Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jamesavery22

Quiet P4 setup, modded heatpipe and a REALLY big heatsink

Post by jamesavery22 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:47 pm

Initial mesh metal cut for the sides...

Bolts that hold everything together...

PLaying with spacing...

A SERIOUSLY cut up thermaltake silent tower. Man that thing had a lot of fins. Surprisingly the fins were not brazed and where not soldered. Just slid down ontop of the 6 heatpipes. I just took a flat head screwdriver to jimmy one lose then I could pull it off with my fingers. Took awhile but did no damage to the heatpipes...

Heatpipes after being bent and marking the heatsink for mounts...

Mounting holes made and initial brackets. I just cut up the fins I ripped off the heatsink to make the brackets.

Checking positioning. Its not show in the pic but I had to make another mounting backet as I couldnt get the stock one to work with the way I wanted the heatpipes oriented:
Mostly assembled and running...

Pretty much finished pics:

Need to get a new PS (hopefully will fix my HT'ing probs) and will add a DVD/cd-rw laptop drive

Had to take down pics. Got a PM saying 56k'ers were complaining. No one on other forums complained and I don thave time to resize and reupload all the pics, sorry. Im redoing the mounting on this PC when I finish my HTPC (which I'll post pics also) so I'll post final (and yes smaller) pics then. Probably mid-Nov. Think its kool a lot of people were looking though :D Thanks for the compliments everyone.
Last edited by jamesavery22 on Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:33 pm

Fine work. It does look like a PITA to work on though...

efcoins
Friend of SPCR

Post by efcoins » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:32 am

A bit like a project that I was planning.
Your heatpipes are too short to allow decent access to the motherbord, which is my main problem as well.

PhilgB

Post by PhilgB » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:42 am

Specs? Temps?

Good work, but it seems like a total waste with all those fans on it...

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:50 am

PhilgB wrote:
Good work, but it seems like a total waste with all those fans on it...
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: That's what I don't get about the people that are looking to passively cool a 50W+ CPU and system that resides in a typical ATX case. You're still going to need at least one or two fans to keep a bit of airflow going, unless perhaps you're running w/o a case or in some sort of non-standard configuration. And if you have a couple of even super quiet fans, why not add another to the CPU? You'll end up with infinitely better cooling with no noticeable increase in noise.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:54 pm

Well I'm impressed by your efforts, and that heatsink looks great! However I have to agree with Ralf and others... What exactly are you trying to achieve? It doesn't look like silence is a high priority; you could have a quieter setup with much less effort. On the other hand, it probably wouldn't take much to turn your system into a quiet rig. What are the temps with those two larger fans switched off? I bet that little fan on your PSU whines a bit...

MadModder

Post by MadModder » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:38 pm

My guess is the big heatsink can manage to get rid of the heat just fine without the two big fans.

Straker

Post by Straker » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:33 pm

...well, there is a fan on the cpu... two in fact. :P

i see what you mean, but that doesn't really count anyways, since the heat is immediately transferred to the outside of the "case" regardless.

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:11 am

My goal was noise. THe two fans on there are 92mm FBA09A12V Panaflos. They arent the "quiet" fans, they are literally dead silent. If I turn off the PSU fan I can only hear the fans if Im under 3 feet away and even then they are a very slight hum. They are very very weak fans, they are the speed control ones, I have no input for the 3rd pin so they spin at 1000rpm. But they put enough of a breeze over the heatsink to keep temps down.

my ambient in my room varies from 23-27c. My temps vary between 43c-47c. I tried to run it passively but temps got over 60c and kept rising, just not confortable with that. Thats full load. I dont care about idle, box is running FaD 24/7.

I need to replace the PS, its too loud and its too weak. Just dont have time right now. As someone already said its REAL PITA to work with. Didnt make it to be modular, just a quiet router,mailserver,FaD box to throw in a corner. I also need to buy a slim laptop cdrom. Just dont have the time...

Straker

Post by Straker » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:27 pm

Those are pretty nice temps for basically just heatpipes on the CPU. Any chance you have any pics of the CPU (like, what you have the heatpipes attached to on that end)? How long are those pipes?

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:17 pm

Straker wrote:Those are pretty nice temps for basically just heatpipes on the CPU. Any chance you have any pics of the CPU (like, what you have the heatpipes attached to on that end)? How long are those pipes?
Not really sure what you mean... The base of the heatpipes are just the base of the thermal take silent tower. I left that intact. The heatpipes were about 120mm long on each side. So there are 3 240mm long heatpipes folded in half at the base.

That shows the base.

The heatpipes are screwed to the base which is all covered in Artic Silver Ceramique. The heatpipes transfer plenty of heat to the heatsink, hence why a breeze over it keeps it at those temps...
Last edited by jamesavery22 on Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:09 am

Awsome work man, but you just have to do something about that PSU fan.

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:04 pm

Very close to finishing the second revision of it, I'll post new pics when I do. Maybe a week or two more. Not enough time =(