Taming the TiVo

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pauli

Taming the TiVo

Post by Pauli » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:02 pm

A few weeks ago, I undertook the task of upgrading my 40GB DirecTiVo Series 2 Philips hard disk (35 hours) to a 120GB hard disk to get 107 hours of recording time. I also wanted to quiet the fan noise down from the stock 60mm fan that was exhausting at the back of the box.

So, I replaced the stock hard drive, a Maxtor Fireball 3 40GB, with a 120GB Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 that was surplus from my upgraded PC. I also removed the 60mm fan and cut a blowhole in the top of the case for a 92mm Nexus.

DirecTivo with cover off:http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/p_intag/d ... pg&.src=ph
Comments:
Only ventilation is the rear exhaust fan and a few small holes in the bottom of the case on both sides of the unit. There is no direct airflow going over the hard drive, as far as I can tell.

Original Fireball 3 drive:http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/p_intag/d ... pg&.src=ph
Comments:
I was shocked at how quiet this drive is when seeking. It is virtually inaudible hardmounted inside the unit. As far as idle whine -- there is none. How come this drive gets almost no mention on this messageboard?

Rear exhaust fan:http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/p_intag/d ... pg&.src=ph
Comments:
This fan is branded "COFAN F-625L 12F" and is rated at 0.15A and is 25mm thick. It is not the noisiest little fan that I have heard, but it isn't exactly what I would call quiet. It's noise signature is a pretty high pitch, too, which I find annoying.

Nexus 92mm fan mounted in "blowhole": http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/p_intag/d ... pg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/p_intag/d ... pg&.src=ph
Comments:
I used the instructions for cutting holes in cases in the Case Forum (sticky) using Wiss tin snips. I didn't do the greatest job, but it turned out pretty well. I used the SiliconAcoustics silicon fan mounts to attach the fan to the case. I didn't bother putting on a finger guard either because the unit is in an entertainment unit and it can't be seen or easily touched. The Nexus 92mm fan at 12V (1500RPM) is actually not all that much quieter than the 60mm fan, but it's pitch is much lower and it moves alot more air. I will probably add a Fanmate 2 to slow it down a bit in the future.

DiamondMax Plus 9 in place: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/p_intag/d ... pg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/p_intag/d ... pg&.src=ph
Comments:
Unfortunately, this drive has loud seeks. First, I tried hardmounting with Acoustic Management off, and it was way too loud, as the drive in the TiVo is constantly seeking (it is always recording the 2 live channel streams, whether shows are being recorded or not). I then turned on AAM and the seek noise was greatly reduced but still too loud for our quiet entertainment room. I then placed the drive on 3/8" Sorbothane "blocks" and only then it became acceptable. I could still hear faint seeking noise from 1 meter away, though. I have since put the drive on 1/2" Sorbathane strips (instead of 3/8" blocks) for a slight improvement. Still, its not as quiet as the hardmounted original Fireball 3 drive.

My next improvement will be to upgrade to a larger, quieter drive and to slow down the Nexus with a Fanmate 2.

ilh

Post by ilh » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:10 pm

Excellent! I will be following in your footsteps as I can now no longer stand how loud my Samsung DirecTivo is. I should be able to do a top-mounted fan like that as it is the top of a stack with a couple inches above it. Maybe I'll try a 120mm fan.

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:13 pm

Is a top mounted fan really necessary? What were your temps like with the 60mm fan? (I don't have a Tivo, so I'm not sure if there is any temp monitoring facility). My first thought (after doing a similar mod in my Xbox) would be to put an 80mm Panaflo in the back. There looks to be plenty of room widthwise, but is there enough height?

Anyway, great to see people modding other non-PC boxes, as there is always room for improvement! :wink:

ilh

Post by ilh » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:05 pm

Mine reports about 45C, although it isn't clear exactly what it is measuring.

Pauli, are you concerned that you have changed the airflow pattern? If I understand your photos, the new fan is in a significantly different area from the old. Does the PSU get the cooling it used to?

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:33 pm

pangit wrote:Is a top mounted fan really necessary? What were your temps like with the 60mm fan? (I don't have a Tivo, so I'm not sure if there is any temp monitoring facility). My first thought (after doing a similar mod in my Xbox) would be to put an 80mm Panaflo in the back. There looks to be plenty of room widthwise, but is there enough height?

Anyway, great to see people modding other non-PC boxes, as there is always room for improvement! :wink:
Well, the top is really the only place to put a larger fan. 60mm is the largest that will fit in the rear of the case -- believe me, if I could've gotten away without cutting the case up, I would have.

The temps were not a real problem with the 60mm fan when I had the original hard drive in it -- it's a 5400RPM single platter drive and doesn't get real hot. The reported temp would occasionally get up in the high 40's when the room got warm. The problem was that the replacement disk got really hot. When I was working on it after it was running for a couple of hours, the disk was friggin' hot when I touched it! Temps would occasionally get to 50C when the room was pretty cool (ambient ~18C). In summer, when the room gets very warm, that thing would be overheating without a doubt. After the blowhole and Nexus replacement, I've never seen it go over 42C. It still might get a bit warm during summer, but I at least have a little confidence in it now.

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:38 pm

ilh wrote:Mine reports about 45C, although it isn't clear exactly what it is measuring.

Pauli, are you concerned that you have changed the airflow pattern? If I understand your photos, the new fan is in a significantly different area from the old. Does the PSU get the cooling it used to?
I believe that the airflow to the PSU components is better now than before the change. The cool air is coming from the back now, right next to the PSU. With higher airflow, it should be much better and it is probably coming across it more directly. I'm still concerned that the hard drive is not getting enough air flow. I'd like to add some ventilation holes right above the drive, but punching and drilling holes in the steel case is a real pain in the butt.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Re: Taming the TiVo

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:59 am

Pauli wrote:Original Fireball 3 drive:http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/p_intag/d ... pg&.src=ph
Comments:
I was shocked at how quiet this drive is when seeking. It is virtually inaudible hardmounted inside the unit. As far as idle whine -- there is none. How come this drive gets almost no mention on this messageboard?
I've seen few, they tend to run really hot (like over 45°C hardmounted) with no airflow.

Cheers,

Jan

ilh

Post by ilh » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:05 am

I think a 2.5" 5400rpm drive would be perfect for this. If/when I get around to this project I will probably try a WD Scorpio.