A South African's First Quiet Build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xenithon

A South African's First Quiet Build

Post by xenithon » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:27 am

Hey Guys. This is a little pictorial of my newly built quiet machine. Silent computing aint very big here in SA, most people go mainstream and overclock their beasts as much as possible. My previous build had a true 747 engine like acoustic signature :p running a Thermaltake Venus 12 CPU cooler, and 4 high-noise 80mm fans controlled by a fan controller.

My new build came about when changing cases to something more solidly built, and a new desire for noise-free computing. There are the components:

Antec SLK3000B with TP-II 380 PSU
Asus K8V motherboard
512MB x 2 Corsair RAM
AC Freezer 64 (imported)
Nexus 120mm fans x 2 (imported; one rear one front)
Seagate Baraccuda HDD
Gigabyte Geforce 6600GT AGP with Zalman VF700
Asus QuieTrack CDRW/DVD Combo

Silencing details:
- the Freezer 64 is set to around 60%. At this level it is inaudible and cools very well. Along with CnQ enabled, my processor idles at 28, loads at around 40.
- the Nexus fans are fantasticly quiet, bought on the good reputation it has attained here at SPCR. There is a bit of wind noise from the rear fan but very low levels exist. This can be fixed by cutting out the grill which I DON'T plan to do ;) or by reducing the speed of the fan using a Fanmate or Speedfan.
- the VF700 at 5V is inaudible with the case closed and keeps the card chilled at 42 degrees, loaded at around 50.
- the FDD and its cage have been removed, as well as the HDD cage. This allows for more room and improved airflow.
- the HDD is mounted on the metal piece protruding from the bottom of the chassis, where the cage normally attaches to. I have a layer of packing foam, followed by two strips of sorbothane (imported) followed by the HDD itself

Other slight mods include:
- taped up all air holes in the front panel using masking tape to prevent dust intrusion.
- will be putting on a thin layer of acoustic foam on the side panel which will simultaneously cover the VGA/CPU duct grilles. This is because I do not need them, and the CPU duct had to be taken off anyway (too big to allow the case to close!)
- all cables have been managed using spiral wrap. This is the best stuff on earth! IMO it is much better than braided sleeving because it was quick and easy to apply; it looks pretty good (case is closed in anycase!) and it allows the cable to be bent into positions and it keeps its shape! Plus it doesn't tear like sleeving, and did not require molex removal.
- I used 6mm spiral wrap for almost all the cables except the bunch of cables which I don't use. These are bunched together with 10mm wrap and taken behing the motherboard panel, taped into position (see pictures).
- cables ties are also used quite a lot in order to keep cables in fixed positions.
- the two 120mm fans are mounted using the Vantec anti-vibration kit (with the Antec purple fan holders obviously removed). Testing with the fans off reveal that they are silent, other than the slight exhaust wind noise
- the PSU fan is very quiet too. It idles at around 750 RPM, and I have yet to see it go over 1000RPM.

Well, onto the pics! Enjoy and all suggestions/comments welcome! Thanks again to everyone here for your advice and suggestions.

1. the cables spiral wrapped and PSU installed.

2. an angled view of the case internals

3. the back panel with excess cables spiral-wrapepd and taped down

4. a head-on view of the insides of the case

Cheers,
X

NoizEnvader

Post by NoizEnvader » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:02 am

Nice & clean, but still too many fans in there for my liking.

Passive rules, only problem is that on those hot summer days, I have to turn on the fans. Getting the Reserator 1 Plus this summer.
No more underclocking to keep cool & quiet. :lol:

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:06 am

Hey There. Ideally I would have gone for an XP-120 sans fan, but alas it won't fit my motherboard :twisted: . I also thought about going for something like the Reserator but was weary of a) water in the system and b) the cost.

BTW, where do you plan to get the Reserator from?

NoizEnvader

Post by NoizEnvader » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:23 am

As of last week, the new Reserator1 Plus , is now localy availible. I know http://www.sybaritic.co.za/ has it for R2221.00 but I'll be getting it from the suppliers.

The Antec P180 and Phantom 500 is also availible in SA now. Me thinks it's time for upgrade again.

Where did you import those Nexus 120 mm fans from?