SeaSonic S12 II SS-330GB Power Supply
GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Mobo
AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-core CPU
SILVERSTONE NT07-AM2 80mm CPU Cooler
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM -TWIN2X2048-6400C4
Microsoft Windows Home Server 32 Bit 1 Pack (Power pack 1) - OEM
Western Digital Caviar GP WD7500AACS 750GB Hard Drives Qty=2

The build went pretty smooth, with only a few minor issues:

1. On various forums, I had been warned to use a power supply that has short cables (such as the Silverstone ST50EF-Plus sc) or modular. I chose to go with the Seasonic supply becasue it was rated as being very quiet, efficient, excellent quality and cheap ($49.99 on sales at Newegg). However,routing cables and finding places to hide the unused cables was a bit of a chore.Ultimately, it worked out OK and I'll have to deal with it again whenever I replace the DVD drive for an additional hard drive.

2. At my first boot up - no video! Tried a second monitor and both the D-SUB and DVI-D ports. Still no video. Checked the web for advice. Removed the RAM and disconnected both hard drives. Still no video. Next, cleared the CMOS. Ah hah - video came up! Shut down again, reinstalled the RAM and drives rebooted into the BIOS. Reviewed and set BIOS settings as needed and then installed WHS without any issues.

3. Disconnected the monitor, keyboard, etc. Set up the server in my home office and connected up to the network. No network connection! Darn - forgot to install the Mobo drivers! Set the server back up with a monitor and keyboard. Note - just used the recommended drivers right off of the disk that came with the Mobo. Ok, now the server shows up on the network.

Overall, I think it went pretty well considering that this is my first self-built computer. The Silverstone case looks more like an appliance, rather than another computer. It's very quiet, just as I wanted (it's located directly behind my desk). Last, WHS has lots of potential for additional services versus just a NAS box for backup and file storage. Overall, I'm very pleased with the results.

Regards, Scott

Here's the pictures!!!

Elijah86

Post by Elijah86 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:18 pm

Your photos are a no go. :(

Scottr

Post by Scottr » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:28 pm

Sorry, had problems posting the pictures here. Try this link:

http://forum.wegotserved.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4592

dgccr

Post by dgccr » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:45 pm

Nice Build!