D945GCLF2 fileserver

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mentawl

D945GCLF2 fileserver

Post by mentawl » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:38 pm

Just thought I'd post a coupl've pics of my little home storage server that I put together over the weekend. Pretty happy with it, even if it does look a little unbalanced (as the second picture shows...)

(Full size - http://www.banzaiinstitute.net/ment/server/server1.JPG )

(Full size - http://www.banzaiinstitute.net/ment/server/server2.JPG )

Runs pretty quiet. The 3 HDs are mounted in a HD cage from an old Antec case, complete with an 80mm fan running with LNA cable from the motherboard header, which is set at 50% duty cycle. The rear slot covers have been left off to allow a fresh air intake for this fan. The HD cage rests on a thick piece of acoustic foam, and is secured lightly to the case with a coupl've chains of cable ties - the case is never moved, so a really solid mounting mechanism isn't necessary.

I also removed the stock HSF from the chipset on the motherboard and added an old Thermalright HR-05 I had lying around - it does fit, if a little squinty! Lines up perfectly with the case fan, and neither it nor the CPU get too warm, even under heavy load.

Spec is fairly obvious - D945GCLF2 w/1GB of DDR2, Samsung 120GB IDE drive for boot, IDE DVD-Rom, 750GB Samsung and 250GB Western Digital drives, and some no-name PSU. Everything is second-hand apart from the motherboard :).

--Tom
Last edited by mentawl on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elijah86

Post by Elijah86 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:36 am

You mean a Thermalright HR-05! Nice set up does the HR-05 keep it much cooler than stock?

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:38 am

You're quite right, Thermalright. I posted too late at night, hehe.

It doesn't keep it much cooler than stock, but it keeps it about the same without requiring the small screaming fan :). Both the CPU and Northbridge are slightly warm to the touch, but nowhere near uncomfortable. Sensors report mid-40s on the CPU usually.

Qu!cK

Post by Qu!cK » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:00 am

Nice ring !