A "quiet" LianLi

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

EvilNick

A "quiet" LianLi

Post by EvilNick » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:41 am

Hi all, I'm new to SPCR although I've been lurking around here for some time. I've had my rig for quite some time, but my effort at reducing the noise level has only started recently. Here it is:

The usual stuff here, cable-gami to the HDD and DVD+RW. Removed HDD rack so that airflow from intake is less restricted. I tried to reduce clutter by "minimizing" my PSU. Meaning: I cut off all floppy connectors, 6pin legacy connector and the fan monitor wire, so my PSU is left with mobo connectors and molexes.

Round the rear, it's pretty empty. Can't really make use of the space behind mobo tray unless a hole is cut at the top near the PSU. And I don't have the skills to do so. :lol:

Rigged up HDD suspension for my WD800JB using some elastic cord (meant to be used in pants :?). It helped greatly with reducing vibration noise, but this WD800JB of mine is really noisy even with this setup.

Cooling:
Front Intake: Panaflo H1 120x38 @ 5V
Rear Exhaust: Panaflo L1 80x25 @ 12V
Blowhole: Panaflo L1 80x25 @ 5V
XP-120: Delta EFB1212VH @ 5V
NB-1: Passive

Noise wise, the Panaflo at the rear is still audible, might try it at 5V if it doesn't hurt temps too much. Enlight 420W makes abit of noise with its dual Superred 80mms, but it's not too bad. The other greatest source of noise is the HDD, but it was far worse when it was down front near the intake. :x

My rig definitely ain't silent, but it is quiet enough. :) For now.

toNka

Post by toNka » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:33 am

The obsession begins...

WELCOME TO SPCR

EvilNick

Post by EvilNick » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:41 pm

Lol, thanks!

I'm already thinking of moving the HDD down to a piece of foam on the rear bottom where cooling might be better.

Problem with the pursuit of silence here in Malaysia is that stuff like Panaflos, Nexus' and other popular stuff is not really available at all. :(

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:16 am

Nice case there. Is it a Lian Li PC7 Plus?

Have you tried suspending HDD below the drive cage so it gets cool air from front fan.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:01 am

Hi Nick, you can get Nexus fans in Singapore from Advance PC in Sim Lim Square. I got some last year while I was on holiday, and it was worth the effort. Good luck with your new found obsession!

EvilNick

Post by EvilNick » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:06 am

ultraboy: It's a PC-61 Plus. I did think of suspending it in front of the intake fan, but I'm abit of a neat freak and I'm still thinking of a way to do that without getting the IDE cables and molexes all messy. :lol:

alleycat: Hrm, maybe it's time to take a bus down there, or get a friend to post me some. :lol:

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:37 am

EvilNick wrote:ultraboy: It's a PC-61 Plus...
Cool :) . It seems your case come with 80mm rear fan, similar to what I see in Thailand for 'Plus' series. In North America and Europe the 'Plus' comes with 120mm rear fan. :?:

EvilNick

Post by EvilNick » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:47 am

Yeap, European versions of the PC7-Plus and PC60-Plus have 120mm rear exhausts. :( I don't see why they couldn't do the same for the Asian region. But ah well, a 80mm L1A isn't too bad for the rear, hehe.