Finally, I got to upgrade my rig... Antec Sonata Plus 550

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

that Linux guy

Finally, I got to upgrade my rig... Antec Sonata Plus 550

Post by that Linux guy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:17 pm

Since the day I got my old CoolerMaster Centurion C5 case with the loud 380w PSU, I've known I wanted to build a quieter computer. Well, I'm one huge step in the right direction. I finally got my Antec Sonata Plus 550 case with an Antec NeoHE 550w PSU, DFI LanParty DK P35 T2RS mainboard, 4Gb OCZ Reaper-HPC PC2-6400 RAM (4-4-4-12), Intel E8400, and my old parts consisting of my Creative Audigy SE sound card, PNY Verto 7900GS, my DVD burner, and WD 2500KS harddrive. Here's some pics.

I just built the whole thing yesterday. I have a small problem with the RAM as the motherboard won't even post with the OCZ, but it loves my step-brothers 1Gb stick of generic stuff. I'm thinking it's a voltage issue, as the OCZ is thirsty at 2.1v out of the gate.

I ran as many of the cables behind the mobo and wrapped around the hooks behind the HDD cage, but that IDE cable makes it look terrible at first glance. I'm hoping to move to all SATA cables in the future, and adding upgraded cooling, new fans, and a new video card. I was hoping my 7900GS was just very bottlenecked by my old Athlon64 3500+, but it wasn't I guess. My card stutters in Portal maxed out, 1680x1050.

Well, this is a good start. I'm selling 3 computers and my nice Sennheiser headphones for a HD4870 (or maybe 4850), and some Grado SR125's.

Thanks for checking out my rig. It proudly runs Debian Linux (and Winders for games unfortunately :()

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:21 pm

Looks quite good. I like the orange details in case. They look really good ^^

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:41 pm

thejamppa wrote:Looks quite good. I like the orange details in case. They look really good ^^
I've always liked the Solo, but I wish it had some color. Plus the orange matches my mainboard :) :)

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:05 pm

Is that the foam they mentioned in that MaximumPC article with cable management?

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:48 pm

alphabetbackward wrote:Is that the foam they mentioned in that MaximumPC article with cable management?
I'm not sure what foam exactly you're talking about. Are you talking about the stuff on the side panels? If so, it's not really foam. It feels more stiff than foam, and much more dense. Whatever, it is, it definitely helps keep sound from bouncing around inside of the case. It's very, very quiet to my ears, but then again, I've only just begun in silent computing. Cheap dollar-store headphones used to be enough and now I can't stand listening to anything with a good pair of cans (cans are slang for headphones BTW). Compared to the Cooler Master Centurion C5 w/ CM 380w PSU, this thing is whisper quiet. I can hear the harddrives seeking and spinning up, but I'm using the racks, not the suspension.

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Sorry, I meant that thing on the left of your desk.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:00 pm

Oh that's just a cheap speaker from Wal-Mart. They suck :)

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 am

Heh. Okay, I guess I'm being too vague. :oops:

I'm looking at that gray tubing that says "Threshold" and is leaning on the desk.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:13 pm

Oh, thats for my front door, but I'm more busy staring at my new computer :) The front door can wait. :)

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:00 am

Well, I've got the grills cut out, and I'm waiting for my Nexus case fans to get here. Supposed to be here on the 4th, hopefully sooner. I'll get some pics up when I get 'em all in. My first real case-mod, and I'm pretty excited.

nici

Post by nici » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:25 am

If you want the IDE cable cleaner, use a ribbon cable and do some cablegami. Much better than those round thingies.

Also, Grado > Senhheiser :) Have 325is and a pair of 80s and some 555 Senns myself.

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:42 am

Eww, so many fingerprints on the front of the case. Not that I'm a very neat person, but are prints really that visible, or is it just the photo (flash?)?

Oh, and ... eww, dirty laundry. :wink:

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:45 am

KlaymenDK wrote:Eww, so many fingerprints on the front of the case. Not that I'm a very neat person, but are prints really that visible, or is it just the photo (flash?)?

Oh, and ... eww, dirty laundry. :wink:
Those finger prints have since then been wiped off. I had assembled the machine entirely, including cablegami, only to find it wouldn't post. It turned out that the mainboard's default voltage for the RAM wasn't enough. It wouldn't boot until I'd gotten a hold of some generic DDR2 (pictured), bumped up the voltage to 2.1, and popped in my OCZ Reaper. Now it's running perfect... that is, until my Western Digital 2500KS harddrive started popping up bad sector after bad sector.

As for the clothes, my girlfriend and I had just moved in the week before and were in the middle of laundry-fest 2008.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:20 pm

Well, I decided to take some better pics of the rig, and fix a few things While I was at it. The DFI rounded IDE cable got tossed into my computer junk box, and out came traditional ribbon IDE cable, and I think it looks much better. I also used some diagonals and cut out the fan grills. They're not as clean cut as I wanted, but it definitely works. Here are the updated pics.

By that_linux_guy, shot with Canon PowerShot A520 at 2008-09-02

What do y'all think?

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Nexus fans are finally here! Just got them installed.

By ahale1987, shot with Canon PowerShot A520 at 2008-09-04

By ahale1987, shot with Canon PowerShot A520 at 2008-09-04

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:38 am

cablegami is seriously better ^^ You're machine looks very nice now. Nexus fans are old champions but still great. I love them.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:01 am

Thanks jamppa :)

The fans are nice and quiet, but the complete rig is a slightly (and I mean very slightly) noticeable airflow noise than with the single Tri-cool on low. Still damn quiet though, and all the fans are at 12V. The screamer on my 7900GS and the wimpy Intel HSF have got to go.

I may also have some new upgrades on the way. A Sapphire Radeon HD4850, and either a Western Digital 6400AAKS or a GreenPower 500. Shortly after will be an HR-01 and a Trad2!

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:34 am

If you can't get u-rubber you could get broken bike innertube and cut "corners" and get u-rubber like that. That's really good to cover tin snip residues. That is all I really can recomend... well 7900 GS could be ran passively with S1.... Oh, yes... What is your Monitor's model, I can see its Acer...

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:13 pm

Yeah, I know I should trim the edges of the once-fan grills, but I'm always back and forth at a local auto parts store. I'll be sure to try and pick something up.

I know my 7900GS could go passive, but I'm saving the money for a better card. It's great for Half-Life 2, Call Of Duty 2, or NFS: Most Wanted, but newer games don't run very well at all. Even at 800x600, I'm barely getting 40fps.

My monitor is an Acer AL2216W. I got it on Newegg for $200, free shipping. (It was normally $220 and 15$ shipping... I made out like a bandit!). It's my first LCD and a big upgrade from my 16" IBM P70 CRT monitor ^_^

HappyJack96

Post by HappyJack96 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:37 am

Hi Linux guy!

The Antec TriCool fan in my SOLO case sounds quiet; maybe the (cheap) soft fan mounts help. Nexus fan is quieter I suppose? Your front fans look to be mounted with Acousti Ultra-Soft Fan Mounts? Perhaps rear fan is also? I understand THEY are the BEST!

Was there a noticeable sound difference after cutting out rear fan grill? I've pondered doing that myself, but have read that often it actually does nothing. Stock holes are quite large on SOLO case. However, I do like the appearance of cut grill, finished with black channel stuff, then covered with round chrome grill :) THAT would look GREAT with your black & white fan! :idea:

You may get away with one (or no) fan in front to reduce noise, and still have enough intake for a passive GPU cooler? That popular huge Accelero seems efficient with low airflow. I also have stock Intel fan/heatsink, but ultimately want something fanless. Since I don't have a graphics card, nor overclock, my goal is TWO fans ONLY; Case and PSU. Quiet!

Enjoy!
Russell

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:58 am

Hi,

You can't hear the stock Intel HSF during normal operation? What about the video card HSF?

