Very simple, very cheap, and VERY quiet.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

axle

Very simple, very cheap, and VERY quiet.

Post by axle » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:20 pm

After years and years of trying everything in sight, this is the very best. I tried watercooling, passive watercooling, zero fans, the 'Cuda drives, hundreds of different fans, a few cases, many heatsinks, and 5 PSUs. And this is still the best.

Specs:
+Abit NF7-S v1.old
+1700+ DUT3C (1.47v)
+GF4 Ti4200 128MB
+2x512MB Mushkin Level 1 Black PC3500
+250GB WD 7200
+Lite-On DVD/CDR 52X
+Seasonic "Tornado" 300w

&

+Sunbeam Baybus
+Panaflo 120mm OEM
+SilentDrive 2002
+Speeze FalconRock w/ 80mm Panaflo L1A
+Good faith & frequent prayer (especially in UT2K4)

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Guys, take it from me. I am crazy about noise. I've found very few people who are as sensitive as me; maybe it comes from years of living on empty acres, but I hear everything. So when I say that 99.99% of the time you're not hearing your fans, you're hearing your HD, try it out. When I moved from passive WC (I mean I had not one single fan--not in the PSU, nowhere) to what I have now, I noticed nada. When I got that SilentDrive and put it on top of some sorbothane from McMaster-Carr, it was night & day. Those engineered "quiet" hard drives can't hold a candle to this device.

It's not silent. But, my CRT buzzes louder than it. So, that's good enough for me.

>I'm thinking of moving to SFF... anyone do the cube thing?<

Cheers,
alex

ps-when I say "very cheap", I mean in relation to how much money I've spent in search of the ever-elusive "silent PC".

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:38 pm

Nice work but DUDE, shorten and sleeve those cables! This, and finishing the rear grill cut will make that system look real sweet.

Go axle, go axle, go, go, go! :D