Eclipse - Multiples all around...

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Eclipse - Multiples all around...

Post by Nick Geraedts » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:24 pm

My main workstation has gone through various upgrades since I bought the initial hardware a little over a year ago. Today was likely the last upgrade to this system before moving to a new platform at some point in the future (Core i7 in all likelyhood).

Current Specs as follows:

Case: Antec 900
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula
CPU: Intel Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz, 1.225Vcore + ThermalRight Ultra120 Extreme
RAM: 4x2GB G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
Hard drives:2xWD6400AAKS in RAID0
Optical Drive:Pioneer DVR-212D
Primary Video card:ASUS ATI 4850 w/ Accelero S1 Rev.2
Secondary Video card:ASUS ATI 3650 Silent Magic
Audio Card: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
Network Card: Intel PRO/1000PT
PSU: Corsair HX520
Fans: 2x Scythe Slipstream 800RPM + 2x Scythe Slipstream 500RPM
Monitors:Acer X243 + 2x Acer AL2016W

The always necessary picture of the innards:

And... with the RAM upgrade, I get more stickers!!! :D

And where the system lies in relation to my desk:

Cabling isn't the prettiest (I know, I know), but they're out of the way enough, and getting any more fancy would require modifying the case, which I'm not willing to do. The 800RPM fans are located on the TRUE and the rear exhaust, the 200mm fan is set to low, and the 500RPM fans are placed in the front chambers to provide enough directed airflow to cool the two passive video cards.

All temperatures are well within tolerances, and while it's not silent like some/all of the systems in Mike's lab, it's definitely not loud either. Do anything aside from trying to hear the system and it's pretty much unnoticable.

Comments and questions are welcomed. :)

sokre

Re: Eclipse - Multiples all around...

Post by sokre » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:55 am

Nick Geraedts wrote:

The always necessary picture of the innards:
Nice.

Would it be OK to put EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin cable under motherboard?

Would it fit? (I do not mean to put it behind motherboard tray, but between tray and motherboard)

Is it safe? (electricity - potential danger)

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:16 am

I think I tried that option when I first setup the system. If my memory serves me correctly, the bundled cables were too thick to fit under the motherboard itself. I suppose I could try un-sleeving the EPS12V cable to see if I can spread out the cables to make them fit underneath...

sokre

Post by sokre » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:13 am

Nick Geraedts wrote:I think I tried that option when I first setup the system. If my memory serves me correctly, the bundled cables were too thick to fit under the motherboard itself. I suppose I could try un-sleeving the EPS12V cable to see if I can spread out the cables to make them fit underneath...
Thought so...

Thanks for reply.
I have Antec 300 + Corsair TX650. Similar case - inside I mean....
I think I ll do it your way.

Elijah86

Post by Elijah86 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:04 pm

I keep my 4pin 12v and an IDE/ata cable behind my mobo and have not run into any problems.

CallmeRoth

Post by CallmeRoth » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:40 pm

I don't understand why your keeping that 3650 in there.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:21 pm

I have the 3650 because I use three monitors. The 4670 wasn't available at the time (would have been slightly more ideal), and the price of the 3650 was rediculously low ($40 CAD) for a passive card.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Nice looking rig. I used 4-pin extension so I could route Aux power cable prettier in my Antec Nine Hundred. I like your rig a lot. Its good to know that I am not sole Silent enthusiast Using Antec Nine Hundred with Slipstreams ^^

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:13 am

Nick, how about a mini review of the Antec 900?

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:31 pm

There really isn't all that much to say about the case. It's typical Antec quality all around - including their service. I had a problem with the front USB and audio connectors a few months ago. After a couple of quick emails to their tech support, they sent a replacement in the mail - free of charge.

The only complaint that I would have with the case is that it's a little bit to short front-to-back. There isn't much space beside the motherboard to route cables, and if you were to have several hard drives in the system, you'd definitely run into issues with long video cards.

Otherwise, I love the case. Everything is securely screwed into place. No wiggles, rattles or squeaks from this case. There's plenty of relatively unrestricted airflow for high powered systems. Like I said before, my system isn't silent, but it's definitely quiet enough for my tastes. I'd say that my two systems (this one and file server) are roughly equal in sound level.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:43 am

I agree with Nick. The version 1.1 I have you really don't have that much space the route cables cleanly.

What I don't like the case is side window's fin attachment, which is made with plastic clips. I'd prefer regular screw attachment, since I have accelero in that case and lower plastic clip cause problem with my accelero with 120mm fan.

A small thing I would have liked to see in Antec 900 would have been that there would have been vintilation holes in bottom for PSU and psu would have draw air from below the case and not inside the case...

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:34 pm

I actually hated the window so much that I ordered another right-side panel from Antec. I've now got smooth black on both sides of the case. Besides, that side of the case is sitting up next to the desk... so I can't really see into the system anyways. :P

I've never found a side vent to be useful in any computer I've ever built. Keeping the airflow as front-to-back directed as possible has always proved better in my experience.

The bottom vent for the PSU would be a hit and miss. On the one hand, the PSU wouldn't be pulling hot air from the case, and therefore possibly ramp up. However, the top 200mm fan and the 120mm fan in the rear generally keep the ambient temperature inside low enough that that a quality PSU won't ramp up. I also get the added benefit that the HX520 draws air over my ATI3650, lowering the temperature that little bit more. :)

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:17 am

I wish I could order a black side panel from antec but I have no change. I'd rather have no side window aswell and put my aber lightls visible thru just vents...