Yet another silent htpc

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pupo

Yet another silent htpc

Post by pupo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:17 am

Hello all :)

Here is yet another try to build up silent HTPC.

Image Image Image Image Image

Components are:

ECS H67H2-I
Intel G530 - Xigmatek Balder
Mushkin 2x4Gb (from time when memory was cheap)
32Gb "Samsung" SSD from ebay
120W pico itx from ebay
custom case

XBMC is up, but i occasionally play some Dota2 on it :)

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Yet another silent htpc

Post by xan_user » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:10 pm

Love it! another great external heat sink build!

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:26 am

You know, you guys give me the feel of those Diablo 2 addicts I used to know.

It's supposed to be fun you know. But for those people (the members of the diabloii.net single-player forum) it had turned into something they "just do".

Come on, you can't be serious about some PC you are building being nothing more than "just another silent htpc".

Where is the love man? The pictures I see, this unit is just devoid of any love. Why are you even doing it?

How many have you already built? It sounds as if though this is your 20th....

Just like those D2 people who were doing the same thing over and over and over and just started trying to maximize their output or their efficiency or their effectiveness in doing that boring thing.

You can't be serious about giving this little love to a unit you are hand-crafting. There's gotta be some love left in that heart of yours...

I mean, just look at it. It is ugly. The material needs a much better polish (at the cuts). In a case this size, if you use that heatsink, it can't be in the middle, just not smack in the middle... It's like a desktop background, you want that pretty girl to be over to the right side of your widescreen monitor, not in the middle where she is always hidden by whatever.

That huge antenna feels like some handle that you will use to drag it off to whatever dark place you are going to abuse it. This unit is like an SM submissive that wants wagon-loads of violence directed at her. Someone who feels like trash and wants that beaten out of her.

Well, that already makes the unit feel better, doesn't it? :D

LOL! Right now she feels to me like a sweet girl who is happy the big word is out and is able to relax for the first time in a long while. Some cute girl who wants to be fooled and just playfully fooled around with, nothing heavy or bad.

I hope you can give her what she needs, hahaha.

pupo

Post by pupo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:03 am

Nice observation :)

I mean yet another silent build on this forum. For me, I think that that is my 3rd "silent" build, but first with I've been satisfied in terms of noise.

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:42 am

Aye, but just because compared to some objective criterium about how good something looks, such as what other people have done before you...