New build complete - mostly.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NyteOwl

New build complete - mostly.

Post by NyteOwl » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:30 pm

I've pretty much finished my new build. A few departures from the usual cast of "quiet" characters, but the final reult is quiet quiet if not silent. The only real culprit remains the video card cooler. That may be remedied soon.

Pics and specs at NyteOwl's Perch

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:04 pm

NyteOwl, your pics link didn't work quite right. I found imageshack works great, if you're looking for recommendations that is.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:24 pm

Hi,
How noisy are those RAM fans you're using ? With that much air going through your case, it must cool like a charm !!!!

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:53 pm

@that Linux guy

I had a typo in a table cell - should work now.

@frenchie

With the side panel off and the case about a foot away they were inaudible. Even placing my ear to the opening they were inaudible. I was very impressed as my experience with some other 40mm fans has shown me hisses and whines but these are quite good. After my overclocking experiments I left them in as they contribute little or nothing to the noise signature.

While you can feel just a slight air flow from the top and rear, temperatures have been pretty decent. I have since dropped the NB voltage which I forgot to do after my tests so the NB temp and hence the average mainboard temps have dropped a couple of degrees.

All in all I'm fairly pleased as I'm more accustomed to building max performance servers and workstations where quiet is not a concern but speed and cooling are. It was educational and SPCR was invaluable.