My ghettoish system with familiar frame

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Buzku

My ghettoish system with familiar frame

Post by Buzku » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:16 am

When I got my modern system at christmas -03 it was loud as hell. I wasn't too interested about computer hardware but I soon got inetrested. At the same time I also got interested in silencing computer. My second setup was a lot quieter: noname-ATX-case changed to Antec Sonata w/ its original PSU. I also changed my very loud Cooler Master HS to Glacialtech Silent Breeze.

When I had been using that setup for couple of months I realized how loud it still was. I modified a noname-fulltowerATX-case with my friend. We installed some dampening mat and made some 120mm holes for fans. After that the loudest component was the PSU.

I bought a new case, Super Lanboy from Antec again after using couple of months that modded fulltower. Well, that case sucked. Really sucked.

I bought Compucase's cheap case (€40). My current system is based on that case. My hw has changed a lot from christmas -03. Current system specs are:

Athlon 3000+ Winchester
Abit AV8-mobo
2x256mt 266mhz Kingston ram (soon to be changed)
Asus GF6800le (more on that later)
Seagate 7200.7 PATA 160gt
Cooler Master Real Power 450w-PSU (really quiet)

Today I got mad with the hdd-noise. It was installed to the case with rubber grommets but it resonated a lot.

This is what I did:

Very ghettoish, but it works. Hdd is also very cool.

The whole system:

You maybe noticed my Zalman w/ fan swap. I use 14db Antec fan:

VGA fan is stock and loud when running at full speed. Luckily I can mostly lower the voltage with Asus' crappy software called SmartDoctor. I am planning to change the fan into Zalman VF700.

Here is also a nightshot. I wouldn't need that glow of blue but well, I paid no extra for it.

The case fans that I use are Glacialtech Silent Blades. They make 19db noise @12v. I run the front fan @12v and the back fan @7v. They are quiet, but audible. They are installed indirectly into the case with rubber grommets.

Thats all, comments are welcome.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:52 am

Try unplugging the front fan altogether and test what happens to the temperatures (and noise).

Cheers,

Jan

Buzku

Post by Buzku » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:31 pm

Jan Kivar wrote:Try unplugging the front fan altogether and test what happens to the temperatures (and noise).

Cheers,

Jan
That would work, temps are now:

Processor: 35c
MB: 30c
PWM: 34c
Seagate 27c

Those are bit lower than usual because this computer has not been used in three days.

Anyway, I think my temps would allow your hint.

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:30 am

Yeah, in my 3700BQE I found that my temps were all around lower without that front intake fan.

majinbuu

Post by majinbuu » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:49 pm

Had the same effect here in my own 3700Bqe, the sideways drive cage is responsible for that.
I can't really see if you have room for suspending your hd with elastic in a 5.25" bay ?, for me it helped a lot and the temps are about the same.
And do you really find the coolermaster psu that quiet ?, I've heard a lot of people say that, so I was so surprised to find that Spcr found it to be to noisy in their review.

Buzku

Post by Buzku » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:09 am

I have tested the CM outside the case w/ wire trick and *I* really can't hear it from 30cm and if I put my ear very close I only hear very quiet motor noise. It may be possible that it gets louder when loaded at 450w, but my in my case the fan does _not_ ramp up, or I at least can hear that.

I quess my Seagate could get pretty warm if I decoupled it in 5.25-bay, cause I think I have got no airflow there. Maybe if I remove front fan I could force some air to get inside through the little holes between 5.25-bay covers.