My new computer

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alexrule123

My new computer

Post by alexrule123 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:42 am

Since this is my first time posting here, i thought i would share with you my computer. I hope you like it.
Right now the aquarium close to it is louder than it is

I know i need to clean up the wires, they are a mess :D

Specs:
Intel Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz
MSI - PM8M3-V motherboard
200 Gb Maxtor HDD
80 GB Seagate 7200.9 HDD
Radeon x800 pro
1 GB Ram
Rosewill Powersupply

The first thing that had to go was the stock intel cooler, since everytime anything cpu intensive was going on it would ramp up to full speed.

I replaced it with an Arctic Cooler Alpine 7. I lapped it and used acrtic silver and my cpu temp at idle is around 35 degrees celsius. Unless i am right next to the fan i can't hear it. the fan in the rear is not hooked up, i just haven't taken it out yet.

I suspended the harddrives by using some rubber strips from a bungie cord, which has almost elimimated the sounds of the harddrives. The only thing that you can hear is when it is seeking (which i will be working on soon)

i then cut holes in the front to allow for airflow to cool the drives

The fan that came with my video card was starting to make a lot of weird clicking noises so i decided to replace it. So i replaced it with a heatsink from a socket 478 pentium 4. It does the job nicely, but it needs to have a fan on it just for a little airflow or else the temperature starts working its way up. With the fan the idle temp is 30 degrees celsius which is a big improvement from the 55 - 60 degrees stock.
with fan installed
Last edited by alexrule123 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

alexrule123

Re: My new computer

Post by alexrule123 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:45 am

i hit quote instead of edit :lol:

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:20 am

its nice, the only thing i would do is put a filter by the HDDs, i wouldn't want that much dust one them ever, if it goes long enough the dust will make the extra cooling useless.

also, what did you use to keep the heatsink on the graphics card? i have an older card that i bought a stick on heatsink for because it doesnt run hot, but i don't need it dying on me.

it looks good other than that..the cables could use a makeover...the only system where my cables are sane is my server, and i don't even use it much, so go figure.

i'd remove that rear fan if you arent going to use it soon, fan blades will trap heat no matter which direction they're pointed...i almost lost a graphics card when i forgot to plug the fan in, an exhaust area isn't that much different.

you might even try to find little ram heatsinks for graphics cards and stick those on the card, that may help cooling.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:41 am

bonestonne wrote: also, what did you use to keep the heatsink on the graphics card?
From looking at the top of the card it looks like he drilled holes into the heatsink and mounted it with nuts/bolts.
it looks good other than that..the cables could use a makeover...
Agreed. Some cable management needed.

alexrule123

Post by alexrule123 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:23 am

Amourek wrote: also, what did you use to keep the heatsink on the graphics card?

it looks good other than that..the cables could use a makeover...
i drilled holes in the heatsink and used a tap to create the threads. I needed that big of a heatsink because the video card is a radeon x800pro, not top of the line but it still puts out some heat.

Yes, i know i need to clean up the cables they are a mess. you should see how clean my old computer was.
here is a pic of it, the cardboard on the back was a duct for the power supply to quiet it down.

alexrule123

Post by alexrule123 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:12 pm

Here is an update of the case, i spent a few min to clean up the wires some. It still looks like a mess to me, but there is not really anything else i can do to clean it up.