It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: fairly quiet gaming rig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:25 pm 

so built a new gaming rig over the holidays, as u can see from some of the parts, I've been taking advice from SPCR's recommended and forums :) thanks guys

parts are:
case: antec p182
CPU: core i7 920 @ 3.2ghz
CPU heatsink: thermalright ulta 120 LGA1366
Mobo: EVGA x58
ram: 6g G skill 1333 ddr3
vid card: sapphire 1gb 4870 (non reference)
power supply: corsair HX620w modular
hard drive: Samsung F1 1 tb
fans: 4 scythe 120mm slipstreams at 800rpm

only just finished building it 2 days ago, and so far its not bad. fairly quiet, but not silent. One thing thats kinda disturbing me is my samsung HD. im not sure if its a common occurrence but every so often i hear a "thumping" noise from it? ive read that it could be the read/write noise but its quite distinct and loud. i might have to RMA it....

Also the vid card has been doing fine, i don't really notice it but as some ppl have commented on other threads here, on start up, the fan spins to max for like 2 seconds i guess to warm up?

I was originally planning on getting the enermax MODU 525 power supply instead but ncix did not have it in stock and there was no ETA on them for restock.... but the corsair is pretty darn quiet and they have better customer service so that's good.

oh and word of advice for people that are planning to have a very similar setup, the 8 pin connector on the evga x58 mobo is placed pretty badly, and the 8 pin cable on the corsair power supply was JUST long enough, took me a good hour just to get it in, was kinda scared i would rip the whole cable out of the box...

Also the thermalright ulta 120 LGA1366 comes with this new plastic fan case to put on the heatsink.

when i put it on, i was horrified to notice that the plastic fan case actually touched the top fan and also slightly hovered over the first ram slot.... so i had to buy oem fan clips so nothing was touching or in the way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:29 pm 

8pin seems to always be hard on bottom-PSU boxes. You can get an extension cable from the 'egg, and I'm likely going to do that when I fix up my box next.

I believe (could be wrong) that the fans spin at that speed on startup because the requisite parts of the computer aren't in place limiting them. Probably a safety measure.

How quiet is quiet, and how hot does the case run? I've had thoughts about moving my rig to a P182 for noise, but I'm not sure if it can handle the thermal output of my rig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:02 am 

its only the video card fan that speeds up that fast, the others are fine.

about being quiet, i think the p182 is a good choice for the basics of a silent/fairly quiet build. the stock antec tricools aren't that quiet so it would be good to replace those and installing a intake fan is pretty important as well.

temps wise... i haven't done a full stress test yet (should get around to doing that), but according to speedfan, idle the hottest cpu core was at 33 degrees Celsius and the max ive seen it is at around 60c after playing left4dead for a couple hours. I'm just making a guess here, but at full load im thinking it'll only hit around max 70-75c which is hot, but safe still

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:17 pm 

I misspoke. I refer to them in plural because I have two GTX260s that do the same thing, and the two 7600GTs I used to have did as well.

So you're running ~20C hotter then my rig at load, with a higher thermal demand but not by too much. I have a new-revision Q6600 that caps at 55*C under full load. How hot does the video card run?

This is very encouraging =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:23 pm 

Tell me Denscafon, do you notice any noise coming from the motherboard's cooler or is it pretty quiet? I'm building a similar rig and I'm concerned about that (http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=449281)

Thanks!