HTP2C Part II Buildup

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ST

HTP2C Part II Buildup

Post by ST » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:01 am

After my first attempt at a quiet(er) Home Theatre Performance PC, I've gone back and made a few changes including:

1) Removed TT Big Typhoon for a Scythe Ninja HSF w/ YL fan. This helps with the airflow from front to rear.

2) Removed the TT iCage HDD mounts for a home made elastic chord HDD suspension setup. This incorporates a Scythe Kama Bay front HDD 120mm fan (YL again).

3) Replaced old PS w/ a newer Silverstone Element PSU based on the Enhance 80+ unit and mounted it externally as well, w/ a Panaflo 120mm fan (this will be replaced with a YL also). I found out my PSU was one of hottest components in the system directly contributing to more stale ambient air.

Note: bottom intake fan is actually not operational and will be removed, as will the AC silencer on the 7900gt for a completely passive hsf. I'm also working on a CPU ducting solution soon. All fans are directly controlled via Speedfan for further noise reduction.

toNka

Post by toNka » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:38 pm

Looking good ST!
Glad to see you went with a Ninja.
It took me forever to convert to a Ninja, boy I'm glad I did.
Suspending those HDDs kills alot of noise.
Your setup is probably quieter then you ever thought possible now.
Too bad it's never quiet enough... ;)

shimq1

Post by shimq1 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Does suspending the hard drives just reduce seek noise or does it also reduce the ambient noise of the drive?