Semi-Passive AM2 Rig

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

InMused

Semi-Passive AM2 Rig

Post by InMused » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:29 pm

This is my first quiet rig. Once upon a time I was into loud and shinny (see here), now I am sick of working next to a wind tunnel. Bring on SPCR. I have spent week trolling SPCR and here is the result. Over all I am not completely happy with it, still needs some tweaks and a replacement for the Tri-Cool fan. Following is the finished (maybe) product, the specs and tests followed by the build.

System
Antec P150
Asus MPNPV-VM Socket AM2/nVidia 6150/nForce 430
AMD Sempron 3600+
Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200.9

Cooling
Thermaltake HR-01 with modded bracket for AM2 running passively
Nexus Silent on exhaust with hardwired Fanmate 2
Antec Tri-Cool founted on a "custom" soft mount frame for internal flow
Aluminum divide between PSU and System zones

Temps and Tests

I undertook 4 idle tests and 3 load tests to identify the best fan speed combination for normal use (net, office and music). Prime95 was used for load tests (In place large FFT’s) until the peak temp stabilized plus three minutes. Cool and quiet enabled. Ambient was 18C constant.

Idle - Both fans 5v Case 23 CPU 31
Idle - Both fans 12v Case 23 CPU 25
Idle - Internal 5v Exhaust 12v Case 26 CPU 21
Idle - Internal off Exhaust 7v Case 25 CPU 22

Load – Both 5v Case 31 CPU 55
Load - Internal 5v Exhaust 12v Case 27 CPU 39
Load - Internal off Exhaust 7v Case 28 CPU 43

Current working stats (MS Word and Firefox with steaming audio) – Both 5v Case 28 CPU 37

Noise
I haven’t heard the PSU ramp up yet, I can’t hear the Exhaust and I can just hear some bearing noise from the tri-cool (it’s days are numbered). I get occasional rattle from the HD. It is certainly quieter that my wife’s Laptop in the same room and it is streets away from my old machine (which I intend to silence also).

Build
The P150 was a joy to work with though it did get a little tight at times and the PSU and bezel cables are very long (the modular PSU wiring made up to that). I struck a few problems during the build that tool a little creative thinking. Always fun.

Mobo and the HR-01
AM2 HS mounting brackets lack the three hooks of the socket 939 boards. While the mounting clip for the HR-01 still fits, because it attaches only to one hook it tends to slide with applying pressure with the counter lever. Thank God for zip ties. The left image is the unmodified clip. The left images is the fixed job.
ImageImage

Zone Divide

I was after something a little different to the common (yet effective) PSU duct, so I chose to divide the zones completely using a sheet of aluminum. It seams to be quite effective. The temp on the System zone is around 3-4 degrees hotter than the PSU zone during normal use.
ImageImageImage
The finished fabrication and two views. A soft rubber sheet was placed between the PSU and the divide to reduce vibrations. I am not completely happy with the PSU mounting yet. The divide is adhered to the cross beam using foam adhesive pads.

Fan mountings
I was originally going to mount the Tri-Cool on a Sunbeam Anywhere Frame to blow up through the HR-01 but there was not enough Clarence next to the Exhaust fan. Additionally the slots on the frame for mounting fans do not line up with standard fan screw holes on either the Tri-Cool or the Nexus. Here’s the fix.
I used an unused drive sled as a mount for a horizontally placed fan at the bottom of the case. With only a low profile Wireless NIC and no GPU card the idea was to assist vertical airflow though the HR-01. The Fan rests on silicon grommets fashioned from Antec HD mounting grommets (red circles in the pic). The whole assemble is held together with Antec drive suspension bands and I used foam strips for feet. There is about an inch of Clarence under the fan. It's efectiveness us up for debate.

The exhaust fan is mounted using butchered Antec HD grommets and elastic . Works well.

There are a few little tasks still tom complete but it booted first time so I am happy....And it is so quiet compared to my old machine.

Blessings
Glen

toyotacamry

Post by toyotacamry » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:38 am

Very nice, I like how you did the zone divide. Are rubber grommets on all your fans?

The setup looks pretty clean. Goodjob :P

Bobfantastic

Post by Bobfantastic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:46 am

I'll second that, it's nice.
Just by the by, who's Clarence? :P
And how did he fit into your PC :?:

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:32 pm

Please read more carefully, Bob. "There was not enough Clarence..."

Sorry, InMused.

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:00 pm

Looks like the HR01 wont fit sideways...

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:56 pm

Nice setup.

My only advice would be to suspend the fan in the bottom above and slightly to the left of the HDD, pointing at an angle to the CPU heatsink, this should cool you HDD much more, your CPU a little, and might make a little less noise as the fan will have far more "Clarence" ;) and as such wont struggle, or make as much whooshing noise, as it will be free from confinement (unlike "Clarence").

Some years ago, I used to suspended fans using garden string, it works wonders, considering what you have achieved this should not be a problem for you.

Andy

Sorry, I couldnt resist 2 "Clarence" jokes :)

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:05 pm

Doesn't the HR-01 have a thingy where you can move the heatsink around so it can be positioned better?

Also do you think, from your using, that it would work on a de-lidded am2?

roo

Post by roo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:09 am

wow that cpu heatsink is *big*, how much does it weigh?