My new computer
that i built last week after my old motherboard died on me.
* AMD64 2800
* Zalman 7000A-AlCu
* 512MB ddr400 (cheap Kingston cas3
) 1GB cas2 on the wishlist
* ASUS k8v se deluxe (bios 1003, q-fan and cool&quiet enabled for now)
* Antec SLK 3700-AMB (cut front and back fan grills and the bottom of the front, stock 120mm fan @ 5V)
* Ati Radeon 9100 pro (fan from AMD64 stock cooler, thermally controlled and running @5V) fanless 9600AIW or better on the wishlist.
* Samsung Spinpoint 80GB, 2MB pata
* Seagate Cuda IV 60GB, 2MB pata
* Both HDs in the normal grommeted HD cage, just bent the supports out of the way. They sound far more in this case than they did hardmounted in a smallr drivecage in my ancient Enlight case . . . Have to suspend them quickly.
* Original case PSU
Better one next on the wishlist.
Both the case and graphic card fans run 5V by reversing the molex fan connector. Has to be the easiest silent mod possible
Cut out fan grills and taped up unwanted holes to get proper airflow.
The case fan and fan on the graphic card are mounted on soft rubber lists (like the ones you can put in your windows or around doors) and held in place with - whatsthename - zip locks?
"Ralfied" the cables a bit but had to change them around after XP would not install on the Promise controller, think I know how to fix that now but I dont have time for another reinstall atm. So I'll fix it upp better next time.
Running it with "Cool & Quit" and "Q-fan" to underclock and undervolt the CPU during idle and also slowing down or even stopping the CPU fan.
Could not get the C&Q software to work untill I changed decimal divider from comma to point in language settings.
PSU fan and HD seek next in line to be silenced, but this far this is much more silent than any computer I'v built since my first fanless p120 in 95.
Atm mbm5 reports:
CPU fan: 0 rpm
No rpm monitoring on the other fans. (or I could connect the graphiccard fan to the case fan socket but them I'd have to run it at 7-8V)
C&Q: 1000MHz, 1.0750V
Much thanks to you all and this site.