my quiet rig - 5 fans, reliable 1 and half year work

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silencio_777
-- Vendor --

my quiet rig - 5 fans, reliable 1 and half year work

Post by silencio_777 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:54 pm

Hello dear community,

still quiet around silencio_777, no special offers at the moment (Globes and more Loonies are ordered), so I want to care for my customers and stay in contact with something non commercial, very private ... my rig :D

ImageImage

At the left side on the top you see my "fan test tool", so all fans you get from me are starting at 5V and are ok! The case is a no name with some modds. I like it, because it is a good functional quality.

If the rig is to quiet, the small black box at the foreground (right picture) gives some harmonic noise from my mp3 collection. In the background you see one case modd for my XP-M 2400 CPU. The fan (D90SL-12 Yate Loon) on my Swifttec heatsink runs with 5V, so nice for the CPU to take some cold, fresh air from outside.

ImageImage

Now take a look inside:

ImageImage

The hole on the bottom is 12 cm so all components can get some fresh air. The 2 long cables in the foreground are for my new cardreader, still short cables by default, so I give some sleeving. The blue dammp mats are from be quiet.

The HDD is a Samsung 160 GB with 5400 rpm silenced with a Zalman cooling and decopling combination (ZM-2HC2), exact the older version.
Because I love my data I give some extra active cooling by one D90SL-12 @ 5V more (picture below).

On the roof I've made a hole for imagine some advantages with, but I'm not sure about. There you see the third 92 Loonie @ 5V.

The last Loonie works at the back, of course with 5V, too.

Ok, final picture for a small nice modd and then the facts.

I hope by this way to become more fresh air inside.

Now the facts:

CPU AMD 2400+ XP-M
VGA 6200 nVidia Asus
HDD SV1604N
MOBO ASUS A7V8X-X
RAM 1 GB Infinion (2x512)
PSU Seasonic S12 420
DVD Plextor 52x silenced by software tool

Power consumption:

off: 1,8 W
idle: 78 W up to 82 W
Load: 95 W up to 105 W

Temperatures:

CPU: between 32°C and 40°C idle / Load 46°C up to 51°C
Mobo: 28°C up to 34°C (both infos read out by Asus Probe on different room temps)

Hm, what do you think about my rig? I can say that the PSU is the loudest in it, and I don't know more things to do for silence at the monent. Give me some inspiration! :wink:

Sincerely and a good airflow to all

silencio_777

teutonritter

Post by teutonritter » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:14 pm

Hm... maybe you could remove the fan grill on the Seasonic? Or maybe you could mount the fan on the outside of the PSU instead of inside. I've never tried this myself, but folks 'round here say it'll reduce wind turbulence. Nice system.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:45 pm

Hi George,

I couldn't make out from the pictures if you have your HDDs in 3,5" drive bay or are you using some sort of 5,25" enclosure?

What if I told you that you could probably run your rig with just the Seasonic's fan? If you tape up the top blowhole and the rear exhaust hole, place your HDD(s) on top of the hole in the case front and open up one PCI plate under your graphics card? The air would be sucked in a bit below the graphics card, some from the CPU duct and some from the front of the case?

I think this would raise your temps a bit, but if the temps would be too high, you could always add an exhaust fan running at 5V to the top hole or the rear exhaust hole?

Although, to be honest, running Yate Loons at 5V doesn't make too much noise. But I really think you could remove the top and rear fans, tape up the holes and still have almost same temps. These are just variations of the same idea, but the basic concept behind it is, that you should try to take full advantage of the PSU fan and the air it sucks to remove some fans.

But to note, I'm not really sure on the final noise drop, as the PSU fan would probably speed up a bit, so it might be the airflow noise would stay the same. I also understand you use the computer to run your store, so I think system stability and low temps (HDD) are the main issue.

Damn, I'm just rambling away...:oops: Anyway, a nice looking rig! :)