No perfect silence.. [Update 2]

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mei

No perfect silence.. [Update 2]

Post by mei » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:21 pm

Hi again, third time i update this crap but it's going to the right way i think.
First update is that ive got some stuff from a friend that had upgraded his system to an A64, so i borrowed his old stuff and he borrowed one of my Maxtor 120gb hard disk.

AMD Athlon 2800+ (before 2400+), Leadtech Geforce 6600GT, Asus A7N8X-X (before: Gigabyte GA-7VA (r.1)), Maxtor 120GB (before: 2x), Antec SX600II & Antec SL300SP 300W.

CPU
New heatsink and fan that he had before, not noisy at all at 5v but i will change it out to the old heatsink in copper and a new fan (presumably to a Nexus or a Papts depending on the price).

Temp (HSF @ 5v):
Idle: 40 C
Load: 45-47 C

Hard disk
Because i borrowed my second hard disk to my friend, it was really easy to quite down the hard disk, so i suspended the hard disk under the 5.42" bay. All the vibaration from it is gone, but i can still hear it when it's working, so i will fix something better.

Temp:
Idle: 25 C
Load: 28-30 C

GFX
I will not touch it again, i tried to remove the heatsink but i failed.
As lucky i am, i got a new card from the great shop ive brought it in, so now i can take a breather.
I know its noisy, but i will not take the risk again to destroy it.

Temp (Fan at the side of the case ON):
Idle: 30 C
Load: 34 C

Temp (Fan at the side of the case OFF):
Idle: 37 C
Load: 41 C

Motherboard
Nothing wrong whit it just that it whine i think, so im gonna change it out to my old motherboard when ive got time.

Temp:
Idle: 20 C
Load: 25 C

Case and PSU
PSU fan is kinda noisy, will change that out. I really dislike the case, but im not gonna brought a new one, so im gonna be happy with it as it is.

Temp (PSU):
I dont know, kinda high, it's blowing hot air all the time.

Temp (Inside of the case):
Around 25-29 C depending if the side fan is on or of

Pictures

Click for bigger versions

Last edited by mei on Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:59 pm

Change your fans (nexus, panaflo). Remove your side cover fan (leave it open) and put a fan in the back sucking air out. See if that helps at all.

mei

Post by mei » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:13 am

tay wrote:Change your fans (nexus, panaflo). Remove your side cover fan (leave it open) and put a fan in the back sucking air out. See if that helps at all.
You cant by Nexus and Panaflo fans in Sweden (Well you can, but thats very expensive), but ive done some updates with my case, i just need a camera so i can show.
The first thing i have done after does pictures i cutting up a 120mm hole in the front and put a 120mm ADDA (It's quite!) and undervolted the 92mm fan to 5v, and its quite. I have (I dont know what you call it here) hang up my hardrives in a 5.4" cage from an other case and putted it in front of the 120mm fan, and then i have hang up the 5.4" cage in my case. Its hard to explain, but i will get back my camera soon so i can show you all.
The cpu fan is at 5v and you cant hear it. The only thing i need to do now, is to change out that little fan on my grapichcard and maybe change out the 92mm fan or cut a new hole so i can fit a 120mm fan.
I dont want to place or do anything in the back of the case, because the only thing you can place there is a 80mm fan or maybe a 92mm but thats weak, so the 92mm fan at the side of the case is sucking out air.

peterson

Post by peterson » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:44 am

In Sweden Panaflo can, from my knowledge, only be bought at http://www.overclocker.se, and only the 80mm. I can highly recommend Pabst as they are available almost everywhere and are quiet. Find the right dealer and you can save up to 100SEK/fan :shock: Have a look at http://www.pcaction.se, they are the cheapest in fans i know of.

And as tay wrote, put a fan at the back. The side fan can still be there but would probably be better if you could mount it further inside the chassi, with some duct, and having rotate as slow as possible.
The 6600GT can be cooled passivley? No? Would maybe be a good combination. :)
If you have some of that damping material left, try put some on the door for starters.

Good luck! It's a nice start :)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:05 am

Don't put a fan in the back. I don't know why the others insist on that. With a 120mm intake fan, an 80mm fan in the back would only add noise and limit the airflow.

