My very first "built by my own" computer :)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Eyedolon

Post by Eyedolon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:02 am

She's intending to do medical simulations and other power-intensive tasks. By no means should a 5400RPM HDD ever touch that, it will maul the effectiveness of that multiple-grand computer.

trandy1001

Post by trandy1001 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:32 pm

Eyedolon wrote:She's intending to do medical simulations and other power-intensive tasks. By no means should a 5400RPM HDD ever touch that, it will maul the effectiveness of that multiple-grand computer.
Perhaps as a program files drive it wouldn't perform as well, but for general storage there is no reason not to have a 5400rpm large capacity drive. The overall acoustics, storage per $ and power savings would more than merit it. Today's modern 5400rpm "green" drives offer some pretty compelling performance, comparable to most standard hard drives. I just benched mine at about average 85mb/s sustained read, which is actually much faster than my 7200rpm 250gb boot drive. (hmm, I should get a new boot drive)

Kate

Post by Kate » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:03 pm

Eyedolon,

Somehow I think my CPU is runnig hotter than it should be and it makes me very concerned! :)

I dont mind waiting 40 seconds for vista to boot, for me its pretty fast, my notebook takes a longer time to boot vista, it is pretty annoying tho, but hey.. Its a notebook!

Yes the computer is and will be a lot more than I expected, but it is a good thing! :)

Trandy1001,

Exactly! I am constantly afraid of CPU temps, I built a computer not a rice cooking machine! lol

I have ordered AS5, as I heard it is the best Thermal Compound in the market, and the one I am using OCZ freeze, was given to me by a friend, and I only had enough paste for one or two applications, so I better buy a new one just in case! :)

I even started a new thread about CPU heat because I am really concerned about it!

Eyedolon

Post by Eyedolon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:54 pm

You have to understand that you have a lower-air-flow case. If you put the same heatsink in something like a CoolerMaster HAF that's designed for airflow at the expense of everything else, you'd get much different temperatures. Especially when you've replaced the two fans that cool that zone with low-noise. They say 30* because many of them use cases similar to mine, that has 3 120mm and a 200mm fan for cooling the main zone. 30* is what I get too!

The point is 50 is not hot. 70 at idle would be a bad sign. I would expect your computer to do 70 at heavy load - this isn't a big deal. I think the heart of this is somewhere you read someone saying high temps reduce part lifespans, and you put far too much weight on that statement. Does it? Sure. Will it EVER make a difference? Not a chance in hell. The Q9550 will be long long outdated before it ever wears out. Heat lifespans generally matter for server rigs, personals just don't have that effective use time. I mean, if your box was doing 110C, then it would probably cook out. If it WAS doing 110, that would mean that it had already throttled down (the CPU will throttle itself back if it's getting hot, to prevent equipment failure), and it probably was not connected to a heatsink.

You're flipping nuts over something that's not a big deal. The only difference between your 50 and my 30 is your fan possibly spins a little faster then mine.

BTW, somewhere on this site (or Ars? I get them confused) is a list of parts specced to make a rice cooker box. Literally. I think they came up with 4ghz NetBurst pentium and then started debating just how to transfer all that heat to the cooking surface and the thread went downhill.

trandy1001

Post by trandy1001 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:30 am

It isn't necessary to have just above ambient temps. But in the same way, it isn't necessary to have an ultra quiet computer. It is just the way of a computer enthusiast to have the "best" (insert user changeable variable here). That would include temps, benchmarking speed, decibels, and even the appearance of the case. What's safe and what people want are two different things. No, not everyone needs the lowest temps but everyone can agree that lower is better. (Except when you have to deal with condensation of below ambient temp cooling).

Controlling temperature is just another facet of the hobby which computer enthusiasts partake.

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:44 am

Really the only way to enhance the CPU-temperatures without adding any noise (not that there's need to do so, in the first place) is to sand down both the CPU and the heatsink. Like so:

http://metku.net/index.html?path=mods/lapping/index_eng

And I'm pretty sure you don't want to go there :) The temps really aren't that concerning, just relax and enjoy your new rig!

Kate

Post by Kate » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:41 pm

Eyedolon,

Hello!! :)

Ya! I know P182 is not very cooling friendly, it was designed to block noises... However the temperatures I was getting was TOO hot!

I made a calibration with realtemp, and hopefully things are correct now... Not sure if i did the right thing, but i described what I did in my other post in here:
viewtopic.php?t=52398&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Now I get like 40s when IDLE, and it rarely goes to more 57 when using 100%. I believe that lowering the CPU voltage helped a lot!

Since I already ordered AS5, and a better PWM fan, I ordered a Scythe Kama PWM, hopefully I will be able to shave off more 2 or 3 C.

50 might not be HOT, but 70 is hot doesnt matter if its idle or 100%, 70 is very hot, and I know for a fact that the applications I use will render the CPU useless because it will consume the last drop of processing power! So imagine, running this software 8 to 10 hours a day! So, until I am 100% sure that no harm will be caused to my new baby, I will not run this kind of software...

However, if I did the correct calibration than I´m happy!

:)

trandy1001,

Indeed... But noise is not really a big problem, because noise will always be present, of course the lower the better..

My biggest concern is to be able to use my computer without having to worry about overheat, I want safe temperatures, and I dont like the idea of using things to its LIMIT, if the temperature limit is 71.4C.. Ideally I would like to have my CPU running around high 60s at most!

