It doesn't get more ghetto than this.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fancontrol

It doesn't get more ghetto than this.

Post by fancontrol » Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:42 pm

Read about it here.

Ugly, right down to the picture quality!

It started as a silent pc with no fans, now it's a silent pc with a little fan buried at the bottom and a lot of masking tape!

Air flow is no good when it's open, so I added a cover (of sorts). Thanks to 3M for providing, umm, prototype materials.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:00 pm

Dude, that is mighty sweet! I'm in the design industry, so I can totally relate to having a Distiller "renderbox" to free up your computer from distilling postscript all day long. That geode CPU is mighty slow though isn't it?

Cheers,
Leo

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:03 pm

powergyoza wrote:That geode CPU is mighty slow though isn't it?
Shhhhh.... don't make them take away my toy!

Seriously, it struggles now and then, but most of the time stays ahead of the game. CAD drawings aren't very demanding.

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:11 pm

BTW fancontrol, BRAVO!. I am terribly remiss to not have congratulated you before posting my article. I really like your system, and the principals that make it so cool (pun intended). I like your enclosure design, and the bright blue 3M is a perfect finishing touch. You now represent Little Blue, to help balance the market still so heavily influenced by Big Blue.

Fellow residents of the Ghetto untie... ahhhh... UNITE!

Crisspy.

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:02 pm

I've got to find a good way to get that name on there. I saw some brown vinyl tape in the lab...

Oh, and, wait until you see pictures of the 16x2 char. LCD (taped to my desk) that shows temperatures and fan speed. Foxxy!

[edit: sha-zam!]

it's showing the three temps (in, htsnk, out), the pct out (27), the speed (3207) and a dorky bar graph of the percent out.