With a case that has wide open paths for air to flow through it, you should go for either positive (i.e. intake fans) or negative (i.e. exhaust fans) pressure. Balanced airflow (i.e. intake and exhaust fans) is only usefull with restricted flow paths. Otherwise it only adds noise.

P.S. I don't like Papst 80mm fans. They make a rumbling motor noise.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:54 am

I would say the 2 92 mm Delta will definitely have to go (I've tried that and as you said it's horrible even at 5v.).

With 2 quieter fans, I would try put 1 as intake similar to what you've and the second one on the back. This will give your case 2 exhaust fans - one 92 mm you just put and one 80 mm in the psu - thus making a negative pressure case. I think you'll get a better airflow if hole on side panel is closed (duct tape works well).

Another option you can try, and this is my preferred set up, is to eliminate both 92 mm. fans, cut fan grill on the back then put a 120 mm fan outside the case using fan adapter (depend on the size of original fan grill you can put either 80 -> 120, or 92 ->120 mm adapter. Here's how it looks like. You should also tape off all little holes in front and side thus forcing air to come in front of Hdds (cut the grill there as well if it's too restrictive). This way you will not even need an intake fan. I've done this for my son's computer which is not too different from yours except that he has only one Hdd. And I put a fanmate on that 120 mm exhaust fan as well - get a fanmate2 like the one you already have and put it outside case for easy access. With this option, I would suggest you look at different way to cablegami the ide cable there to maximize airpath. :wink:

And finally Welcome to SPCR!!!

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:11 am

Tibors wrote:Don't put a fan in the back. I don't know why the others insist on that. With a 120mm intake fan, an 80mm fan in the back would only add noise and limit the airflow.

With a case that has wide open paths for air to flow through it, you should go for either positive (i.e. intake fans) or negative (i.e. exhaust fans) pressure. Balanced airflow (i.e. intake and exhaust fans) is only usefull with restricted flow paths. Otherwise it only adds noise.

I fully agree with you.. I have 4 of the "12dB"(Image) Papsts and they do rumble.

I also agree on the positive/negative pressure thing. I went pretty far with the idea imho, removing the PSU fans and only keeping the 120mm intake at 850rpm, only to find that the PSU stays cooler without the fans :shock: THeres my case, its work in progress still, hence the rough finish. Now that i know it works, i will be building a duct for two 120mm nexus fans out of fiberglass so it sucks air from the back and blows it in at the front or bottom front of the case. http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=18622

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:04 am

peterson wrote:In Sweden Panaflo can, from my knowledge, only be bought at http://www.overclocker.se, and only the 80mm.
Dorothy, the one and only, are selling panaflos to a low price and all the swedes I camed across that have bought from her have been satisfied.

peterson

Post by peterson » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:20 am

Tibors wrote:With a case that has wide open paths for air to flow through it, you should go for either positive (i.e. intake fans) or negative (i.e. exhaust fans) pressure. Balanced airflow (i.e. intake and exhaust fans) is only usefull with restricted flow paths. Otherwise it only adds noise.

Never considered anything like positive or negative pressure. Nw i've got something to think about myself :)

And the 80mm Pabst, I may agree. I e, i'm not completely satisfied. But then again, i guess i'll never be. That's what keeps me going :)

mei

Post by mei » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:01 am

Thank you guys for all your advices. I will think of adding a fan to the back, and i will fix new pics soon

mei

Post by mei » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:34 am

Update!

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:41 am

Mei, for quieting Hdds - read/search Silent Storage forum, in particular the sticky ones.

Your case looks good for elastic suspension. :wink:

mei

Post by mei » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:19 am

ultraboy wrote:Mei, for quieting Hdds - read/search Silent Storage forum, in particular the sticky ones.

Your case looks good for elastic suspension. :wink:
I know and i have read it, but i often go to lanpartys, and if i to an example fix elastic suspension, they maybe fall out from it.

Im sorry if you can't understand me :P

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:41 pm

Well, if the hdd noise doesn't bother you there is no need, but I have a few blocks of foam lying around which I jam in between the disks and the case whenever the next LAN is up... just for transportation purposes of course. Do keep an eye on the foam when you're at the party because mine got thrown away once... had to use all sorts of laundry instead :oops: :lol:

mei

Post by mei » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:24 am

Update again :roll: