Silverstone + Core 2 Duo + Ninja + HD Silencer

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silver-silencer

Silverstone + Core 2 Duo + Ninja + HD Silencer

Post by silver-silencer » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:17 pm

First of all I want to apologize for my bad English (My native language is Dutch).
After a couple of medium loud/loud builds I considered the recent upgrade of my all-round rig a great change to finally deal with all the unnecessary noise. I carefully chose components to make the system as quiet as possible. I hope you like it. Maybe you guys can give me advice on how to make it even quieter.
Let’s take a look at what’s inside :D

Hardware:

--Asus P5W DH Deluxe
-Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 @ 2,7 Ghz
-OCZ DDR2 800Mhz Platinum XTC 2 x 1024MB 4, 4, 4, 15
-Saphire Radeon X1800XT 512 MB @ 700 /800
-2x Maxtor Diamondmax 10 S-ATA 200GB RAID 0 on ICH7R
-Silverstone Midi Tower TJ04 ATX
-Huntkey LW-6400H 450Watt *
-Plextor PX712A DVD-R

*Yes sounds bad, but it‘s perfectly stable and quieter then the Tagan I used before. (And it‘s not overheating)

Cooling:

-Scythe Ninja Heatsink
-Intake: Sharkoon SilentEagle 1000 120mm @ Q-fan (800 rpm)
-Outtake: Sharkoon SilentEagle 1000 120mm @ Q-fan (700 rpm)
-Scythe 120mm @ 5v (powersupply)
- Artic Accelero X2
-2x Silentmaxx HD Silencer 2.0

Desktop:
-2 x Viewsonic VX2025WM
-Logitech UltraX
-Logitech Click! Plus

Pics

s_xero

Post by s_xero » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:33 pm

Dude - desktop looks nice (alhoewel ik zelf een 22" CRT heb....:D)

De HDD-coolers zijn een beetje overkill (of de fan :) ). Verder best wel stoere build, alhoewel zou een seasonic PSU (a la 430W - de stilste) het geluidsniveau ongetwijfeld omlaag brengen..

And I'm DUTCH too

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:26 pm

Nice setup. Was wondering though, would you mind posting temps? Specifically for the cpu. Curious how the Ninja handles the C2D at that speed with no fan as I'm looking at a 6400 or 6600 OCed a little. Thanks!

sanse

Post by sanse » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:03 am

great rig.

i'm also very curious about the the temps with this new intel cpu.

and i think i would mount both hdd's on their small sides perpendicular to each other just after the front fan.

silver-silencer

Post by silver-silencer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:59 am

@ s_xero

Hey :D

Dank u. HDD Silencers bedoel je :wink: Het is puur en alleen voor het geluid. De fan is voor algemene intake en voor de Voltage regulatoren van de x1800XT, misschien kan de rpm wel nog wat omlaag naar 500 ofzo.

Wat betreft voeding: Hij is niet standaard dus. Scythe fan op 5v erin op 700 rpm schat ik, mischien minder. Waarschijnlijk nog een stukje stiller dan de Seasonic. En uiteraard getest met dual-prime en oblivion en het werd niet te warm, en voltages mooi stabiel.

@ mbetea

Thanks, case closed with SP2004 orthos (dual-prime) the cpu heats up to 55 C and it idles at 35.

@ Sanse

Wouldn't that block the airflow to the x1800XT. The front fan is mainly for cooling down the voltage regulators of the x1800XT and general air intake. The HDD Silencers are for noise reduction only as they don't improve temperatures that much.

sanse

Post by sanse » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:59 am

silver-silencer wrote:@ Sanse

Wouldn't that block the airflow to the x1800XT. The front fan is mainly for cooling down the voltage regulators of the x1800XT and general air intake. The HDD Silencers are for noise reduction only as they don't improve temperatures that much.
my idea was to give some of that cooling of the frontfan to the hdd's, cause those silencers tend to heat things up a bit. there might still be some air left for the x1800xt after that.

and it would free up your pci-slots again.

what are the temps of the hdds's during hot (+35c) weather like we had in july?

Woodykak
-- Vendor --

Post by Woodykak » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:12 am

I completely agree with placing the HD's in front of the intake fan. Question that I have for the group is; is there any reason that you couldn't turn the exaust fan around, and aim it at the Ninja? Or has anybody done a shroud from the CPU cooler to the exaust fan?

How quiet are the HD's running? Are they much quieter than if suspended?

silver-silencer

Post by silver-silencer » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:26 am

Ok I there have been a few changes to my rig as described before. I picked up a MSI Geforce 7900GTO :P . It fits very nicely into the idea of a silent low-power gaming machine. I have it running at 700 / 800 at the moment (the same as the x1800XT) and it is a little faster and a lot cooler. It doesn't even hit 60 degrees under full load :D

Second thing is: I also ordered a Seasonic S12 500 (the 430 was no longer available) but I am not happy with the thing at al. It makes a very loud buzzing noise and the fan is louder then I aspected. Its much louder then the Huntkey with the fan @ 5v. And also it is getting even hotter then the huntkey under load and idle. Therefore my CPU and case temp also raises somewhat beyond the previous configuration with the S12 installed.

The S12 is being shipped back to the shop next week... I think I'll just keep the Huntkey powering the rig for a while. I don't see any decend alternative air-cooled PSU's now the Seasonic appears to be to loud :(

Going passive isn't an option either I suppose because it whill heat up the CPU area to much.

But my rig is very quiet at the moment and that's a good thing.

(I wil post an updated photo soon)

andaca

Post by andaca » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:25 pm

Scythe 120mm @ 5v (powersupply) DANGER :shock:

if you are gaming, you should increase the speed ( fanmate)

silver-silencer

Post by silver-silencer » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:30 am

No the powersupply is working just fine :) When I used the x1800XT, I tested the system under full load to see how hot the powersupply would get. Surprisingly it was staying relativly cool. Much cooler then my Tagan U1-480 on the same system.

I used the scythe fan for a while but know changed it back to the original fan @ 5v because that is even more silent and it moves a little bit more air. Know that I am using the 7900GTO the powersupply stays almost cold at all times. So I'm pretty happy with that thing as it is know both very silent, very cheap and it doesn't get hot at all. And the voltages I get are also about as good as those from the Seasonic and maybe even a little better then the Tagan.

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:22 am

I must say I have similar plans but a couple of changes on my own system :)

How does the Sharkoon SilentEagle 1000 120mm sound?
Are they really dead silent and still moving much air? If you compared them to a nexus 120mm silent fans, if youve tried one of those which one would be more silent?