Intel E6600 / Asus P5B Dlx / Antec P150

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Intel E6600 / Asus P5B Dlx / Antec P150

Post by ultrachrome » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:10 pm

Here's my first Intel system in 10 years.

...seen one, seen 'em all.

Asus P5B Deluxe Rev. 1.03G
Intel C2D E6600
Thermalright HR-01-775 w/ bolt-through kit
Patriot DDR2 800 / 4-4-4-12 / 2GB (PDC22G6400LLK)
eVGA 7900GT 256MB KO Superclocked w/ VF900-CU and fanmate2
Samsung SP2504C 250GB SATA
Samsung SH-S183L SATA DVD burner
Antec P150 / NeoHE 430

Case fan is a JMC 1225-12LB PWM using the Thermalright duct to cool the HR-01. The HR-01's base wasn't very flat so I did a quick lapping job. When I've bothered to look, SpeedFan reports fan spinning at 640rpm.

Installed XP Pro SP2 without issue and flashed BIOS from 0507 to 1004 using the built in flash utility. This is a nice feature as I hate dealing with floppies and silly looking windows based flash utilities. The only BIOS settings I've changed were to set boot priority and the fan control to silent mode.

My TAT temps range from low 20's idle to 40 running Orthos blend.

So far my experience has been positive although there are some rough edges that need to be dealt with.

First, the NeoHE is making more noise than I think it should. The NeoHE in my other P150 loaded with an Opteron 175 at stock voltage with 4x512MB, two HDDs, two optical drives, and the 7900GT KO is much quieter, in fact it was quieter than the S12-380 I had in the Sonata it replaced. My Kill A Watt is currently reading 117W with boot up peaking at 150W.

I do have the S12-380 laying around but I will miss the NeoHE's modular cables and do not relish having to remove the the motherboard at the moment. I really wish Antec would use screws on the top to facilitate easy PSU swapping.

The JMC fan is relatively quiet but there is a slight rattling sound thats evident. However, at the moment it's not audible from my current seating position thanks to the noisy NeoHE.

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:13 pm

Decided to clean up some cabling and ended up tearing the whole machine apart.

First I ran the 24pin cable behind the motherboard tray and drive cage. I went ahead and rolled over the metal edge to ensure there wouldn't be any cable damage.

Next thing I knew I was fashioning a Kama Bay out of some aluminum mesh I had laying around.
ImageImage
The foam is about a 3/8" thick and typically available at motorcycle dealers.

I then decided I wanted to remove the ASUS logo plate that covered the NB heatsink. I ended up breaking the bond so I pulled the motherboard, removed the goopy TIM on the NB and reinstalled the heatsink with AS5. Doesn't seem to be worth the effort. My System temp dropped 1C at idle.

Since I had everything apart I decided to do a fan swap on my VF900. I removed the fan and fashioned a bracket from one of the metal plates that covers the two middle bays and used it to mount a 92mm Nexus.
ImageImage
The results were very positive. With rthdribl the GPU only reaches 55C and the GPU is now effectively silent. However, while running rthdribl, the NeoHE starts buzzing lightly.

A final shot of the interior:

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:20 pm

ooh, i like that slot idea with the fan on the graphics card, thats pretty handy.

the kama bay idea is good, i did that [but it only spanned two drive bays, but in this P4 system it didn't even scratch what the temps are. where the ram is, it just cooks.

the duct on the heatsink to the rear fan, where'd you stumble upon that? it looks like something that might help my dual PII rig...or at least the basic concept.

if i could think in a straight line i'd say more.

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:54 pm

bonestonne wrote:ooh, i like that slot idea with the fan on the graphics card, thats pretty handy.

the kama bay idea is good, i did that [but it only spanned two drive bays, but in this P4 system it didn't even scratch what the temps are. where the ram is, it just cooks.

the duct on the heatsink to the rear fan, where'd you stumble upon that? it looks like something that might help my dual PII rig...or at least the basic concept.

if i could think in a straight line i'd say more.
Thanks. When I ordered the parts I had intended to pick up a Sunbeam Wherever PCI rack but Newegg was out of stock.

The mesh was to replace the mismatched drive covers which in my case were all slightly different shades of white. It did reduce temps a degree or two but the motivation was entirely cosmetic.

The duct comes with the HR-01 and can be purchased separately but stocking resellers are rare. It works well but if you notice the fan is slightly higher and heatsink. You want almost perfect alignment as the shape the duct prevents it from bending much. Otherwise, cardboard and duct tape would be a better solution.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:46 am

I then decided I wanted to remove the ASUS logo plate that covered the NB heatsink. I ended up breaking the bond so I pulled the motherboard, removed the goopy TIM on the NB and reinstalled the heatsink with AS5. Doesn't seem to be worth the effort. My System temp dropped 1C at idle.

I think that's a good sign actually, the original goop was not as bad as imagined.

Did you expect a much larger drop by simply switching to AS5? :roll:

You may get a larger change if you OCd.

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:21 pm

aristide1 wrote:I think that's a good sign actually, the original goop was not as bad as imagined.

Did you expect a much larger drop by simply switching to AS5? :roll:

You may get a larger change if you OCd.
I didn't really have any expectations. I had hoped the heatsink would work better without the ASUS logo cover. I hadn't intended to remove the entire heatsink.