New Build-Digital Audio Workstation/P182

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

The dman

New Build-Digital Audio Workstation/P182

Post by The dman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:04 pm

I finished my new DAW a couple days ago:

Abit IP-35 Pro-Intel Q6600
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Gigabyte 8600GT
Thermalright Ultra Extreme
WD Caviar SE16 WD2500AAKS
2-WD Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS
ASUS 20X DVD±R
RME HDSP 9652
2-UAD1

After a lot of back and forth I decided to get the P182 and man I'm glad I did. I took out the lower fan and put it in the middle to help cool all the cards. So far the idle temps are 20c. I'm still installing, transferring and tweaking so I haven't really taken her out for a ride yet. Sorry for the bad pictures, my batteries gave out. I still have a little cleaning up to do but I'm proud of how it turned out for my first official build, although I did have a buddy helping me:wink:

I have this in a machine room along with another P180B computer so all I needed to do was knock down the db. The difference between these cases and my old cases as far as noise are huge. This is the best upgrade I've made in a long time.

I may replace the case fans someday but I'll just leave it be for now. I got a lot of inspiration and information form this site.

Prepped

Blast Off

Job Done (for now)

The ugly truth

Image :wink:

Shukuteki

Post by Shukuteki » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:27 pm

Looks really clean, I like the way you did the fan connectors on the back.

deio

Post by deio » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:30 am

Hello,

I like your build, nice configuration, especially that IP35, good MB. :wink:
But those Antec fans really got to go, at silent mode they have 1200RPM and move less air than S-flex or Noctuas. I got myself some CoolerMaster 120mm 1200RPM (max) and plugged them in the MB headers. Abit MB should control at least 3 fans, and you will get rid of extra messy cables in the back , and of course, extra noise...at idle the fans should spin at about 700RPM, at load: about 1000RMP, depends how you set them but never at maximum...so, silent PC sounds good...
Good luck :)

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:13 pm

Since you removed the fan from the bottom chamber and have 3 hard drives down there, it's a good idea to block the back vents around the PSU. This forces cool air to come in from the front of the case and travel across the hard drives.

Tell us more about that machine room.. is it very far away from your work room? I hope so. :)