Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Xarafax

9 pics of my first try to build something silent

Post by Xarafax » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:04 pm

Some specs:
AMD64 3200+ 90nm with an XP120 and a Nexus 120mm fan
ASUS A8V
Kingston HyperX 2x512MB PC3200
Antec SLK3000b with Be-Quiet Noise Absorber Kit, and the TriCool fan at low speed
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB with a Zalman ZM80D-HP and an Everflow 80mm fan
Samsung P120 200GB Sata
Nexus 4090 400W

At idle with C&Q enabled the cpu temp is 31°C and after 18 hours of Prime95 the temperature peak was 40°C, the case temp is about 30°C.

The noise is low, although its still audible from the other side of the rooms. You can hear some whine from the fans, and when I stop them with my hand you can hear a difference. I think its some noise from the HDD to. One thing thought, I always run it with the front hatch of the 3000b slightly open, when I close it completly you can definitely hear a more humming noise.

And some pics
Maybe not the best setup if you want to avoid noise but Im a bit concerned about dust...
An overview
The mighty XP120
Showing the PSU...
The HDD, I know I have to suspend it...
And the 9800Pro. I dont know what voltage the fan is running on but Im using a zalman fan mate to lower it.
Showing how the back fan is mounted, it might not look good but it was easy to fix.
Not a good photo, but you cen see that the fangrill is removed
And showing the cable management

Not much text explaining things, Im a bit lazy, and my english isn't the best. If there's anything you wonder just ask.

jamesm

Post by jamesm » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:31 pm

suspending your hard drive will make a difference. ;) I have a raptor and the SLK3000B, and suspending the drive was significant improvement over the rubber grommets.

Tiamat

Post by Tiamat » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:38 pm

nice job so far!

I would probably remove the HDD bays, the floppy drive (havent used one in 3 years), and the floppy bays. Suspend the harddrive in the 5.25" bays or buy one of those silent drive kits if you dont wanna go through the hassle of bungee cords purchasing.

GL!! Its a never ending process :D

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:30 pm

Definetly decouple the harddrive, and undervolt your fans (video card, CPU, case).

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:08 pm

You also have the option of removing the hard drive cage, putting the hard drive in the floppy drive cage, and suspending the whole floppy drive cage/hard drive assembly in the spot where the hard drive cage used to be. That is what I do, and it works great if you only have one hard drive.

L3thal

Post by L3thal » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:47 pm

Nice rig! Very similar to mine :D . Might wanna smooth out those edges around the fan grill(s) though. I find the Dremel with the cut-off wheel works best for the 3000B's back fan grill, The red (right-handed) tin-snips are too big to fit in the tight corners.

Xarafax

Post by Xarafax » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:46 am

Tiamat wrote:nice job so far!

I would probably remove the HDD bays, the floppy drive (havent used one in 3 years), and the floppy bays. Suspend the harddrive in the 5.25" bays or buy one of those silent drive kits if you dont wanna go through the hassle of bungee cords purchasing.

GL!! Its a never ending process :D
I've used the floppy quite a lot recently, patching BIOS and so forth. Every computer geek got to have a floppy. :P And I got some plans for the suspension.

I might fix it tomorrow and I'll put up some more pix of it then.
Shadowknight wrote:Definetly decouple the harddrive, and undervolt your fans (video card, CPU, case).
Well most of the fans is. The TriCool fan is at the low speed setting and the voltage for the 80mm is lowered by a zalman fan mate. Then its just the PSU fan and the nexus left. Do you really need to lower the voltage for the nexus?
L3thal wrote:Nice rig! Very similar to mine :D . Might wanna smooth out those edges around the fan grill(s) though. I find the Dremel with the cut-off wheel works best for the 3000B's back fan grill, The red (right-handed) tin-snips are too big to fit in the tight corners.
I don't got a dremel, and I used this
to cut it out. Its very hard to make it smooth with that. :)

jamesm

Post by jamesm » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:55 am

there are 4 or more holes under the floppy drive cage. With some screws and washers, you can attach 4 bungee cords to suspend the hard drive. If you want, I can post some pictures.