Single fan madness pt 2 - PIII HTPC

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

IsaacKuo

Single fan madness pt 2 - PIII HTPC

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:55 pm

This is a Pentium III 616mhz. The only fan in the system is the stock 120mm fan of the Fortron 300 PSU. This fan is flipped to blow at the CPU.

Exterior View - this is a classic Enlight desktop case, spray painted black. My TV and A/V equipment is all classic black. A pox on the nincompoops behind the current "silver" fashion trend!

Interior View - the tube/bubble wrap suspended hard drive is next to the front "intake". With the PSU fan feeding positive pressure into the case, this "intake" becomes an exhaust.

Closeup of a partial air guide. This guide helps funnel more air toward the CPU heatsink. The CPU heatsink is actually a VGA card GPU cooler--a Zalman ZM-80A.

This computer is quiet enough for an HTPC, but the stock Fortron 300 fan produces a definitely audible "whoosh" at closer distances. In my A/V setup, the machine is essentially silent because my Cox Cable DVR's hard drive overwhelms it. Unless I brave swapping the DVR's hard drive, there isn't any point in me making the HTPC any quieter...

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:46 pm

hi Isaac,

looking at your post your on a roll!

I was looking at the CPU heatsink and thinking it looked like the Zalman heatsink. Innovative to say the least, I would imagine it works better than most of the normal heatsinks.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:09 am

I was actually inspired by a Fin :wink: : http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10828

I described my installation and a couple potential pitfalls to watch out for here:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=11491