Easiest Sonata HD Suspension Yet?

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

len509

Easiest Sonata HD Suspension Yet?

Post by len509 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:09 pm

I was browsing around Home Depot for supplies I can use to mod my computer. I originally had my hard drive on some foam at the bottom of the case. But did not like the high temps it gave me, so I wanted to suspend the drive in the Sonata HD cage with its case fan mounted.

I came across a Mini Bungee Pack (8 10" cords, $2.29) that I thought I could work with. I first tried to string the cords across the cage like most people usually do. But then I tried the above simple method.

I was worried that the metal hooks on top of the drive might give off some noise vibrations. But the cord is pretty secure around the drive. And after numerous tests, it doesn't seem to have any noise effects at all. Obviously you can just lay the drive on just the bungee cord, but then it is not very secure.

There are other ways you can suspend your hard drive with these mini bungee cords and the Sonata drive cage. Maybe more people can try these and see what method works best.

miyagi

Post by miyagi » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:27 pm

pretty cool

GameManK

Post by GameManK » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:43 pm

i'm having a little trouble understanding what you did...i can only see 2 cords in the top picture. are they just wrapped around the side of the cage and thats it?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:50 am

That was one of the many things I tried on my first SLK3700BQE. It worked for a few minutes, but as the drive ran for a bit it would vibrate enough to shift the drive over to where it touched the metal drive cage. Then it went from being very quiet to sounding like someone threw a running chainsaw into the case.

Plan B was using the bottom mounting screws on the drive and some cable clamps to fasten the drive to the bungee cords. That helped, but after a while the cords themselves shifted and the drive started hitting the cage again. The problem is, the drive cage is just too narrow to pull this off very well. YMMV, IANAL, IMHO, etc. :)

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:35 am

perhaps run a bungee across it or zip tie the sides so it can't move?