MikeC's external PSU PC

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:33 pm

well

I was thinking of putting it to the right side behind the computer behind the desk so people wont see it, i wasnt planning to put it on top of the comp.

but then i was thinking that there is no cable extensions for the big plug and also airflow wouldnt be that good at the bottom behind the comp.

~RaNDoM

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:42 pm

o MikeC i got a bone to pick with you

The Nexus NX-3000 wires are to short. I did the external PSU mod like yours, i got the nexus laying on top of my PC right now with the exhaust grill cut out.

But since the wires are to short, i am only using one HDD and one optical drive.

good thing i had one wire extender or i would not of been able to use my HDD at all =(

also, i now notice my nexus has so fan noise, i didnt notice this before, could it have been that inside the case it was dampen?

LMK your thoughts on the nexus fan noise. i am gonna run some test now to see the temps

~RaNDoM

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:20 pm

also, i now notice my nexus has so fan noise, i didnt notice this before
You means some right?

OK, so what's the bone? That your unmodded Nexus is not as quiet as a Panaflo-modded PSU? That the Nexus cables are shorter than Zalman PSU cables? That I am somehow responsible for these facts? :lol:

Let's just say this: If you wanted to, you could replace the Nexus fan with something much quieter and slower -- without hurting the PSU life or stability because its ambient temp should be at least 12~15C lower than when it is inside the case.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:43 pm

MikeC wrote:Cable extensions? Why do you need anything like that? I don't use any in that set up, cables are long enough. The point is just to get it out of the box. And yes, turning it upside down is better.
see... you saying that lead me to not buy any cable extensions and assume that my cables were long enough already. you should of say, my zalmans wires were very long and i am not sure about the nexus:o

anyway, i have open the nexus a long time ago and it is the same as my sparkle 300 GRE and that the fan wires are solder to a little PCB on top.

is it ok if i just snips those wires and use a panaflo L1A and send it's wires out of the psu and into the mobo fan header? the nexus wont freak out because it is not sensoring a fan right?

also so far, under prime 95, temps have not improved at all. i would say they are about the same or 1C-2C degrees higher.

maybe i should put the 120mm fan back and put a 80mm panaflo in the psu hole?

but first, i gotta do something about this nexus noise, before with it in the box i didnt notice it at all, now it is totally noiceable even from a meter away.

~RaNDoM

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:43 am

i just wanted to update on my status with the external psu

The nexus is back to normal, the fan is spinning slow again and i cant hear it at all unless i put my ear next to it, i guess it had to get use to being upside down.

my overall temps are not much better.

with case closed, my cpu idles at 44~46C and after prime 95 for a hour it was like 57C. the case temps were 33~35C

but this is kind of neat.
With the side panel off. My cpu temps 39~42C idle and after a hour of prime 95 it was only 51C. The case temp are around 29C

anyone have any ideas on what i should try to get my temps always like they are with the side panel off but have it on??

~RaNDoM

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:11 am

It's been a year and a half, have you made any changes to your hardware or case setup? Is it still your primary rig?