mobo tray, and the tray/shield/mobo all lined up perfectly on my system.
loren_brothers wrote:The front bezel had several problems with it. The drive bay doors would not allow the drive trays to retract. Upon retraction the trays would get hung up on the tabs on the doors that they were supposed to glide over!
I had no problems with the flip out doors, they worked perfectly every time, although I was a little nervous the first time I used it, as I had never used a case with this type of doors before.
loren_brothers wrote:The thru-buttons on the bezel for the drives and the floppy were not aligned properly (or poorly designed), resulting in frequent incorrect/nonexistant operation.
No problems for me here either. I assume there's no spec for the location on the buttons on an optical drive so maybe yours were in a bit of a different place. Another thought: between your CD tray issue and your button issue, I'm thinking that your bezel isn't mounted correctly and somehow the misalignment is causing both issues.
loren_brothers wrote:The plastic/rubber fan attachments thingies tore in half while trying to install them, so I just replaced them with rubber O-rings between the case and the fan body.
They certainly are delicate, and as I noted in my review, the edges of the holes were sharp enough to shave plastic from cables, so I used care (and my technique of lubricating the barbs with a little soapy water, as described several times in the SPCR forums druing discussions of mounting the EAR fan isolators) and had no problems at all.
loren_brothers wrote:It is my assumption (and that is all it is) that cases were shipped out with front bezels that were of pre-"manufacturing defects" design.
Then I must have got lucky and got a "post-manufacturing defects" review sample. :)
loren_brothers wrote: As far as the fan goes the review was in remiss: the included fan was Antec's bottom of the line budget model designed to run @ 2000 RPM w/ a 45+ dB level. That is a funny thing to include in an expensive case that is supposed to be "quiet" design? Isn't it?
I don't know what it's rated at and I really don't care, I let my ears and Motherboard monitor make my fan judgements for me. I've found that fan specs aren't a very good indicator of how well a fan actually works, sometimes the manufacturers outright lie, and other times their measuring methods are dubious at best.

As I noted in the review: "I first tried this fan out at 12 volts and while it wasn't as loud as some 120mm fans that I've heard, it was still too loud for me so I undervolted it to 5 volts. At 5 volts it's pretty darn quiet, and puts out a fairly decent amount of air so I left it.". Even at 5V it's actually louder than the 120mm fans that I run in my own systems, but my own systems are noticeably quieter than the P160 system I built for this review so I was content to leave the stock Antec fan in the case, running at 5V. That fan is still running well to this day, over 4 months since I assembled the system.
loren_brothers wrote:As far as the "humming" referred to in the review: it is my guess is that is just noise/vibration from the low-end fan, which is no longer available for purchase on their web site! Go figure?

The humming that I heard was a composite of all the mechanical noise fron the case fans, PSU fan, CPU fan and HDD vibration that was transmitted throughout the relatively flimsy aluminum chassis. It is found in every aluminum case that I've ever heard, and is not found in halfway decent steel cases. Your humming may have been exacerbated by having to mount the 120mm fan directly to the back wall using O-rings instead of the included isoators. In my experience, those isolators do a much better job of keeping the fan's vibrations from being transmitted into the case than the harder and less compliant O-rings do.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:38 am

Fan specs on the included fan are:
-RPM: 1600
-CFM: 56.13
-dB(A): 28

AntecRep

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:42 am

AntecRep wrote:Fan specs on the included fan are:
-RPM: 1600
-CFM: 56.13
-dB(A): 28

AntecRep
Yeah, the fan on my P160 sounded like that, not at all like 45dB, even at 12V. Maybe loren_brothers got the wrong fan in his P160 somehow...

ahrbruz
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ahrbruz » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:33 pm

I too had drive tray problems; the quick solution was to remove the face plates on the drives themselves. No problems since.

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:49 pm

:D

HA! Now I know I'm not alone out here! :roll:

thanks ahrbruz

loren
orion creative works

Gentoo

Post by Gentoo » Sun May 21, 2006 2:27 am

Not to be the gravedigger or anything, but has anyone had any recent exprience with this case, specfically the windowed version?

hravn

Post by hravn » Sun May 21, 2006 10:27 pm

Gentoo wrote:Not to be the gravedigger or anything, but has anyone had any recent exprience with this case, specfically the windowed version?
I sold mine 6 months ago ;)

eoctanker

P160 or P150???

Post by eoctanker » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:41 pm

hravn,

I noticed that you have a P150 and sold the P160. How much better is teh P150 over the P160? If any. I am getting ready to mod a new system and am looking to go as quiet as possible without going to the monolithic towers... I also don't like the doors on the front so, the P150 is looking pretty good right now. Add the Asus AN8 SLI Premium with passive cooling, a real quiet PCU fan and a passive 7900GT and I will be all set.

hravn

Post by hravn » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:39 pm

Well, I can't really honestly say, since the only thing that I saved from the P160-build was a couple of hard drives. But they are at least a lot more quiet when suspended in the P150 (and cooler! go figure) than they were in the P160.