Antec NSK3480 with Noctua NH-U12P

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

maxu

Post by maxu » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:26 am

Unfortunatelly my last slot is PCI. I know a PCIe NIC would fit, and I do have one, but the x1 slot is up, not "down there"

peter_j

Post by peter_j » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:41 am

nice!

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:09 am

maxu wrote:Unfortunatelly my last slot is PCI. I know a PCIe NIC would fit, and I do have one, but the x1 slot is up, not "down there"
What you can do is install the hard drive in the 5 1/4" drive bays, which will free the bottom of the case. I'll take some measurements for you though.

maxu

Post by maxu » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:01 am

Zenphic wrote: install the hard drive in the 5 1/4" drive bays
I considered that, too. Unfortunately there would lie the unused PSU cables. Unless I'd do some cuts in the side and hide the cables beneath the MB tray.
But that's a bit too much for my skills

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:54 am

maxu wrote:
Zenphic wrote: install the hard drive in the 5 1/4" drive bays
I considered that, too. Unfortunately there would lie the unused PSU cables. Unless I'd do some cuts in the side and hide the cables beneath the MB tray.
But that's a bit too much for my skills
Yeah, things do get tight in the 5 1/4 bays because of the power supply cables.

By the way, I just checked the clearance between the bottom of the hard drive and the last PCI slot and there is no space for a full height PCI card. The hard drive pretty much blocks access to the PCI slot, but there is less than 1 1/2 inch distance between the hard drive and the PCI slot.

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Re: Antec NSK3480 with Noctua NH-U12P

Post by Zenphic » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:43 am

I've posted an update. It's not much, but I thought some of you might want to know. Happy holidays!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:47 am

Zenphic wrote:I've posted an update. It's not much, but I thought some of you might want to know. Happy holidays!
Thanks, and merry xmas you too! :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:50 am

WOW, that's impressive -- updating a 5 year old PC AND this 5-yr old thread! 8)

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:42 pm

MikeC wrote:WOW, that's impressive -- updating a 5 year old PC AND this 5-yr old thread! 8)
The system is a bit slow sometimes, but it still manages to get the work done as well as the occasional gaming (League of Legends).

I'm planning on fully upgrading perhaps in a year or two. Well, I won't actually be fully upgrading. I'll only be upgrading the motherboard, processor, RAM and SSD. The rest I'll keep. Gotta save them moneyz somehow!

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:35 am

This is awesome!

I built my mom a very similar system around the same time. Still goes strong, though the Earthwatts definitely is the loudest component.

I wish they would update the case. With some cable routing capabilities and maybe a 140mm front fan it would have been a strong contender for the SPCR mATX system guide. The small volume and short air-path from entry to exit can only be an advantage for cooling.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:03 am

Cistron wrote:though the Earthwatts definitely is the loudest component.

Swap the fan and drive it externally: it will be one of the quietest PSUs around (it's actually quieter than my Seasonic 460W fanless).

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:03 am

quest_for_silence wrote:

Swap the fan and drive it externally: it will be one of the quietest PSUs around (it's actually quieter than my Seasonic 460W fanless).
It doesn't bother her, so I won't bother either (yet), though it made me think about the current angled layout again and the way it restricts builds. With all these highly efficient PSUs available, surely a 80mm fan should be able to cool the components well enough (quite OT to this thread though).

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:28 am

quest_for_silence wrote:

I was actually thinking about switching the fan. Any tips on how to connect a 3-pin fan to the internal 2-pin of the power supply? Perhaps there is an adapter I could buy somewhere?
Cistron wrote:This is awesome!

I built my mom a very similar system around the same time. Still goes strong, though the Earthwatts definitely is the loudest component.

I wish they would update the case. With some cable routing capabilities and maybe a 140mm front fan it would have been a strong contender for the SPCR mATX system guide. The small volume and short air-path from entry to exit can only be an advantage for cooling.
Yes, I would love to see Antec make an update to the NSK3480. It's still my favourite mATX case, mostly for the small size (short depth) and the two chamber design. On my wishlist:

- Bottom mounted power supply (with bottom intake) & bottom 2 x 5.25" drive bays (such as seen on the Antec Mini P180), all in a 2-chamber design
- No included power supply
- Front 1x140mm or 1x120mm or 2x92mm
- No top air vents, no side air vents
- Cable routing behind the motherboard tray
- Keep the same form factor/size (or go with slightly wider to accommodate rear mounting + longer depth for larger power supplies)
- Sound deadening material or keep having the thick steel panels
- Top front USB/power buttons

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:06 am

Actually, I like the top PSU position - perfect for fanless PSU. To be a viable Silent Gaming PC contender, it really needs only 2 changes: low impedance 120mm fan intake & bottom panel vented for GPU cooling intake. We might even do a build with a modded case if we can get another sample from Antec.

