Is the Solo too small for my build? ( heat issues?)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

armornone

Is the Solo too small for my build? ( heat issues?)

Post by armornone » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:49 pm

The solo looks like a perfect case for me except I think it might be too cramp and tiny to have any serious hardware and might be too hot.

If they are aware that this small case causes overheating issues, why not make it slightly larger so everyone is happy.

Am I going to have issue if I use this computer to play games?

I7 870 processor ( quadcore with hyper threading)

1 Game video card, something mid rage with good performance for its value( not cutting edge)

1 extra video card( non-gaming) for 4 monitor support.

3 hard dirves( 2 of them in raid 0 mode)

500 watt power supply?

Is there any case that can be compared to the Solo but a little bigger for better airflow?

Thanks.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:05 pm

The Solo is a very nice case, but as you've probably noticed, they don't have the greatest airflow.

That being said, I don't think you'd have a problem. Even with the i7 870 and a gaming graphics card, as long as you have steady airflow, two things will keep you in check:

1) Your system probably isn't going to be running at stock speeds 100% of the time. Intel Speedstep and EIST will automatically lower the clock rate and lower temps of your system.

2) Your GPU will have similar technology, clocking it down while it's "idling" or in 2D mode.

As long as you have good coolers (Noctua NH-D14, Prolimatech Megahalems, etc) your CPU will remain pretty cool, even with a lower RPM fan.

The same can be said about the GPU, but there are plenty of reference coolers that are fairly quiet. If you're looking for a specific range of cards, you should definitely search deeper into what other brands make the same card with different coolers.

If I were to compare anything to the solo, to be honest, there isn't a whole lot, but maybe a Lian Li case, probably the PC-7B, but cases are all a matter of opinion. In a few days I'll be migrating into an Antec LanBoy Air, to see what it's like, but even at that, the case is 80 or 90% mesh, so having a WD Raptor means 0 silence at that point.

For the kind of computer you describe, I would ask the question, why not the P182/3 series?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:54 pm

As long as you don't expect silence or super low temps in the GPU when playing games, you'll be perfectly happy with the Solo. None have its built in elastic suspension. Very few cases are as sturdy -- the side cover captive spring loaded thumbscrews are perfect. I believe they fixed the often breaking power & reset switches a while ago.

mentawl

Re: Is the Solo too small for my build? ( heat issues?)

Post by mentawl » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:10 am

armornone wrote:If they are aware that this small case causes overheating issues, why not make it slightly larger so everyone is happy.
I'm kinda intrigued, I've not heard of the case causing overheating issues really. I've owned a Solo, and if anything the cooling on it was actually a little better than my P183 - although I'll grant that the P183 has filtered intakes which my Solo lacked after I got finished with it. I can't really think of any cases that would significantly beat the Solo in terms of cooling capability while also retaining the same quietening features.

And anyways, they did make the slightly larger Solo. That's the P183 :P.

speedkar9

Re: Is the Solo too small for my build? ( heat issues?)

Post by speedkar9 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:53 am

Two thing's I'd watch out for in the Solo:
The video card length and its fit against the hard drive bays.
The heat from the CPU rising into the PSU causing it to ramp up (assuming your using a 120mm fan PSU).

I still forsee you having heat dissipation problems with the Solo for a system with a mid/high heat CPU and GPUs and 3 hard drives. It would be hard to keep quiet and cool with 2x92mm fans (@5v?) up front and a 120mm (@5-7v?) fan in the rear.

With 3 drives, the Solo isn't upgradable anymore... (unless you use the 5.25 bays) I'd consider something bigger, such as the R3 or P183 or maybe even a 300/ CM elite. :)

protellect

Post by protellect » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:27 am

I run pretty much all antec solo's at work, every machine is a quad core and usually has a pretty decent video card [240GT or 5670].

Adding in the two front fans [I use low RPM scythe's] seems to keep everything cooler, especially the HDD.

With what you have listed, you won't have any problems, though I'd recommend you populate the two 92mm fans in the front.