It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My first go at silent computing - Coolermaster ATC 710 SX2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:46 am 

Hi.

Been hanging around here for a while now, just reading and thinking. Well, I finally found a tiny bit of motivation to do something. I dug out my old computer and started 'planning'.

Since I had some Zalman parts from way back I thought I'd mod them to fit my needs. Or well... The Radeon already had the ZM80C-HP since before, and the CPU had a CNPS7000A-Cu on top of it. Not much to do really, but I figured; "What the heck, I've seen tons of people straping on a 120mm fan on the CNPS7000, why shouldn't I give it a try?". So of I went, found an old Lian Li casefan that i demolished for the project. Ended up looking like this:

Yeah I know, I'm a shitty photographer. :oops:

Then the crazy idea of a fan/hdd-tunnel popped up in my head. At the moment it seemed like a good idea. This is how the prototype looked:

Attentive people will notice that that is a 140mm fan from Aerocool. Its not that bad acctually, but then again I'm used to quite the high ambient sounds in my room. Anyways... At this time I had already modified the case a wee bit to suit my cable management. At the same time I cut out all fanguards and modified the PSU, removed unneeded cables and fanguards. (Antec Truepower 550W, a bit to hefty for this project, don't you think? :))

This is what it looked like after the small tweaks to the case:

I must say, the best part of this project was the cable management. It was pure fun! *I'm a loonie!* :lol:

Anyways. At this point I realized that the fanbox was to big and unsuitable for my plans. And just plain ugly. :D

So I scrapped that idea. Hmm, seems like I cheated here with the picture taking. Oh well, the photographers among you are probably happy about that. 8)

Here follows the endresult:

Overview

HDD Suspension

CPU area

Backside

Cable mayhem

Hardware used:
Intel P4 "Northwood" 2.6 GHz
Abit IC7-G
Ati Radeon 9600XT
1.5GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR400
Seagate Barracuda IV 60GB
<insert manufacturer> DVD-ROM
Case:
Coolermaster ATC 710-SX2
Fans:
Intake - Scythe S-FLEX [The one that comes with the Infinity]
CPU - Lian Li casefan, no idea about the real manufacturer
Exhaust - 2x Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000
PSU - standard fans with removed fanguards and rubber.. uhm.. screws?

Now then, after I started it yesterday I was a weeeee bit dissapointed. The bearings in the modded Lian Li have obviously taken a beating so it sounds like a freaking chainsaw, gonna have to fix that. The intake fan is quite loud at 12V so I will have fix 5 or 7V to that, also the intake airflow sound is quite loud, I'll need to figure out a way to don't have it directly in front of the front. (That sounded weird.) The PSU has a high frequency beep not coming from the fans. The only thing I'm really happy with are the exhaust fans, even though the barely give any airflow but hey, who am I to complain about that?, and the cable management. Feels nice to have more meat on the bones though, now I can take this with me to the Lian Li PC-201 which contains my workstation/desktop/fileserver/gamingrig, some day... :)

I do however have a plan for the intake in the ATC. Bear with me for a little longer:

Yeah, my drawing suck too, so what? :lol:

But I guess you get the picture. I think I've seen a similar system here somewhere. If I'd only find that tiny bit of motivation now again...

Jeez, this became more like a project post than a gallery post. Well, moderators may do as they please. :)

Til next time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:42 am 
Friend of SPCR

Very nice, would read again! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:44 am 

Alright.

Changed back to the orginal fan on the Zalman and lowered the front fan to 7V. Most audible part now is the PSU. Now I'm satisfied with this machine! :)

Next project:

Get a Lian Li PC201 with C2D E6600 @ 3.6GHz, X1950XTX, X1300XT and 9 disks quiter. A lot of planning ahead I think. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:47 pm 

Interesting progression of refinement. (Movin on up, to the east side). :)

It's looking good.

What happened to the inside of your case (the skidmark)? Did you go road surfing with it?

Looking at your cable taping, I feel it is my duty to call the authorities and have you locked up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:40 pm 

doesn't look too bad, but i have to say, of all the cases i've used, i find Cooler Master to be the easiest brand to silence with and get the lowest temps...could just be my hot room and the big mesh front that helps too.

|Dual Intel Xeon E5-2680v2--Xigmatek SD1283 DK-II|Asus Z9PA-D8--HR-05 IFX|128gb DDR3-1600 ECC RDIMM|300gb DC SSD, 640gb, 1TB, 2TB HDDs|nVidia GTX660ti 2GB|Antec HCG-750|NZXT Source 210 Elite|M-Audio ProFire 2626|Art TubeOpto8 with Smooth Plate Tube Swap|Avid Artist Mix x2|
FartingBob wrote:
A 9500GT with 1GB of RAM is the most pointless thing since NASCAR.