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:38 pm

MikeC wrote:Actually, I like the top PSU position - perfect for fanless PSU. To be a viable Silent Gaming PC contender, it really needs only 2 changes: low impedance 120mm fan intake & bottom panel vented for GPU cooling intake. We might even do a build with a modded case if we can get another sample from Antec.
Now that you mention it, a top PSU position would be a good idea for a fanless PSU. I wonder if it would work well in a bottom mounted position though? If the power supply is mounted with the intake grills at the bottom, would cool air still enter it or would the hot air just get trapped?

Anyway, a fanless PSU is so expensive. Semi-passive seems to be the way to go! I've got my eye on the Corsair RM series, but I doubt it would fit into the NSK3480 when I have a DVD drive installed.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Zenphic wrote:Now that you mention it, a top PSU position would be a good idea for a fanless PSU. I wonder if it would work well in a bottom mounted position though? If the power supply is mounted with the intake grills at the bottom, would cool air still enter it or would the hot air just get trapped?

Anyway, a fanless PSU is so expensive. Semi-passive seems to be the way to go! I've got my eye on the Corsair RM series, but I doubt it would fit into the NSK3480 when I have a DVD drive installed.
Not as good on the bottom, much of its heat tends to rise up to the GPU/CPU.

Not so pricey: Seasonic X400 fanless is as low as CA$120 these days.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Cistron wrote:I wish they would update the case.

AFAIK actually Antec dismissed the NSK3480, and it won't be updated/upgraded, but downgraded/downsized (with very cheap enclosure, the NSK3180).

Zenphic wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:

I was actually thinking about switching the fan. Any tips on how to connect a 3-pin fan to the internal 2-pin of the power supply? Perhaps there is an adapter I could buy somewhere?

You have to just plug the connector in, respecting the polarity: the fan's yellow wire is just for speed reading.
By the way, if you use a sophisticated UEFI or a good software control, IMO it's a smarter move to drive the new fan through a motherboard header.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:32 am

MikeC wrote:Actually, I like the top PSU position - perfect for fanless PSU. To be a viable Silent Gaming PC contender, it really needs only 2 changes: low impedance 120mm fan intake & bottom panel vented for GPU cooling intake. We might even do a build with a modded case if we can get another sample from Antec.
Do you think the bottom vents are necessary if the front fan is only 2 cm away?

I think someone here did an amazing mod with cable routing and someone else with a 120cm front fan mod.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:33 am

MikeC wrote:We might even do a build with a modded case if we can get another sample from Antec.

Years ago you collaborated with Antec to design quiet enclosures: nowadays couldn't you talk with them about bringing a new iteration of their 3480 into production?

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:41 am

MikeC wrote:
Zenphic wrote:Now that you mention it, a top PSU position would be a good idea for a fanless PSU. I wonder if it would work well in a bottom mounted position though? If the power supply is mounted with the intake grills at the bottom, would cool air still enter it or would the hot air just get trapped?

Not as good on the bottom, much of its heat tends to rise up to the GPU/CPU.

Not so pricey: Seasonic X400 fanless is as low as CA$120 these days.
That's not too bad at all. I might consider it for my build, but I suspect that I will have to change case since the power supply is too long (in depth) to have a DVD drive installed.

It's too bad the NSK3480 was abandoned by Antec. I guess there is no market for a silent mini-tower case. Even Fractal Design has not made any updates to their Define Mini in a long time, yet look at what they are doing with the mid-tower Define R series.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:23 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Years ago you collaborated with Antec to design quiet enclosures: nowadays couldn't you talk with them about bringing a new iteration of their 3480 into production?
They seem to have really lost their way. I don't know that there's anyone there anymore who can drive a project like this to fruition. I guess I can ask my old contacts...

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:39 am

Zenphic wrote:I suspect that I will have to change case since the power supply is too long (in depth) to have a DVD drive installed.

It's more than a suspect, it's certain: not only for the DVD drive, but also for cables cut-outs, because with a modular 160mm PSU you won't be able to drive the cable outside the upper chamber (unless you mod it with a cutter/saw).

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:16 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Zenphic wrote:I suspect that I will have to change case since the power supply is too long (in depth) to have a DVD drive installed.

It's more than a suspect, it's certain: not only for the DVD drive, but also for cables cut-outs, because with a modular 160mm PSU you won't be able to drive the cable outside the upper chamber (unless you mod it with a cutter/saw).
That's a big nope in my book. I'm not exactly handy with tools that have blades on them! :lol:

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:56 am

MikeC wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:Years ago you collaborated with Antec to design quiet enclosures: nowadays couldn't you talk with them about bringing a new iteration of their 3480 into production?
They seem to have really lost their way. I don't know that there's anyone there anymore who can drive a project like this to fruition. I guess I can ask my old contacts...
A possible alternative from Cooltek (probably Rosewill in North America): not quite perfect, but an option indeed (probably inferior, cooling-wise).