Dual Head // Modded Antec p160 // XP 3200+ // 1 gb DDR 3200

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

roger_lew

Dual Head // Modded Antec p160 // XP 3200+ // 1 gb DDR 3200

Post by roger_lew » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:38 pm

Hey all!

First of all, I would like to say thanks for all of the friendly advice you never knew you gave me ;)

Secondly, I am open to any thoughts, comments, questions, suggests you might have.

Here is my slightly modified Antec p160

Castors make her easy to move.

The dolly and the fornt grill are made of walnut. My dvd-burner resides in a Kingwin enclosure on my desk (last pic).

I have a D-link 8 port 10/100 switch mounted in the inside of my case.

Up top I have these hooks to help out with wire management. The do a reasonable job of keeping the wires off the floor when I bother to use them.

Inside view: note the 10/100 switch.

View with the switch removed.

I have 2x120 gb mirrored hds up top and 560 gb (2x200 gb, 1x160gb) in storage with the 3 drives below.

Back View.

I still use ribbon cables.

My *diy* hd suspension.

My PS is an Antec EPS550 It has a fan controller built in. I would say it is as quiet as the 5volt 120mm intake fan I have in the front of this case.

The CPU cooler is a ThermalTake SonicTower. I just installed it today (which is what is prompting me to post on SPCR). The CPU is idling at over 50 Celsius (System 30). I think I will end up attaching a 5 volt 120mm fan to aid in cooling. Perhaps the CPU temp will settle done a bit when the ArticSilver has been broken in.

Any thoughts?

Yes the cables are a mess.

Here are my 2 ViewSonic E90f CRTs. They are each running 1792 x 1344 @ 60 Hz. For a budget CRT I have been impressed.

Thanks for viewing.
roger

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:24 pm

Niiiiice rig. But a ThermalTake? Come on now :p Just kidding, its nice anyway.

Pretty off topic, but why the tractors on the screen? Neat look, whatever the reason is.

roger_lew

tractor pic

Post by roger_lew » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:07 pm

he he...

The little girl in the tractor picture is my grandma when she was maybe 7 (a long time ago). The little boy is my great uncle. It is an odd choice of wallpaper.

roger

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:14 pm

Two things:

If you're good enough, run that network cable inside the case to avoid a little of the clutter. As I see it, you can do it either by drilling holes, or by tapping the individual wires on the connectors.

Also, that background, try cropping it to 3584x1344 and setting it to tiled to get it to stretch across both monitors. To avoid losing proper aspect ratio, resize it so that one of the numbers goes over and the other is exactly right, then crop it down.

roger_lew

Post by roger_lew » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:32 pm

Mar,
I definitely like the idea of running the network cable through the case but I don't think I am brave enough to solder the connectors on my motherboard (even though it is a cheap motherboard).

Thanks for the ideas,
roger

roo

Post by roo » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:40 pm

roger, pretty impressive work there!

but tell me, what do you use the 8port switch for?

roger_lew

Post by roger_lew » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:20 pm

thanx for the complement,

I don't have a wireless router yet; so I use my computer for internet connection sharing. I use the switch to connect my network media player (d-link dsm-320) and for coffee table computing.

roger