Multiple systems in one P180 case

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yamawho

Multiple systems in one P180 case

Post by yamawho » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:49 am

Having an itch you can't scratch is like wanting to build a system without having a need for yet another one. I have been considering getting an Antec P180 or 900 for a while now. I decided on the P180 with the plan to build 3 systems in the same case.

I removed the top drive cage which is to hold 2 hdd's or used as an air duct for a 120mm fan.

1st system:
I made a motherboard tray out of MDF and installed it instead of the hdd cage. I used my Intel D201GLY2 which is a mini-itx mobo for my print server, fax server, file server system. Since this system uses a power brick, there was no need to install a 2nd ATX power supply in the case.

2nd system:
I installed my ASRock Conroe1333-D667 in the traditional place and used a Coolermaster 550 watt psu even though it's overkill ... for now.

Wiring:
I used the reset button on the case as the power switch for the 1st system along with a hdd led.
I ran the leads from my KVM through an open PCI cover at the rear and the rest of the cables for this system through the grommets in the back. Since this system is on 24/7, I connected the rear 120mm fan to this system for air flow.

The 2nd system is wired standard and the two other 1200mm fan are running off the Coolermaster.

Hard drives:
I have 4 hdd's installed in the hdd cage at the bottom of the case. One 500GB for the server system 1 and 3 others attached to the ASRock mobo.

I found that there are some areas in the case which are sharp like around the power supply area. I also found the connectors on the 120mm fan provided were kind of cheap and I actually broke one of them. However, I really like the quality of this case.

The 3rd system ... well I do have a plan to add it later. I foresee using a M-ATX mobo and mounting in front of the ASRock board. Since this ASRock has no pci or video card installed, there is room to add it. Also, the power requirements of a M-ATX mobo, celeron D 4xx series cpu, hdd and dvd drive is only about 115 watts. A small power supply will be needed, along with some better cable management to pull it off.

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:25 am

Sweet! I've been considering the same thing, I live in a flat and I don't care for yet another case. Neat to see there's room for a mini-ITX in the P180! :D And also a very nice solution cable-wise; I'd have thought you'd need one of those huge Lian Li cases with dual power supplies, but if you can run off of a power brick that's not necessary.

I don't see "the two other 1200mm fans" you mention, though. :shock: Perhaps they're external?

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:38 pm

cool hack

yamawho

Post by yamawho » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:41 pm

KlaymenDK wrote:I don't see "the two other 1200mm fans" you mention, though. :shock: Perhaps they're external?
1200 mm was a typo :lol:

There are three 120 mm fans that come with this case. One on top, 2nd at the rear and the 3rd mounted in the bottom chamber about two inches before the power supply. All fans have a fan controller with 3 speeds.

prodeous

Post by prodeous » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:44 am

Impersive build. I'm cooking up (very slowly) something similar. But its still in the planning phase.

I have one recomendation.

The ITX board, you could run it of a PICO PSU connected to 12V of the main power supply ;)

I expermited with this connecting a mATX with an AMD 3600X2, generaly functioned OK. But again, with life there is no guarantie, so be carefull.

yamawho

Post by yamawho » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:46 pm

prodeous wrote:The ITX board, you could run it of a PICO PSU connected to 12V of the main power supply ;)
That might be worth exploring ...