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:54 pm

Ola HappyJack. Yes, all of my fans, save for the 80mm PSU fan are soft-mounted Nexus models. After I got the 2x 92mm fans up front, they're noticeable, but not unbearable. I got them when I was running more harddrives, but I currently run a single Western Digital 6400AAKS. Cool, fast, and quiet. The same thing was said about my original KS series drive, but it proved to die, active cooling or not.

I didn't notice much of a different in cutting the grills. I liked the look but never finished it with U-channel like I'd planned. All I had on hand were small steel snips, so I couldn't do much finish work. Perhaps when my friend returns my Dremel, I can do something a bit more show worthy. I probably would've noticed more of a difference after everything else was silenced, but since I'm still rocking factory heatsinks, the snipped grill mod's improvement has yet to be seen.

If I do any changes to the front fans, it'll be swapping out the 2x 92mm fans for 1x 12cm Nexus. The Nexus 12cm fan at full 12v is still slightly quieter than the Tri-cool on low. Unfortunately, my desk chair broke my Tri-cool fan, so I can't do a A-B comparison.

Neil, The Intel heatsink isn't really loud, but under load, I can hear the fan motor over any "whoosh" sound of air. It's a huge improvement in a factory heatsink over my AMD Athlon64 heatsink. I still want to replace it with something, but I'm unsure with what. I can't make up my mind.

The factory heatsink on the 7900GS is fine at idle, but noticeable. When I fire up a game, or a full-screen movie, it's a different story. It's not distractingly loud, but it's definitely not quiet. If I were trying to do homework with my GPU at a load, I'd be looking for a new place to study. I'm still saving for an upgrade so I haven't gotten a heatsink for it. GTX 260 or HD4870. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Ollie`

Post by Ollie` » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:59 am

Sorry to bump this oldish post but i'm thinking about buying this case/psu. I'm wondering if the PSU has the 8pin cpu power connector needed instead of the 4pin.

Thanks

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:57 am

Ollie` wrote:Sorry to bump this oldish post but i'm thinking about buying this case/psu. I'm wondering if the PSU has the 8pin cpu power connector needed instead of the 4pin.

Thanks
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6517 ... 007cp5.jpg

Ollie`

Post by Ollie` » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:18 pm

Yea, I saw that just wanted to make sure it wasn't and adapter or something.

Thanks

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:42 pm

Ollie` wrote:Yea, I saw that just wanted to make sure it wasn't and adapter or something.

Thanks
http://www.antec.com/specs/NeoPower550_spe.html

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Ollie, I was wondering the same thing too before I bought it. Trust me, it took me some searching before I found my answer. As I'm sure Monkeh16 has kindly pointed out, it does. The adapter you see is for a 4-pin floppy power connector that my mainboard needs. The PSU came with such an adapter, I just couldn't find it in the crappy work area I had at the time. The adapter is from my big box O computer stuff.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:06 am

Update. My 7900GS and Audigy SE are soon being replaced with a 1Gb Radeon HD4870 gfx card and an Asus Xonar D2 sound card. Giggity!

ddrj

Post by ddrj » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:56 pm

that Linux guy wrote:Update. My 7900GS and Audigy SE are soon being replaced with a 1Gb Radeon HD4870 gfx card and an Asus Xonar D2 sound card. Giggity!
Hey m8! that's the same video card i have atm, what cooler are you thinking of using on it?

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:46 am

ddrj wrote:
that Linux guy wrote:Update. My 7900GS and Audigy SE are soon being replaced with a 1Gb Radeon HD4870 gfx card and an Asus Xonar D2 sound card. Giggity!
Hey m8! that's the same video card i have atm, what cooler are you thinking of using on it?
I'm somewhat settled on the Scythe Musashi with a fan swap to the standard-depth 100m fans. It's my understanding that the Musashi, the Thermalright Trad2 and the AC Accelero S1 w/ a fan are the best aftermarket air coolers for the HD4870. Anything better and you're on water.

I'm also still tossing around the idea of going all thermalright cooling and getting the Trad2 with a couple Nexus 92mm units.

Probably going with the Scythe setup.