Enermax NoiseTaker II PSU: New Rev of an Old Favorite

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Enermax NoiseTaker II PSU: New Rev of an Old Favorite

Post by Devonavar » Sun May 28, 2006 1:14 pm

blandoon

Post by blandoon » Wed May 31, 2006 12:42 pm

It's interesting that the two different diameters of fans contribute to the bad character of the noise.

I was considering using multiple sizes of fans in a system build, the idea being to avoid avoid "phasing" fan noise, as you would get with two fans spinning near (but not exactly) the same speed. Now I'm thinking that might not work as well as I hoped.

Any thoughts on whether the noise would have been better with a 120mm in place of the 92mm?

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Wed May 31, 2006 12:48 pm

*sigh, oh how I remember WAY back when in the days of the Enermax Whisper PSUs... those things were freaking quiet ;)... but then again back then I had a ThermalTake Silent Boost.... lol

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:27 am

As I began reading the review, I said out loud, "Okay, Enermax, the last version was good. Don't screw this up now!" Oops!

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:04 pm

Wow, Devon you take no prisoners. Enermax got bitchslapped in this review. Most other sites would balance it by talking about how great the gold coloured fan grills are or something. ;) Nice review btw. Enermax has been very far off the price/performance curve in PSUs and cases for a while.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:13 pm

The review would have given me a shock if Enermax had changed their ways.

They havent, they still pander to the "Overclockers" crowd of huge wattage numbers and fantastic cooling, and pretend to listen to the "Silence" crowd by naming their product "Noisetaker II".

What a load of "cat presents" (Bullsh*t might be a tad rude for some people ;) ). They have not changed at all, Antec have always have a good rep, but noise was not the top of their list a few years ago, until the sonata came out, all of their products were simply LOUD.

I dont think that any SPCR readers are going to look at this "Noisetaker" unless they are looking at replacing both fans, and moding the voltages. If anyone does, and they are succesful I will say "well done", and then ask why.???

Coolermaster............... are you listening................ Your products may be cool, but are damned loud, sort your products out, and remove the word "Silence" from all of your products until you stop lying.

Andy

PS: Mistake P5, 5, temp + cooling........... Other the other hand, the intake temperature, which should not change significantly between tests, jumped up by as much as 10°C. The first other should be On.!!!! I will delete this when I see the error has been changed. Kind Regards Andy

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:55 pm

I remember going through newsgroups looking for silencing info before I found SPCR, the Noisetaker line was nicknamed "the Enermax Noisemaker"
Last edited by Shadowknight on Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:40 pm

Haha, sometimes poor products get mocked so badly, not that this psu is a BAD product (more like not up to par). "Noisemaker" reminds me of products like BOSE Acousticmess and particularly the Joystick for the original NES called NES advantage which me and my friends renamed to NES disadvantage.

Looks like seasonic is still a solid choice, although I used to have an old enermax which was EXTREMELY quiet after a fan swap. I feel like the newer enermax's with the speed control do not let swapped fans be as quiet as older models without the speed control feature (and are also slightly harder to mod, IIRC). I do like that they reduced the vents in the back though.

-Ken