So after a lot of fumbling around with several components, I managed to finish my build in late February last year. (been busy since then, so no post yet ahah) It started with what used to house my old athlon xp, a red chenming 601. Then it slowly evolved with 80mm Panaflo fans, then came the 5v switches, the HDD on foam and the addition of a Zalman 7000 al-cu heatsink and and vf700 to cool the GeForce 6600â€¦and then it was noisy againâ€¦. You know the storyâ€¦
The next dilema was, should I buy a new case, a P180 for instance or sould I get the tools out and mod the Chenming? Of course the later option was chosen and then the built beganâ€¦ but then components problems came in
First list of hardware ordered at the end of August 2005:
Goal : Overclocked and silent mid range gaming pc
DFI nf4 UT motherboard
Athlon XP 3200+
OCZ 2GB platiniun
WD 200GB hdd
Seasonic S12 500 psâ€¦.
And thenâ€¦. Incompatibility issues with the mobo and the PSU, wasnâ€™t able to post at all. After a quick search on the web, I was not alone and people were switching to Enermax PSU and keeping their DFIâ€¦ no thanksâ€¦
In the meanwhile, ASUS came up with the A8N sli deluxe with passive cooling boardâ€¦, I tought good choice! Got it, plugged everything in there, and poof, the harddrive litterally came up in smoke!!!! (Actually my old one and the new oneâ€¦so down the drain all the dataâ€¦great..)
And to cut the story short, I took the following list of RMA
- 3 Mobo (1 DFI, 2 ASUS but maybe those were goodâ€¦)
- 1 PSU (the 5v line of my first S12-500 was faulty , you see where Iâ€™am goingâ€¦)
- 1 HDD
- 1 keyboard and mouseâ€¦. (USB runs on 5V right? â€¦ahaha this one was funny)
- dvd player
- and the CPU which we forgot to test between a few RMA, the earlier test suggesting the 3200 was still aliveâ€¦.but it was not, so thatâ€™s why I believe the second Asus was good, the first was DOA, verified with another systemâ€¦)
So the final specs are:
- Asus sli premium
- Athlon 3800 + (thanks AMD)
- Seasonic S12-500
- 2 WD 200gb in raid-0
- Ati X800XL with AC silencer
- Logitech MX 700
- Zalman fan controller
- 3 CM 120mm fansâ€¦
Wait are we talking about 120mm fans in an early Chenming 601 case??â€¦ oh yes !
Ok Iâ€™ll just show you pictures of the buildâ€¦ youâ€™ll see a SilenX fan in the pictures, donâ€™t worry folks, heâ€™s now deep in a box away from the computerâ€¦wanted to try something, wish I bought a Nexusâ€¦but then 30$ can for a fan, never again, same thing for the vantec sleeving and ditto for cathodes (too much heat IMO).
Pretty straight forward modifications, cut, mesure, cut again (but this time circles..lol), rivet the plates and put some egg shell foam to isolate all thisâ€¦. I know thereâ€™s a window and foam will be kinda uselessâ€¦well if itâ€™s only from an esthetic point of view, Iâ€™t nice.
The HDD cage took longer than the case to build. It was my first time building something out of metal, aluminium was used here, and I wanted to have all corners perfect. Well they were not, but the srews holding the alu bars helped into levelling all that.
Hereâ€™s the material listing used for the cage :
36 x Â½ in aluminium bar
48 x 1in. L shape alu bar
4 x S shape hooks
12 x 1 Â¼ rubber o-rings
12 x plastic wire clamps
Box of stainless steel srewsâ€¦ 3/8 in length if I do rememberâ€¦
The sketch was in my mind and inspiration came from Stefanâ€™s and EndoSteelâ€™s own cages.
So 14 months later, what do I think?
- the AC silencerâ€™s fan didnâ€™t like my multi % fan speed setup and diedâ€¦ with ati tools, it was much quieter than the zalman 700 for the 6600 and now the stock vga cooler is back @ 15% and idles a 45oC. It will raise to 55oC if Iâ€™m gaming, but then I raise the intake fans. Gaming noise > computer noise. Future : AC will come back in after rma (6 years waranty..)
- the rubber rings are starting to wear out. Iâ€™ll replace those with something that has better resistance to heat and wind (lol moving airâ€¦)
- the cpu hs, 7000 al cu, was still too noisy when on the lowest setting on the fan controllerâ€¦. Well I plugged a fanmate in between the fc and the hsâ€¦ very silent but temps are a bit higher.
- cooler master led fans are suprisingly silentâ€¦for the price 9$ each cnd . Well if we make a chart of silence / $, they will be high, but maybe the Yate loons will top them (next project..)
They do make a bit of noise when itâ€™s utter silence in the flat, but then the silence madness has to stop somewhereâ€¦
- Approx temps goes like that :
CPU stock : idle /load = 31 / 40 (2400 mhz, 200fsb)
mild OC = 35/45 (2640mhz, 220 fsb)
current OC = 35/52 (2520mhz, 240 fsb)
max OC = 37/55 (2700mhz, 256 fsb) (Vcore limitedâ€¦grrrr)
Chipset : in between 32 and 37 depending on the overclock. But I suspect itâ€™s wrong, I came down from max OC, cus I wasnâ€™t able to keep my finger on the chipset heatskink (the one on top of the die) and the HS after the heatpipe was barely warm and the pipe itself was cool. I didnâ€™t had my temp gun so Iâ€™m not able to put some real numbers to the equation.
HDD : no more than 35oC under full load (temp taken with temp gun under the hdd)
Most annoying noise : speakers on with no musicâ€¦buzzzing (altec lansing 601)
Future plans :
- will finally get a Scythe Ninja to go passive.
- plans of ducting the ninja and fan it for OC and off for browsing
- ducting the lower part of the case. Video card is flush with the hdd rack, weâ€™ll see.
Future project :
- same system in a muffled (like very very muffled) P180(or successor) with a new gen graphic card (waiting on cooling solutions / and evolutions to decide)
So long post I know, but hey I just love silent computing and I just wouldâ€™nt be there if it wasnâ€™t for SPCR and all of you guys who brings nice silencing solutions!!
Commentaires et suggestions bienvenus!!
Merci a tous!!