Jipa,

Ya I read about lapping, and no... waranty is important to me... and further more I heard that the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cannot be "lapped".

I posted my heat concerns here:
viewtopic.php?t=52398&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

If I did the correct calibrations I am running at high 30s to 40s idle and high 50s when 100% if.. this is correct.. then I will be VERY happy...

Eyedolon

Post by Eyedolon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:23 pm

It's my advice to pick one facet of the enthusiast lifestyle and stick with it. Either way, once you get the AS5 on and correct (use 99% alcohol (methyl? ethyl? no idea which) to clean off the old TIM), I'd be shocked if you weren't able to bring your computer back up to running specs.

Kate

Post by Kate » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:49 am

Hello Eyedolon,

LOL. methyl, ethyl, propryl... they are all hydrocabonetes... methyl is only one carbon, ethyl is two and propyl is three... And.. methyl is hydrophobic alkyl, derivated (or rather named) after methane...

Anyways... Im sure that the "pure" alcohol should be called isopropilic alcohol (IPA) or 2-propanol or... C3H8O. LOL

I will clean it as soon as I get my AS5, my question still remains about the pressure I should use to put the cooler and the crossbow... I am still researching it

rocket733

Post by rocket733 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:04 pm

You should use as much pressure as the mounting hardware will give you. With a modern cpu which has an Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) it is almost impossible to cause damage to the processor through mounting pressure.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:55 pm

Bending of the motherboard should be avoided though (I had to untighten the screws of the heatsink because the motherboard visibly warped).

LM741C

Post by LM741C » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi, I'm new here but if I'm not mistaken, the lower fan on the PSU chassis on page 2 is installed backwards. The fan should be blowing towards the PSU, not towards the harddrives.

Eyedolon

Post by Eyedolon » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:06 pm

nice catch! Hadn't even noticed, and I've been watching this build fairly closely =S

Kate

Post by Kate » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:08 am

Rocket733,

I tightened it the most I could, didnt notice any difference!

Thank you!

Spookmineer,

The motherboard is not bent, I know that the MB is pretty fragile I would not tighten the screws till it bends, actually i dont even think I have enough muscular power to do that!

Thank you!

LM741C,

You mean pushing air inside the case? right?

You are correct it was installed backwards, it was blowing air out, when it should be pushing air in, it was corrected before, but latelly that lower fan has been removed! :)

Thank you!

Eyedolon,

LOL! Thank you! :)

lucas82

Post by lucas82 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:05 pm

Nice rig, Kate! :wink:

martinatycova

Post by martinatycova » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:12 pm

HI buddy
I am also thinking to build my own computer like you..It seems like you have purchased all stuff for your computer .Right now I am gathering all required information so I would not get any problems like you which I have seen and people also suggested you in reply..If you have any guide for that then please let me know..

Kate

Post by Kate » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:58 pm

lucas82,

Thank you!

martinatycova,

I dont know of any guides, for most of the purchases I relied on SPCR recommendations.

Its been a while since I dont post into this forum or update my own thread.

My computer changed a lot from what it was, I added a watercooling setup to further decrease noise, and I ended up with a nice result!
As for temperatures... well I have to say that in my case WC solved ALL my problems including SPP and MCP which for me was the biggest problem.

I have spent quite a decent amount of money in cooling solution, and I also spent some money into good "silent" fans...

For the WC setup I bought:

- Swiftech triple rad;
- Swiftech MCP 350 (the most silent pump I could find);
- Swiftech Rez Micro v2;
- the full Bitspower black freezer solution for the 790i (3 parts);
- 10 ft of Tygon tubing;
- Corsair additive;
- 3 noctua fans;
- Koolance Shroud.

and for the CPU Only i got the Corsair H50, which, I might just trade it for a CPU block, and in the future buy another 2 fan radiator, for the CPU + SPP and MCP and leave the triple RAD for the VGAs.

The end result is this:

I will post more pictures later on, I took many many pictures of the setup when i built it... I need to select the most relevant ones.

Also WC is no fun, I took my DAYS to built and many many phone calls, and visits from some friends to help me with it!

tubing detail for the 3 MB Waterblocks by bitspower, note the 90o elbows.

Triple rad installation, with the 90o elbows

Here is a video, hosted @ Youtube, to "show" the noise... Sorry for the quality its webcam video, the enviroment is not really noisy but the camera pics a lot of hiss...

BAD QUALITY VIDEO

:)[/code]

colm

Post by colm » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:51 pm

wow. :shock:

my first build was an athlon 900, oc'd to 1ghz, and it died, lots of noise, crazy case.

nice setup you have there. The temps are amazing. I have never seen that, unless that is just started? not warmed up yet? nice build.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:52 am

colm wrote:nice setup you have there. The temps are amazing. I have never seen that, unless that is just started? not warmed up yet? nice build.
Both my C2Qs idle around those temperatures (well, 36-40C, 31C is.. impressive) on air cooling, but they're far from silent systems (not a lot of point with a 1.5U rackmount switch a meter away).

Kate

Post by Kate » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:06 am

colm,

actually the computer was up for like 5 hours, but at the time i took the screenshot the computer was idle...

Monkeh16,

ya... I never thought WC would make temps drop that much!! I am pretty amazed... if you read the 1st pages on this thread you can check the temperatures I was getting BEFORE the WC system.

---

Thank you!