Post by axee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:37 pm

I will be short..

-Intel C2Q 9550 @ 3.8GHz (1.25V) with HR-01+
-Mushkin Redline 8GB
-Antec P182
-ATi HD 4670 with Accelero S1
-Corsair HX 450W with S-Flex 1600RPM
-Samsung HD503HI in SQD

When I first built this PC I used 3 800RPM slipstreams, at front, on heatsink and at the back. Even though I cut all grills and removed all the obstacles sound of moving air (woosh) was bothering me, so I decided to use PWM technology.

Now I have 3 AC 12025, running at 480RPM 99% of the time, even during heavy multitasking. Fans spins up only if I encode, they stop at 850RPM and cores reach mid 60's. Fans are controlled with ASUS AI Suite, no problems there.

Mostly I'm satisfied with my system, it's inaudible almost every time, loudest part is rear fan, fortunately HDD is inaudible even few cm away.

Corsair PSU is running perfectly with S-Flex 1600 RPM, fan usually spins at 450RPM, 780RPM at full load.

Currently I'm waiting for HR-02 to eliminate heatsink fan and saving money for SSD.

All cables are sleeved, I did my best at cable management but it would really look amazing if case were painted black..

Fan duct lowered my temperatures by about 5°C, it's made from cardboard and duct tape, painted black. Unfortunately paint is peeling off all the time .. :(

Mosfets were a bit hot so I used some VGA RAM heatsinks :D

Hard drive is in SQD, which is sitting on home made tray, made from optical drive casing and antec's silicon grommets. Works perfectly, that combination eliminates all the noises and vibrations.

If I remove ANY of 3 AC fans I get much higher temperatures (high overclock), so my only option is HR-02..

I will appreciate any comments and suggestions!

(server pics are coming in a few days)

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:18 pm

It looks very nice! :D

What if the rear fan is stopped, and only starts when the CPU is encoding/running at full load?

axee

Post by axee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Since all 3 fans runs from the same (and only) PWM header I can't find a way to control rear fan individually..

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:46 pm

How about making an U-shaped duct that covers the whole slot area from front to back of the board? You can make a simple cardboard prototype in just 2 minutes, just to see if it helps.

Also remove a couple of those slot covers, maybe the two closest to the graphics card. I don't think they let enough air pass through even though they've got vents.

Look at this product, it's made for PSU's, but you could make something similar for the rear 120 mm fan. I've seen people putting foam at the wall right behind the rear fan, that also helps.

Have you checked if the other fan headers can be controlled with Speedfan? Download and try. This would require a non-PWM fan, I think.

axee

Post by axee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:12 pm

Well, after more testing/listening rear fan isn't a problem, it's fan on heatsink, producing turbolent sound around the fins. Fortunately HR-02 will solve that problem.

I don't think that I understand U-shaped duct idea, could you describe more?

Thanks for comments!

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:21 pm

Imagine a duct that looks like the one you have for the CPU, but twice as long. It's open in the rear and the front and it is as wide as all the slots together, and just high enough so the graphics card and the S1 fits inside.

You can extend the distance between the CPU heatsink and the fan with a longer duct, that should lower the turbulence.

Also check if Speedfan works, remember to set it correctly, ask if you don't know how.

axee

Post by axee » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:16 am

Here are pics of file server. It's running Win7 x86, Windows Server 2008 isn't an option since alot of freeware that I use don't work on Server platforms.

I don't use any RAID or any other redundant solutions, simple file shares with rules for every family computer and FTP server.

Intel E1200
1GB RAM
Intel D945GCCR
Antec 300
LC Power LC6560 560 W (LCs are usually cheap low quality PSUs, but this one is 80+ bronze with 6 SATA connections for only 40€)

Front fans are Slipstreams 800RPM, rear fan is ADDA from Corsair PSU, running quietly at 5V. Top fan hole is covered.

Old Zalman CNPS9500, better than stock cooler I guess..